gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:53:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wipe Out music video - I gotta know the story  (Read 2636 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:57:32 AM »

I've said it here before: I've loved the Wipe Out collaboration with the Fat Boys since I received Still Cruisin' as a birthday present when I was 12 (my first BB album).  In fact, I used the song to introduce my young children to the Boys.  My one and only gripe with the track is the echoed splash sound that sounds like it was recorded with a micro recorder in a bathtub.

So the other day my kids and I are You-tubing Beach Boys stuff and the music video for this song comes up.  Holy. Crap.

First of all, there's strong speculation that Brian's voice is the only one we hear in the song.  It does sound like a wall of Brians to my ear.  And yet the only Boys we see in the video are Mike and Bruce. (As other posters have pointed out, Brian and Al also appear).

Then there's the disjointed narrative.  Starts with a boxing press conference?  Some trash talk, then we're cruising Times Square.  Weird cut-aways, on-screen text, etc.  Interesting (although I suppose appropriate if it's true that only Brian is singing) that Neither Mike or Bruce sing even though the Fat Boys are shown rapping their parts.  If you didn't know who Mike and Bruce were, you'd wonder why there are no Beach Boys in this collaboration.  The whole thing looks like it was thrown together by 5 different directors and 12 different videographers-- in one take.

Then there's Bruce's cheesy, make-you-want-to-punch-him looks at the camera.  Especially the one where they're entering some building and Bruce ogles at the camera as he walks in.  

So, Beacherati, what's the story on the horrible video to this masterpiece of a song Wink
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:06:40 PM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

Maybe I misremember - but aren't Brian and Al in the video as well?

I'm too lazy to watch the actual video but googled for screenshots:

ALSO: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5804.0.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:08:21 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »

Maybe I misremember - but aren't Brian and Al in the video as well?

Must have missed that snippet!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:58:07 PM »

Brian is fairly prominent in the video and I do think Al is driving the car and even on the turntable!  Carl's image appears briefly on a surfboard behind Brian towards the end.  And let's be nice to Mike and Bruce here -- I think they fit in just right with the fun cheesiness of this video! 

Can't say anything definite about the vocals but sounds like Mike in the bass vocal.

And the Human Beat Box was one of the greats.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:26:03 AM »

Don't forget the BBs also make a cameo in the FB's accompanying movie, "Disorderlies". IIRC, just Brian, Bruce and Mike.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »

Don't forget the BBs also make a cameo in the FB's accompanying movie, "Disorderlies". IIRC, just Brian, Bruce and Mike.

According to IMDb, no BB in that movie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »

Brian is definitely in it - just at the very end a very brief cameo - maybe 5 seconds from memory. One other is with him - think it could've been Mike. I bought the
DVD based on this.

This is all just from memory as I refuse to actually pull out the DVD just to add some minor details.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »

Brian is definitely in it - just at the very end a very brief cameo - maybe 5 seconds from memory. One other is with him - think it could've been Mike. I bought the
DVD based on this.

This is all just from memory as I refuse to actually pull out the DVD just to add some minor details.

Brian, Mike, and Bruce are all in the film (briefly at the end). Disorderlies is a big guilty pleasure for me. Surprisingly not as awful as one might think.  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNB1aEqzDU
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »

yep, that's the Beach Boys.  Al must have been parking the Jeep.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »

yep, that's the Beach Boys.  Al must have been parking the Jeep.
... or waiting for the bus. Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx