gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:04:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M.I.U./L.A. 2-fer, Canadian  (Read 4945 times)
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »

Does anybody own the Canadian issue of the 2000 2-fer for M.I.U./L.A. light album and would they be able to take pictures of the front/back of the Art as well as the front/back of the actual disk? I ask because I recently purchased a copy online and a couple of things make me question it's legitimacy - strange residue from the plastic wrap, strange plastic wrap, when compared to the reissues of Sunflower or Carl and the Passions the black text on the CD is of different thickness, as if the green circle in the middle. Would like to confirm the legitimacy of this product so I can contact the seller if necessary. I will post pictures in a few minutes.
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »

Or rather, I'll only post pictures if that's allowed.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »

pics are fine....nudes especially... Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »

http://tinypic.com/r/25rdqgx/8

http://tinypic.com/r/6gg8hz/8

http://tinypic.com/r/wb9or8/8

http://tinypic.com/r/21opvrp/8
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »

It looks identical to my "USA" copy. 
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »

Ah, good. Was a little pricey so I wanted to make sure.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

It looks legit to me.  I used to have a "UK" pressing as well and it looked the same.
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:12:48 PM »

And what's with the messed up (more than usual) lyrics in the booklet for Hey Little Tomboy?

HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
SIT HERE IN MY LAP
I GOT THINGS THAT I GOTTA TELL YOU

NO MORE SKAREBOARDS, PUT AWAY YOUR BASEBALL MITT
ROUGH LIVIN' DAYS ARE THROUGH             
YOU COULD FIND PLACES TO GO
YOU COULD SEE BOYS LOVE YOU SO

HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
TURN INTO A GIRL
HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
ALL OVER THE WORLD

HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
I'VE BEEN LOOKIN' AT CHA
THINKIN' HOW YOU COULD BE
I SMELL PERFUME
I LIKE JEANS
SO MANY CHANGES I SEE

HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
TURN INTO A GIRL
HEY LITTLE TOMBOY
ALL OVER THE WORLD
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »

Checked my vinyl copies and the lyrics are also like that... Did they think these were less offensive?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »

Isn't the original a line about "no more cut-off jeans"? It could be the person listening wasn't familiar with cut-off jeans or didn't hear the line correctly, for some reason. Sometimes printed lyrics are transcriptions by people listening to the recording, not the lyrics as submitted to the publisher.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:25 PM »

It's been something like 30 years since I saw the original inner sleeve, but as I recall that was how the lyrics were printed back in 1978. That is, incorrectly.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:58 AM »

Me too
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 03:11:16 AM »

I can't find the song on youtube (only the creepier outtake), but i have the line in my head as "let's try some cut off jeans"...?

I'm listening to the rest of the MIU jeff on youtube now at work and it reminds me what an enjoyable set it is. I'd be more than happy if BW's new one was as good as this. And if LA (Light Album) sounded as good as this, instead of the flat thing that came out, it would have been twice as good.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »

If the new album doesn't turn out to be significantly better than MIU, I'm turning in my Brianista badge and flashlight (with secret decoder ring): granted it came after Love You and POB, but even the neophyte I was in 1978 realised that it demonstrated a significant fall from grace. Brian's yet to turn in a truly tedious/inept album*, but an MIU for 2014 would pretty much fit the bill, IMHYEO.

[* although he came damn close with GIOMH]

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »

If the new album doesn't turn out to be significantly better than MIU, I'm turning in my Brianista badge and flashlight (with secret decoder ring): granted it came after Love You and POB, but even the neophyte I was in 1978 realised that it demonstrated a significant fall from grace. Brian's yet to turn in a truly tedious/inept album*, but an MIU for 2014 would pretty much fit the bill, IMHYEO.

Well, at least you’re keeping an open mind about the album and don’t seem at all ready or predisposed to criticize it and think it a fall from grace.   LOL

I can’t imagine turning away from being a fan even if the new album is the sh**tiest album Brian has ever cut. “MIU” isn’t even the band’s worst album. “Summer in Paradise” *should*  have scared anyone away from anything going forward with Mike Love’s name attached to it. Yet, bits and pieces of his 2000’s sessions (“Mike Love Not War” or “Unleash the Love” or whatever it would have or will end up being called) were perfectly fine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 06:51:42 AM »

Yes.

I was skewered on this board for saying basically the same thing last week.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »

Yes.

I was skewered on this board for saying basically the same thing last week.

One certainly shouldn't be "skewered" for this sort of opinion. But it's worth thinking about the possibility that your opinion and motive may be weighed accordingly if you bring up how you're worried or are assuming Brian's new album will be crappy in the middle of a technical discussion of the manufacturing characteristics of the "LA/MIU" Canadian CD. It kind of suggests you have it out for the album and/or Brian when it's brought up outside of any particular context relating to his album.

So, can anyone recommend a good pressing of "Sunflower" on vinyl? Well, I'll tell you one thing. The pressing I have is pretty sh*tty, but you know what I think might be even sh*ttier? Brian's new album........that we haven't heard yet............    LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

Well, at least you’re keeping an open mind about the album and don’t seem at all ready or predisposed to criticize it and think it a fall from grace.   LOL

I can’t imagine turning away from being a fan even if the new album is the sh**tiest album Brian has ever cut. “MIU” isn’t even the band’s worst album. “Summer in Paradise” *should*  have scared anyone away from anything going forward with Mike Love’s name attached to it. Yet, bits and pieces of his 2000’s sessions (“Mike Love Not War” or “Unleash the Love” or whatever it would have or will end up being called) were perfectly fine.

My take on the upcoming album is very simple, like me: we've seen/heard a nine-second clip shot on a cell phone. Some say that they think it's great, others that it's sh*t and that they can hear auto-tune on it. Some insipid scribe thinks it'll probably be a masterpiece because... because... well, just because. Me ? I'm going to wait until I hear a whole song, preferably the whole album, before passing comment, opinion or giving ti my benediction. Could be a masterpiece, could be another MIU - fact is, we don't know. Not that not knowing has ever stopped anyone from making a complete ass of themselves.  Grin

Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

Am I the only one who would love another MIU? At least something that resembles the second side? Embarrassed
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »

Ummm... very possibly.  Cheesy

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »

Am I the only one who would love another MIU? At least something that resembles the second side? Embarrassed

I wouldn't mind transplanting Brian's voice from something like "Matchpoint of Our Love" to the new album. Too bad Brian tuned up his voice a bit from "Love You" in order to single, as AGD puts in in his ComGuide, a love affair related in terms of a tennis match. Poor Brian, got broken just like a serve.  LOL

There are a handfull of good tracks on MIU. "My Diane", though of course not as closely tied to the actual "MIU" project, is the strongest. But if your ears ever bleed listening to something like "Summer in Paradise", you'll be delighted by even something as inconsequential as "Pitter Patter."

And c'mon, "Hey Little Tomboy" is so wrong, so inappropriate and creepy, that it transcends all of that and becomes some kind of weird performance art.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:26:52 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »

MIU might not be great but it is high art compared with GIOMH...
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »

I wouldn't mind transplanting Brian's voice from something like "Sweet Sunday Kinda Love" to the new album. Too bad Brian tuned up his voice a bit from "Love You" in order to single, as AGD puts in in his ComGuide, a love affair related in terms of a tennis match. Poor Brian, got broken just like a serve.  LOL

There are a handfull of good tracks on MIU. "My Diane", though of course not as closely tied to the actual "MIU" project, is the strongest. But if your ears ever bleed listening to something like "Summer in Paradise", you'll be delighted by even something as inconsequential as "Pitter Patter."

And c'mon, "Hey Little Tomboy" is so wrong, so inappropriate and creepy, that it transcends all of that and becomes some kind of weird performance art.

heya .....

can you define which part of 'sunday love' you love of Brian's?Huh  

just so I can listen also....... the lead vocal is Carl Wilson.....?....

and in regards to 'hey little tomboy'...... I think everyone has taken that all out of context....... knowing Brian and the 'innocence' of things in the

way he works........ I would not believe what people think the song means...... think everyone is reading into the lyrics 'Way' too much.....

RickB
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:25:53 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »

I wouldn't mind transplanting Brian's voice from something like "Sweet Sunday Kinda Love" to the new album. Too bad Brian tuned up his voice a bit from "Love You" in order to single, as AGD puts in in his ComGuide, a love affair related in terms of a tennis match. Poor Brian, got broken just like a serve.  LOL

heya .....

and in regards to 'hey little tomboy'...... I think everyone has taken that all out of context....... knowing Brian and the 'innocence' of things in the

way he works........ I would not believe what people think the song means...... think everyone is reading into the lyrics 'Way' to much.....

RickB

Apologies. Meant to say "Matchpoint of Our Love."  Grin

I hate myself for having created a scenario for which I had to type these song titles.  LOL

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »

heya .....

way he works........ I would not believe what people think the song means...... think everyone is reading into the lyrics 'Way' to much.....

RickB

Apologies. Meant to say "Matchpoint of Our Love."  Grin

I hate myself for having created a scenario for which I had to type these song titles.  LOL

hahaha ok!

now I understand!  yes! love his voice on 'matchpoint'!  

now we got the songs right, I 'fully' agree!!!   he sounds 'wickedly great' on that recording....

his vocal improvement is quite a step up on 'love you' whether intentional or not....... who knows?.....

I love 'MIU'..... just for those Brian vocals alone.

RickB
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:29:48 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx