gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:54:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue - Original vs Reissue  (Read 19583 times)
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »

I'd love to see some pictures of the mobile and posters.

My POB collection consists of:

1 original vinyl pressing of POB
1 original vinyl promo of POB (the hand written letter version)
2 sealed vinyl copies of the 3 lp POB (blue vinyl) released on Sundazed
1 copy of the legacy premier edition of POB 2 cd set

not part of POB but I also have a copy of the UK Dennis Wilson Sound of Free / Lady 7" vinyl
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

Love this geeky collector part of this thread!  Mikie, your list is making me drool.  I enjoyed seeing some of your rare stuff after the Berkeley reunion show but apparently you were hiding a bunch of your primo rarities!

Rich, I think I have one or both of these on Mp3/Mp4 but not CD. These are good ones!

1. Copies of the POB & Bambu Radio Sampler cd featuring exclusive radio edit of the Taylor Hawkins version of Holy Man plus 4 other songs
2. I also have a few (not extra copies though) of the POB one hour radio special promo cds.  

And like I alluded to you and your friend before, most of my collection was locked up in storage at the time of your visit. Virginia and I got married since then, and soon after we moved into our new place, I caught Bgas peeking over the back fence when I got home from work one night. So since then I keep Guido my Doberman unchained in the yard.

One of these days I need to pick up the Sundazed POB set on blue vinyl. I'll probably never play it anyway. Always thought it would be cool to have POB on blue vinyl on the Caribou label.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:48:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

Lee, nice collection. What is this:

1 original vinyl promo of POB (the hand written letter version)

Is this the one Jon or Bgas are talking about above? My promo POB albums have white Caribou labels and I think square timing promo stickers on the front covers.

This one has a promo stamp on back cover, no timing strip on cover, and not white label. Is this the one you have, Lee?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dennis-Wilson-Pacific-Ocean-Blue-LP-Rare-PROMO-Beach-Boys-/251482454437?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a8d85b9a5

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »

No, that's not the one I have.

I took a picture of the jacket and label but they are too big of files to post on this board.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:09:10 PM by lee » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »

Oh yeah the handwritten DW promo of the POB LP is definitely rarer than the 91 CD, only 300 of those LP's were pressed (most also have "advance copy" on the label which is different from the regular white label promo), at least a few thousand of the 91 CD were distributed. There's some other stuff not on Mikie's list that is really rare, like the test pressings you alluded to, only a handful of those around, and there is an "advance" POB cassette from April 77 with Brother Studio labels on it, that's rare. There were some official POB t-shirts from '77 too, never seen one for sale, but I think I know who has one. And Carl wore one on the Australian tour.

I've never even seen (pictures or in person) any of those items above nor have I seen them for sale. Forgot that I still have an 8-track tape of POB too. Were there retail cassettes of the album made? I know Dennis did a couple of POB signings (Licorice Pizza or Peaches Records & Tapes?) so whoever was standing in line probably still has an autographed copy. Way back in about 1980, a DJ at KOME radio San Jose had an autographed copy of POB and offered it to me for 100 bucks and I passed on it. DAMN! I still kick myself for not buying it.

Then there's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-BEACH-BOYS-DENNIS-WILSON-DRUM-FLIGHT-CASE-Used-1975-1983-/151176566367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2332d3565f

yes, of course there are regular cassettes. 
and I know some folks on this board have this recent CD promo:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENNIS-WILSON-Still-Music-Dennis-Wilson-promo-publishing-sampler-CD-/111421615806   

Did you forget to mention your promo and stock copies of the "You and I"  45, Mikie?   Or did I miss it in the list. 

And there are countless CD and LP issues from countries around the world of Dennis Wilson 45/LPs, of course including the Dennis Wilson and Rumbo 45s...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »

Did you forget to mention your promo and stock copies of the "You and I"  45, Mikie?   
And there are countless CD and LP issues from countries around the world of Dennis Wilson 45/LPs, of course including the Dennis Wilson and Rumbo 45s...

I did forget my singles. I have the U.S. stock copy of "You and I/Friday Night" and the UK version, "River Song/Farewell My Friend" single w/ps. Who knows why they're different A sides. Dennis (or CBS/Caribou) probably couldn't make up their minds. "You & I" is good, but "River Song" with the Double Rock Baptist Choir is miles above it.

And I take it back about having the POB press kit. I don't think I have it after all.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »

I did forget my singles. I have the U.S. stock copy of "You and I/Friday Night" and the UK version, "River Song/Farewell My Friend" single w/ps. Who knows why they're different A sides. Dennis (or CBS/Caribou) probably couldn't make up their minds. "You & I" is good, but "River Song" with the Double Rock Baptist Choir is miles above it.

Heck Mikie!  They're completely different records, both A and B sides!!  

Just remembered I have  what could be the rarest Promo POB related item !! An in store 8 Track tape put out by "Soundaround, Inc" in November 1977;

The tape has voiceover and partial tracks for 3 tracks from POB: Friday Night, POB, You & I; here's a chance to hear one of them:            https://www.sendspace.com/file/kevt28
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:24:15 PM by bgas » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »

Have a couple of UK pressings of the original vinyl and one Canadian promo (not white label)

Have a cassette of (I assume) the 91 reissue (sadly now devoid of music) and a couple of copies of the CD version.

Also the 2008 legacy release, a 2-CD jewel case reissue, a 1CD jewel case reissue of POB with bonus tracks. And a sampler CD or two with the Holy Man radio edit.

“We live in divisive times.”
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48:43 AM »

Love this geeky collector part of this thread!  Mikie, your list is making me drool.  I enjoyed seeing some of your rare stuff after the Berkeley reunion show but apparently you were hiding a bunch of your primo rarities!

I am kicking myself for not picking up the 3 lp POB.  But I do have two copies of the original on vinyl.

I have a bunch of extra copies of dennis stuff besides the original POB on vinyl if anyone ever wants to strike up a trade or some such.

List of Dennis EXTRAS on cd:
Original 1991 POB on cd
4 copies of the Legacy Premier Edition with deluxe fold out digipak and extra liners (my favorite version) 2 are still sealed
3 copies of the 2 cd POB w/Bambu
2 copies of the POB & Bambu Radio Sampler cd featuring exclusive radio edit of the Taylor Hawkins version of Holy Man plus 4 other songs

I also have a few (not extra copies though) of the POB one hour radio special promo cds.  Quite weird that one is a 54 minute version and the other is a 59 minute version.  Why have two different promos with the same front cover and slightly different contents.  Weird.  Then I have another radio promo (54:30 running time) issued by Sony BMG but it is different promo with no front or back liner like the previous two I listed.  Why 3 different radio promos for the 2008 release?  Nice to have though.  I also have the radio promo plastic sleeve Holy Man cd with 2 unique edits that are different from the album verson.

I srcoed a nice pre-owned copy of the Blue 3 LP set the other days. waiting for it to come soon.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

ORR very kindly gave me an original pressing of the LP and the 1991 CD.
The vinyl sounds glorious.

Lots of cool info in this thread - a lot of stuff I didn't know about. Thanks for posting that POB clip bgas.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

Lots of cool info in this thread - a lot of stuff I didn't know about. Thanks for posting that POB clip bgas.

Glad you liked it! 

NOT POB, but perhaps some folks would like to hear Brian mention Murry's "Two Step Side Step" and listen to the Herbal Essence commercial? 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/umyejv

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »

NOT POB, but perhaps some folks would like to hear Brian mention Murry's "Two Step Side Step" and listen to the Herbal Essence commercial? 

https://www.sendspace.com/file/umyejv

The first definitely, the second .... o dear... but we've heard weirder stuff in the past (for example I Get Around used for a tampon commercial - not kidding)

Seriously: cool recording, bgas !

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »

Sorry for the late response,

the hanging mobile is based on the folded out LP front, but has additional photos and text on the side. From what I am reading here, this was a release launch special product for the Australian market. It is in my parent's home in Australia, and I reside in Germany, so I won't get to photograph it until January next year. However, it looks very similar to this, although from 1977 not 2008:

http://www.promo-team.de/cds/juni-08/dennis-wilson-poster.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:15:01 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »

I remember the two record stores I most frequented back in the day were Tower and Record Factory. They both had promo posters of the P.O.B. album pinned on the wall in addition to multiple unfolded empty record sleeves displayed on the wall.

Sounds like that's what they did here - made a mobile out of an unfolded album cover and added more pictures and text. Cool!

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »

As promised here is my display piece from the Aussie release of POB. Sunnies included as a size reference.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:39:03 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »

As promised here is my display piece from the Aussie release of POB. Sunnies included as a size reference.

Like! Very much.

Where did you score that, Mooger?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 04:21:59 PM »

I've got a sealed cassette tape reissue.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »

2. I also have a few (not extra copies though) of the POB one hour radio special promo cds.

Mikie, apols for picking this one up so late after the day… is this the special narrated by Roger Daltrey that was broadcast on BBC Radio here in the UK?

Thanks in advance…
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:53:01 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »

I picked that up from Stephen McParland in the early 80's.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:23 AM »

For those still looking to buy the 3LP issue, it is here from a very reasonable £36.67 plus the original from £20(?)

http://www.discogs.com/Dennis-Wilson-Pacific-Ocean-Blue/master/95177

If anyone is in any doubt, please please please buy the 3LP version-the entire package is majestic and a real tribute to the album and Dennis
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

I've going through my record collection and cataloging everything, and I should be able to post my entire Dennis Wilson collection in a few days.

But in the process of going through boxes I found I have doubles of these:
Pacific Ocean Blue & Bambu - Radio Sampler w/ front and back inserts (2 copies)
Pacific Ocean Blue - One Hour Radio Special (54:00 version) w/ front and back inserts
Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu - Electronic Press Kit DVD-R (7 minutes, 41 seconds). Paper label on DVD-R
CBS MUSIC FOR EVERY EAR sampler 33 1/3 2-EP set with "River Song" (record only; no cover)

I have 3 copies of the rare advanced promo watermarked 2-CD-R set.  These were numbered on the discs (XXX out of YYY), and allegedly were entered into a database with the name of the recipient, so if a copy were show up on eBay or in a record store, Sony/BMG could trace it back to the recipient.  But here is the strange thing:
One copy is XXX out of 350
One copy is XXX out of 500
One copy is XXX out of 825

The 350 and 500 sets have each disc in a separate clear "safety sleeve" envelope with white cloth backing, with a printed back insert with the contents of the disc.  But the 825 set comes in a clear gatefold envelope, with a front cover insert and one back insert listing both CD's contents.  All of the discs are Taiyo Yuden 80-minute CD-R's (with "80 PGxxxx" serial numbers), which are legitimate high-quality industrial CD-R's commonly used by the major record labels.  Very weird... I guess I have to keep all three...

Lee
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:38:51 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »

I meant to add that I have a copy of the ADVANCE PROMOTION white label LP, but it came in a plain white sleeve.  My guess is that the owner kept the personalized cover.  David Beard is the luckiest one -- he found a copy with the cover, personalized "To David", in a local record shop (Repo Records) back in the '80s.  The owner bought it in a collection, and held it until the next time David came in the store.  Talk about karma...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:51:49 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 08:47:40 AM »

I've going through my record collection and cataloging everything, and I should be able to post my entire Dennis Wilson collection in a few days.

Pacific Ocean Blue - One Hour Radio Special (54:00 version) w/ front and back inserts
Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu - Electronic Press Kit DVD-R (7 minutes, 41 seconds). Paper label on DVD-R
CBS MUSIC FOR EVERY EAR sampler 33 1/3 2-EP set with "River Song" (record only; no cover)

I have 3 copies of the rare advanced promo watermarked 2-CD-R set.  These were numbered on the discs (XXX out of YYY), and allegedly were entered into a database with the name of the recipient, so if a copy were show up on eBay or in a record store, Sony/BMG could trace it back to the recipient.  But here is the strange thing:

The 350 and 500 sets have each disc in a separate clear "safety sleeve" envelope with white cloth backing, with a printed back insert with the contents of the disc.  But the 825 set comes in a clear gatefold envelope, with a front cover insert and one back insert listing both CD's contents.  All of the discs are Taiyo Yuden 80-minute CD-R's (with "80 PGxxxx" serial numbers), which are legitimate high-quality industrial CD-R's commonly used by the major record labels.  Very weird...

Lee

Best scenario would be to send at least one copy of each to me and I'll verify them for you!

SBonilla
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »

The 350 and 500 sets have each disc in a separate clear "safety sleeve" envelope with white cloth backing, with a printed back insert with the contents of the disc.  But the 825 set comes in a clear gatefold envelope, with a front cover insert and one back insert listing both CD's contents.  All of the discs are Taiyo Yuden 80-minute CD-R's (with "80 PGxxxx" serial numbers), which are legitimate high-quality industrial CD-R's commonly used by the major record labels.  Very weird... I guess I have to keep all three...

Lee
I would say that the sets were for three different departments. One was probably for press, the other two could have been for radio retail. Also, there is the possibility that a set was allocated to an outside promotion/publicity company.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx