gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:32:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New BW gig, 8/30/14  (Read 40519 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »

Probyn was there.
... and Bruce Jardine, too! Picture from Brian's Facebook page:

Well, it was a soundcheck pic. At the Philly C50 soundcheck, quite a few guys were in shorts and other relaxed attire.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »

That's really interesting that Chad from the Fendertones played with Brian.

The for the uninitiated, he's the one on the left doing falsetto in this video (in the plaid shirt).

I support it. And I think it's really cool that multiple factions of The Beach Boys are embracing The Fendertones.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »

God Only Knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2PwodDpMbg
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »

Setlist is up on setlist.fm
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

If I'm a paying customer, I'd much rather see a familiar voice (and face) up there to sing the high parts. Bring back Matt.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »

If I'm a paying customer, I'd much rather see a familiar voice (and face) up there to sing the high parts. Bring back Matt.

If I'm a paying customer, I want to hear the best possible performances whether the singers and players are familiar, family, or total strangers.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »

I feel like this whole situation is as simple as Matt couldn't make the gig last minute and that's it
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

Me, I'm interested in hearing Brian, and everybody else is superfluous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »

I feel like this whole situation is as simple as Matt couldn't make the gig last minute and that's it

I sure hope this is the case because I was really excited to learn that Matt had joined the BW band, and that Foskett had left. And I don't know, it slightly bothers me that there's another guy from a tribute band playing with them. Reminds me of a bunch of the goofs who played with Jan & Dean and Mike's band. All the guys from Papa Doo Run Run and all that. It almost seemed like it was like a farm system. First you start in Papa Doo Run Run or the Endless Summer Surf City Rock 'n Roll Dudes, then you move to Jan & Dean, and then whenever The Beach Boys would lose another long time member, you'd be the new faceless jackass to jump in. You know the names - Randell Kirsch, Chris Farmer, whoever. Who was the jerk-off who smoked cigars on stage? Yuck.

*Yes I know Matt Jardine is also in a Beach Boys tribute group. However, his dad is a guy named Alan Jardine, and he was about as close to being an official Beach Boy as one could be in the '90s, so I'd say he is more than worthy to be there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:53:52 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »

Um... one of those faceless jackasses played in Family & Friends for long enough to end up on the live CD.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

I sure hope this is the case because I was really excited to learn that Matt had joined the BW band, and that Foskett had left. And I don't know, it slightly bothers me that there's another guy from a tribute band playing with them. Reminds me of a bunch of the goofs who played with Jan & Dean and Mike's band. All the guys from Papa Doo Run Run and all that. It almost seemed like it was like a farm system. First you start in Papa Doo Run Run or the Endless Summer Surf City Rock 'n Roll Dudes, then you move to Jan & Dean, and then whenever The Beach Boys would lose another long time member, you'd be the new faceless jackass to jump in. You know the names - Randell Kirsch, Chris Farmer, whoever. Who was the jerk-off who smoked cigars on stage? Yuck.

*Yes I know Matt Jardine is also in a Beach Boys tribute group. However, his dad is a guy named Alan Jardine, and he was about as close to being an official Beach Boy as one could be in the '90s, so I'd say he is more than worthy to be there.
Geez. Have you ever seen a performance of The Fendertones? Every one of those guys has earned the right to play with the big man himself. Besides - as others have already stated - this is probably just a temporary replacement. I'm happy for Chad Odhner.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »

I wouldn't refer to Randall or Chris as 'jackasses', personally.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »

For those of you worried about Matt being replaced by "a jackass", BW's facebook called him a guest vocalist, so he was only subbing for Matt Jardine that night.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »

Brian always sounds great on God Only Knows.

Chad sounded a bit pitchy on the falsetto, but it was his first show.

Is it really possible that no one in Brian's band can handle falsetto?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

I think it sounded a bit weak, personally. He was clipping his notes too...how did he sound on the rest of the show?

Edit

Was referring to Brian on GoK.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:39:57 PM by Solid Snake » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »

I'm surprised anyone cares about the activities of Chad...maybe he'll guest a few more shows max, but most likely this was a one time thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:18:16 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »

Jeez some of the comments are tough. Heres a young guy given a gig of a life time trying to pull off a vocal from almost 50 years ago on probably Brians greatest work. He did ok considering.

The new album has young female guest singers as well. I think it injects a bit of variety myself, and stops the music getting stale.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:34:22 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »

Me, I'm interested in hearing Brian, and everybody else is superfluous.
Personally, I'm interested in the songs being done right. Brian can't always do that, so yes, I am interested that the back up people can sing them well. We love that Brian put together a band musically that can recreate the sound. Just as important that they can do that vocally, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »

Yeah, "jackass" is a little extreme. If they were jerks, then I think it would be OK. But they're good musicians and singers, they're nice guys personally, and they're dedicated, otherwise they wouldn't be up on stage with the Big Boys.

I've seen the term "hack" used too, and I cringe a little bit. Yeah, they're not original band members, but they worked hard to get where they are. Hey, anybody that helps to spread the word of Brian is OK.

That said, where in the hell is Matt?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:00:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »

I totally believe this when I say it: EVERYONE who is currently touring with Mike/Bruce, Al, Brian, or David deserves to be there, and is far from a hack.  Yes, they sometimes go back and forth between bands, but they have to make a living too.  And just because they didn't grow up with the actual Beach Boys themselves doesn't discount their level of talent.

Randell Kirsch is a great guy and a great talent, and very very humble.  Super down to earth whenever I chat with him.  He usually remembers me from previous years that I met him, and I was always impressed with that.  Great falsetto too!  It must have taken a lot of humility to lose a lot of his leads to Christian and to Jeff, but he seems content to just tour with the guys.

Chris Farmer is a great talent as well, and his voice is sorely missed. 

Jeff Foskett has always been a gentleman whenever I met him, and has been an enormous support to Brian over the years.

Matt Jardine has always been really cool in person, and has a killer falsetto as well.  I saw him at a show where no Beach Boys were present (I forget the name of the band).  He was totally not above leading a hula hoop contest with the kids, singing lead and falsetto on I Get Around, etc.  He was super complimentary toward my friend about a picture of Al that he took, and even showed it to Al.

Scott Totten is a relative newcomer to the Beach Boys world in comparison to others, but he has totally embraced the music and has a commitment to being true to the original record.  He is also super friendly with fans, including myself.

I could go on...but suffice it to say, these guys are far from jerks and hacks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »

Well said, Eric!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »

From the BW site. Curt Lambert post.

Matt Jardine was not there, but Chad from the Fendertones was. Brian introduced him as "Chad, who joined the band today!" I talked with his brother, also in the Fendertones and the rest of the "tones" who were seated just across the aisle from me. They were a cheering section for Chad, Brian and Al. We had a lot of fun together rockin' out. They said Chad got the call that morning and they didn't know what the future held for Chad appearing at other concerts on this short tour. He did a wonderful job. Falsetto parts and leads on "Don't Worry Baby" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Brian was singing some falsetto bg harmony on WIBN, which I had never seen him do before, as well as the bridge, "and maybe if we hope and pray...".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »

Brian was singing some falsetto bg harmony on WIBN, which I had never seen him do before
I badly want to hear this.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »

My apologies for not recognizing Chad.  He really did a fine job, I meant no disrespect by referring to him as "some guy" - I just didn't recognize him, having only seen a few Fendertones videos.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »

It is so cool when folks apologize for not knowing something they didn't know. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx