gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:13:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile vocals  (Read 2156 times)
mojoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

Does anyone think all of the vocals for Smile were actually recorded, and perhaps lost? Like good vibrations? (Imagine if we didn't have a completed version of gv, and without any vocal tracks had only the backing tracks to try and guess what the finished track would be like?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »

Columbia vault clearance.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »

Does anyone think all of the vocals for Smile were actually recorded, and perhaps lost?

This anyone doesn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »

Next question!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »

For Those Lei'd In Hawaii, We Salute You!    Cool Guy
mojoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

I wonder why many vocals were never recorded?  It seems like there was disagreement about lyrics, but they stil were sung.  However, many were not... This couldn't have been too difficult to do, unlike editing backing tracks.  Did Brian have second thoughts about the lyrics, and decide not to record some of them? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, just always been curious about the lack of vocals in the SMILE music at we do have.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

I agree. With all the work done on background vocals and even rather minor lead parts (truck driving man), how is it that nobody could spend five goshdarn minutes laying down a lead for "Do You Like Worms"? That's the one that really ticks me off. It's like 99% finished. Damn. Same with "Cabin Essence". Not even a rough guide vocal? C'mon.

Some say Brian was waiting until the last minute in case he wanted to move some fragments around. But were fragments ever really moved around aside from when he pillaged them for Heroes and Villains in January when the album was already kinda screwed? Not really.

The extra vocals that turn up in places like the Barnshine OMP grand finale thing and the Child chorus acetate (still waiting to hear the circumstances related to it's discovery) fuels the fire that some things could have been there at one point in time but for whatever reason they aren't there now.

I'd still love to know what Brian is singing while pounding on the piano during the "Holidays" session. You audio geniuses should have cracked that nut by now.

Why is "Child is Father of the Man" on the album when it seems to need so much more work? Why fart around with trivialities like "Great Shape" and "OMP" when much more fully realized tracks like "Look" and "Holidays" stand by waiting to be finished?

WHEN YOU'VE GONE OVER SOMETHING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN CERTAIN QUESTIONS GET ANSWERED....OTHERS SPRING UP! YOUR MIND PLAYS TRICK ON YOU....YOU PLAY TRICKS BACK!!!! ITS LIKE YOUR UNRAVELING A GIANT REEL OF TAPE THAT SOMEONE KEEPS RECORDING!!! AND RECORDING!! AND RECORDING!!! AND RECORDING!!! AND RECORDING!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:31:15 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

It's a good question that needs to be answered. Maybe it's BW never got the band to do them before the spat near Christmas 1966 and resulting focus on H&V.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »

the spat near Christmas 1966 and resulting focus on H&V.

What "spat near Christmas"?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »

I remember reading that band had a meeting around that time and voted down smile to finish H&V. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5222.msg83882.html#msg83882
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:32:44 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »

So scrap an entire album for the sake of a single? Why would they do that exactly? So they could spend 3 months recording H&V chorus variations? Is this part of the "band fight with Brian during Bernstein special filming" legend that was shot down and exposed as imaginary years ago?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

The link from my last post has a lot of information on the subject. I think the band wanted BW to follow up GV as quick as possible with H&V to keep the momentum going. BW then went on his manic recording spree to finish it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

So scrap an entire album for the sake of a single? Why would they do that exactly? So they could spend 3 months recording H&V chorus variations? Is this part of the "band fight with Brian during Bernstein special filming" legend that was shot down and exposed as imaginary years ago?

There was a major blow-up between Murry and Brian too around the end of 1966, and other disputes which were bubbling under in the band and family also related to the things Murry was doing and saying reached the boiling point in the 2nd half of December 1966. It was beyond the Inside Pop thing you're talking about, but nobody has really pinpointed exactly what was behind the dispute, other than it was a major falling-out. Among the only things described were Murry going around bad-mouthing "Good Vibrations" and telling people (and family) what a mistake it had been for Brian to release it, this being said as it was sitting at or near #1 on the singles charts. And Brian for one assumed or had heard that Murry hired private investigators to watch both he and possibly Carl too over their drug use and activities. And there supposedly was finger-pointing within the band and family over who had been a snitch to even keep Murry informed to any level, leading to believing Murry somehow had them under surveillance.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
mojoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »

I'm also intrigued by how so much time was spent on background vocals, and yet we have no evidence that lead vocals were ever recorded... Do we have all the session tapes for these background vocal sessions? For Cabinessence and surf!so up? If not, could it possibly mean lead vocals were recorded too?
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:39 PM »

Brian seemed to be having a hard enough time deciding what tracks to use for each song, let alone lay lead vocals down on them. I'll be honest, when you listen to how many segments he recorded, re-recorded, pulled out of this song, put into that song, etc., it's hard to keep it all straight. If only pro-tools had been invented in 1965; Brian could've used it to finish SMiLE by Christmas '66, and then hopefully Pro-tools would've gone the way of the dinosaur, because it's ruined music. Next!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx