gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:37:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New BW gig, 8/30/14  (Read 40516 times)
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »

So he says the band is better than the Beach Boys and he played only Beach Boys songs last week.

ehhh...Right. Got it. Roll Eyes

I believe he meant his band is made up of better musician's than Mike's "Beach Boys", indicating that they'll be able to perform the BB songs better than Mike's band.
Definitely true!

Who drummed on the C50 tour ?
Are you saying Mike's drummer is better than Brian's? Because that doesn't really have anything to do with which band has better musicians on the whole (Brian's).
But kudos to Mike for winning the "best beach boys drummer" contest.

Sounds like he's suggesting that Stamos is better than Mike D'Amico... Grin
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »

Well Brian's Dad can beat up Mikes<oh wait a second they aren't in first grade> Razz.<lol>  I think at this point both bands usually put on a pretty good show.< which I would have never said 10 years ago>
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »

So he says the band is better than the Beach Boys and he played only Beach Boys songs last week.

I believe he meant his band is made up of better musician's than Mike's "Beach Boys", indicating that they'll be able to perform the BB songs better than Mike's band.
Definitely true!

Are you saying Mike's drummer is better than Brian's? Because that doesn't really have anything to do with which band has better musicians on the whole (Brian's).

That was a nice thing for Brian to say, as he continues to accept the checks that keep comin' in from the outstanding performances of that other band. Swell guy....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »

Ignoring that it's something Brian has said before, and will again, and doubtless doesn't really mean it, hardly a level playing field. Mike's band has seven members, Brian's has eleven.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »

Mike's band has a thin sound compared to BW's wall of sound extravaganza.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2014, 09:02:54 AM »

Definitely true!

That was a nice thing for Brian to say, as he continues to accept the checks that keep comin' in from the outstanding performances of that other band. Swell guy....

Sure, but getting right to the heart of that, even conceding that Mike wrote a lot of lyrics, people don't go out in huge numbers to see poetry readings; without Brian's music...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2014, 09:14:39 AM »

Mike should do poetry of his BBs lyrics at a local poetry night. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »

Definitely true!

Sure, but getting right to the heart of that, even conceding that Mike wrote a lot of lyrics, people don't go out in huge numbers to see poetry readings; without Brian's music...

How about this...Should Mike stop accepting checks from TSS or TWGMTR? He's openly criticized both projects.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

What I meant is despite Brian having had more or less the same group for all these years touring his solo albums he plays safe and plays his old groups songs. I don't have a problem with that but find it disrespectful when he does the 'my bands better' line. Given the age and experience of the group in the 60's of course his band now is better, and so they should be.

If he had the same group of musicians in their teens recording and touring constantly as the Beach Boys did I suspect they would not sound as great as the seasoned group we have today.

Bottom line I guess is he should play all the 'hits' that his 'better' group has had shouldn't he. Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »

Ignoring that it's something Brian has said before, and will again, and doubtless doesn't really mean it, hardly a level playing field. Mike's band has seven members, Brian's has eleven.

And based on Mike's own comments about the composition of a touring band, it is Mike's choice and preference to have a smaller backing band. He has said C50 had too many players "competing for parts." So not that it matters terribly, but it's a very level playing field in that the leaders of the respective bands have chosen the size and composition of their respective backing bands. It would be different if Mike were indicating that he wishes he could have a more robust backing band but can't afford it or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »

That "other band" tours using a trademark that Brian co-owns, and wouldn't have gigs were it not for Brian not only obviously existing in the first place, but allowing that band to use that trademark. As one of the trademark holders, Brian is entitled to that check.

As discussed at relative length on other threads, it's debatable how large of a sum that license fee yields Brian, and it's certainly not as high of a figure as I think some folks might be assuming. In short, the guys in that band touring under the trademark need Brian's trademark more than Brian needs them, or anyone, touring under the name.

To say nothing of, yes, get ready for my grand "Re-Tread" of a worn topic, the fact that in late 2012 Brian wanted to continue touring with all the guys. For some time in at least 2012, Brian didn't want to just sit on his ass and collect licensing fees from the licensed version of the BB's.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »

That "other band" tours using a trademark that Brian co-owns, and wouldn't have gigs were it not for Brian not only obviously existing in the first place, but allowing that band to use that trademark. As one of the trademark holders, Brian is entitled to that check.

As discussed at relative length on other threads, it's debatable how large of a sum that license fee yields Brian, and it's certainly not as high of a figure as I think some folks might be assuming. In short, the guys in that band touring under the trademark need Brian's trademark more than Brian needs them, or anyone, touring under the name.

To say nothing of, yes, get ready for my grand "Re-Tread" of a worn topic, the fact that in late 2012 Brian wanted to continue touring with all the guys. For some time in at least 2012, Brian didn't want to just sit on his ass and collect licensing fees from the licensed version of the BB's.

Maybe Brian feels his band gets closer to the sound he intended than the touring band does. During C50, the musical directors were talking about discovering things in the music they didn't realize was there until they pooled their efforts.

But, yeah. I don't get the whole "Brian's lazy and just sits on his butt collecting from the fruits of Mike's labor" bit.  Brian already did the work that produced the hit songs which in turn created the popular brand name that draws the crowds for Mike's shows. It's the nature of the industry that he can continue to collect on the use of the above. And, yes. Mike wrote the lyrics. But, lyrics alone don't make a song so you can argue that Mike benefits from the fruits of Brian's long hours in the studio 40-50 years ago. Both men's contributions make the Beach Boys what they are. If Mike wants to tour on his own without the benefit of Brian's work, he can do so; but I don't expect sell out crowds for "Looking Back With Love--Live!"

Brian is entitled to whatever compensation he gets. And, as HeyJude pointed out, he was ready to go on the road as a Beach Boy again in 2012.
Nicko1234
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2014, 08:16:58 AM »

And based on Mike's own comments about the composition of a touring band, it is Mike's choice and preference to have a smaller backing band. He has said C50 had too many players "competing for parts." So not that it matters terribly, but it's a very level playing field in that the leaders of the respective bands have chosen the size and composition of their respective backing bands. It would be different if Mike were indicating that he wishes he could have a more robust backing band but can't afford it or something.

Isn`t that just a euphemism for them being too expensive though?  Smiley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

Isn`t that just a euphemism for them being too expensive though?  Smiley

I would say most likely. We can obviously only guess. It’s a very convenient “preference”; to feel that a larger (more expensive) band is not preferable in an artistic/musical sense. Other than the obvious, that stuff like “Shut Down” or “409” doesn’t require a dozen musicians/singers, I can’t think of much of anybody that would say it hurts to have more musicians and singers at their disposal, especially when they are very good at what they do. Yes, I’ve seen a few folks here say they like the “leaner” sound of Mike’s band. I’m the first to agree that some stuff sounds overcrowded if too many singers and musicians are added. But in the grand scheme, this rarely presents an actual problem at Brian or C50 shows, and the benefit is huge (mid-late 60’s material, etc.). The pros hugely outweigh the cons musically. If you don’t need a certain singer or musician on a specific track, they can just shake a tambourine or take a break for a song. The only adornment on Brian’s show that I don’t care for is some isolated cases where they use too much saxophone or other woodwinds from Mertens. I don’t like it when they use the sax as a bass instrument on stuff like “This Whole World” for instance.

But to my previous point, if Brian is willing to pay out for a larger backing band, then it isn’t an unfair comparison to make when comparing that to another band (e.g. Mike’s) if Mike is either unwilling (too expensive) or prefers not (for musical reasons) to have such a large backing band.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »

Listening to the YouTube videos, I do prefer this Fendertone guy's falsetto over Jeff's. Please note this statement contains no innuendo or insinuation about their respective character qualities.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx