gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:35:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Dreams Movie  (Read 10292 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »

I was watching this movie Tonight and i see this

The disclaimer at the start of the film is worth quoting: `... based on an unauthorised biography of the Beach Boys. Dialogue and scenes interpretive of this material have been created for dramatic purposes. The music in the film is not performed by the Beach Boys.

If the Beach Boys did not do the Music in the movie who did the Music then

I had a fast Life
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:49:10 AM »

The movie is based on the Steve Gaines book Heroes & Villains. I think the credits list who supplied the music.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »

am I dreaming, but didn't Jeff Foskett have something to do with the soundtrack?.....

not sure on where I 'imagined' that...

RickB
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »

Greenwood's great as Dennis in that flick! He doesn't look like him too much, but it's a very respectful, human portrayal .....

As cheeseball as the thing is, it reignited my childhood love for The Beach Boys. I remember watching it on the tiny little TV in my room, long after I was supposed to be in bed. I was still living in Hawthorne at the time and was simply blown away that these guys, this whole amazing thing sprang from my hometown.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

Greenwood's great as Dennis in that flick! He doesn't look like him too much, but it's a very respectful, human portrayal .....

As cheeseball as the thing is, it reignited my childhood love for The Beach Boys. I remember watching it on the tiny little TV in my room, long after I was supposed to be in bed. I was still living in Hawthorne at the time and was simply blown away that these guys, this whole amazing thing sprang from my hometown.

"An American Family" ignited my love for The Beach Boys.  Seeing that on TV as a boy solidified my BB fandom!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »

I've heard there's a lot of inaccuracies in the movie but I still want to see it. I've only seen clips of it on youtube.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »

I think the film's pretty awful. But I have nothing but praise for the person who portrayed Murry Wilson. He was the right choice and his performance was excellent.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »

I've heard there's a lot of inaccuracies in the movie but I still want to see it. I've only seen clips of it on youtube.

I've got it on DVD, but it's pretty hard to find.

There's one copy available on VHS on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Dreams-Story-Beach-Movie/dp/6303085237/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406602411&sr=8-1&keywords=summer+dreams+1990
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

The guy who played Murry was great. The actor who played Dennis wasn't too bad, but he doesn't look anything like the real Dennis Wilson. The rest of the cast sucks. Bad acting, bad wigs. The music was performed by some of Weird Al's musicians. Summer Dreams is a crap movie. Sorry Surfer, I know you like this movie but it's the worst film about the Beach Boys. I can't imagine that any of the Beach Boys like that movie at all.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

I wouldn't mind getting "American Family" on dvd, that one was really good, but from what I've seen from this movie, I never wanted to own it. I was hoping someone would upload the whole thing on Youtube or something  LOL.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:55 AM »

I've seen it in the German dubbed version, I think it isn't all bad, some of it is quite enjoyable.

Whoever translated the movie into German, he or she obviously mixed up "headliner (festival)" with "headlines (newspaper)" and so got at least one line of dialogue absolutely wrong. Who knows how much else was translated incorrectly.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »

I think the film's pretty awful. But I have nothing but praise for the person who portrayed Murry Wilson. He was the right choice and his performance was excellent.

Agree - Murry was played so well, by someone who really resembles him. IIRC you see him reflected in the mirror of that control booth, and he truly looks like some angry Deity...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »

I have this on dvd. It was included in a "box" with two other films. What a horrible piece of crap it is. The other movie, or TV-series, whatever, like others have already stated, was ok though. Everything from the score to acting and technical side are just plain bad in that Summer Dreams movie.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »

am I dreaming, but didn't Jeff Foskett have something to do with the soundtrack?.....

not sure on where I 'imagined' that...

RickB

Probably not. NONE of the music sounds remotely Beach Boys-esque AT ALL. The voices sound like they're on helium.

Foskett IS on the soundtrack of An American Travesty, though...when Brian demos "In My Room," the real (2000) Brian's voice sings until the high part, when Jeff takes over.

Also, when the Sunrays are shown recording, the music is actually Foskett's remake of "I Live For The Sun," from his Thru My Window album. Guessing there were licensing issues or something.

Recently wathced Summer Dreams with a bunch of friends. One in particular shrieked her head off when the teen-aged "Dennis" said to "Brian," "You know what I love about seagulls?"

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »

I liked the movie..... I saw it as a kid, and never thought of the unfactual stuff and the exaggerated things..... and fake beards.....

you see all that later....

still, I watch it regularly, and while I'm a BB nut, I don't take it so seriously.....

Yes, Murray was the best part of the movie, I liked the Brian guy..... while he looked nothing like him, as Dennis......

but I did like the parts they played...... seemed pretty close to character in parts....

RickB
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »

Those of you with Roku, you can stream part one of the movie (roughly up to Pet Sounds) on the Crackle movie channel.

Funny you mention it, I watched it just a week ago. The Brian portrayal just made him look like a fidgeting, frightened basket case - even in the studio. Of course, the Mike character would speak up and straighten things out...  LOL

The Van Dyke Parks party scene is my favorite btw. Some real thespian chops going down there maaaaan!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »

When a film becomes generally known as "the movie with the fake beards", you just know it can't be anything special.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:45:20 AM »

'Surf music...is dead!' 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:58 AM »

I always loved Bret Wheadon's take on Summer Dreams (from www.beachboys.com):

REVIEW: If Looking Back With Love is your idea of a good Beach Boys album, then have I got the movie for you.  Summer Dreams has so many bad elements it's hard to know where to begin.  For one thing, where else can you find a movie that has achieved a degree of infamy for it's facial hair?  The fake beards here look like they were swiped from the Planet of the Apes.  Then there's the fact-impared script; derived from Steven Gaines' book Heroes and Villains, this should tip any curious viewer right off the bat that this is not going to be Masterpiece Theatre.  The film takes the point of view that Dennis was the most interesting Beach Boy, and is told from his point of view.  We see the young, 35-year-old 'teenage' Wilsons cavorting about on the beach, at home with Father (the perfectly-cast Arlen Dean Snyder as Murray) and starting their own band.  We see Sensitive Brian, the Chubby, Quiet Carl, the Hunky Wildboy Dennis (played with aplomb by Bruce Greenwood), the Balding Mike and that Other Guy all shuffling around making great music.  Then... Brian gets psychedelic!  Mike gets a beard!  Then they all get beards!  Dennis sings a song that he never wrote!  Then it's 1985 and everyone joins in for the 4th of July at the Nation's Capitol.  Inspiring!  Ugh.  A couple of the actors manage to capture some of the essence of the characters they portray, but on the whole, this is is Grade-C government process cheeze-whiz, and a poor introduction to a complex band.

(I hope I'm allowed to cite this.)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 06:06:34 AM »

I'd say Bret Wheadon's take is accurate.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »

When a film becomes generally known as "the movie with the fake beards", you just know it can't be anything special.

Well...the fake facial hair in general is applicable to both -- the unmatching beards in Summer Dreams, and "Mike"'s mustache falling of in An American Tragedy.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »

This movie is a guilty pleasure for me. I also grew up with the german overdubs.

Karen Lamm had something to do with this film IIRC.

The music is done very good. I don't know exactly who recorded it. But Greenwood wrote about how he got drum lessons for this movie. He also played the Dennis-song in the movie (see below).
Bruce Greenwood is the highight of the movie (which all in all is more about Dennis' time in the group). He gives a wonderful romantic interpretation of the tragic figure Dennis Wilson.
Of course there are quite a few inaccuracies (whoever got the idea that Dennis didn't play/sing on the records?!) and much of the story is missing. But I like this one much better than An American Family. The latter is too much of a nostalgic look with cheesy costumes an all around plastic feel imo. "Summer dreams" at least has the story taken place in a real life situation.

I love the song "Dennis" is playing to Karen, which was written especially for the movie. It is just beautiful and I really could see Dennis writing something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaugccN6njk

BTW here's the trailer for the movie:

http://www.zimbio.com/watch/iHgSgPzxGHa/Summer+Dreams+Story+Beach+Boys/Bruce+Greenwood

And something I have to ask. In the scene where Dennis picks up Karen, there's a song played in the bar on the radio. Does anyone know which song that is? I heard it once on the radio about ten years ago. I really like it and would love to have it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »

I have a super vague recollection of someone mentioning years back that Greenwood thought well enough of the movie that he would screen it for friends for some time after the movie aired.

This movie is awesome, as in "best worst movies" awesome. I watched this with a non-fan once, and they obviously didn't find it as funny since they weren't aware of all the factual inaccuracies. But they got a kick out of the awful stereotypes and bad bears, etc.

They also agreed with me that the guy playing Murry was sufficiently terrifying. I though the Murry in "Summer Dreams" was much more effective than the one in "An American Family." However inaccurate it is, that scene where he snaps and comes out into the studio is briefly intense.

I still randomly quote lines from this movie. "You're out of the band buckwheat!", "Duh, Al.", "I can't have music in my head if I'm always on the road!"

I recently saw the guy who played Mike in "Summer Dreams" in some sitcom, and funnily enough he kind of looks like Mike does now. Goatee, white hair, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »

I recently saw the guy who played Mike in "Summer Dreams" in some sitcom, and funnily enough he kind of looks like Mike does now. Goatee, white hair, etc.

Your'e right!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2427028224/nm0761389?ref_=nm_ov_ph
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »

Your'e right!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2427028224/nm0761389?ref_=nm_ov_ph
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:05:41 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx