gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:54:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Must haves for a newer Beach Boys fan  (Read 10221 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Bgas, how did your collection begin?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

Hmm, Good question.  Built on the base of some early LP buys, I suppose, and the quest to have more!  The desire to have as much "stuff" as I could find from the band I loved more than any other.
 I remember having 1 or 2 of the early LPs as my own( not my brothers) having Pet Sounds (enjoying lots of other bands also), and once I could Drive!!  finding BBs records in many little stores/ buying as many copies as I could afford, thinking one day I'd own them all( delusional : every copy of every record) 
Funny, I have this "memory" of seeing an LP " Play Along with the BBs" in a store, but not having the $$ to buy it. Returning later (  a week? two?)the Lp no longer being there.  problem being my "picture" of the LP nothing at all like SOT, but more along the lines of the "BTTYS" Reissue LP cover...  Oh well. what else is a mind for? 

Is that the answer?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »

Hmm, Good question.  Built on the base of some early LP buys, I suppose, and the quest to have more!  The desire to have as much "stuff" as I could find from the band I loved more than any other.
 I remember having 1 or 2 of the early LPs as my own( not my brothers) having Pet Sounds (enjoying lots of other bands also), and once I could Drive!!  finding BBs records in many little stores/ buying as many copies as I could afford, thinking one day I'd own them all( delusional : every copy of every record) 
Funny, I have this "memory" of seeing an LP " Play Along with the BBs" in a store, but not having the $$ to buy it. Returning later (  a week? two?)the Lp no longer being there.  problem being my "picture" of the LP nothing at all like SOT, but more along the lines of the "BTTYS" Reissue LP cover...  Oh well. what else is a mind for? 

Is that the answer?

At what stage did you click up to buying the non-store stuff, ie, test pressings and accetates?

You should have your own ask the honoured guest page, ya know.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »

I think some of you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying when I say I don't "get" Pet Sounds yet.  I recognize the greatness of it, but listening to it all at once didn't make it seem any better for me.  Maybe listening to it in the dark with my headphones will change that as some of you said. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

Also on the mono vs stereo issue, I never really thought anything of it until coming here.  Could someone give me some links of a mono and stereo recording of a song an tell me what to look for?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »

Is that the answer?

At what stage did you click up to buying the non-store stuff, ie, test pressings and accetates?

You should have your own ask the honoured guest page, ya know.

It wasn't until I started seeing collector's ad sheets and Goldmine mag( 1974) That everything broke open! That's when I started trading mails( the snail kind) with other BBs collectors around the USA. Earliest ones I can find  were from a Kevin Arnold in San Antonio. (Wonder whatever happened with him and his collection....  )

I'm thinking I got my first test press from one of the WB sales guys here( St Louis MO) in 76-77( I'm fuzzy on this)  They were pretty good about getting me BBs records once they knew that's all I wanted.
Funny, I remember that when their new releases would come in, most of the boxes of the last month's promos would hit the dumpster. I remember digging thru once and giving up, because there were hundreds of boxes of 45s out there... (Maybe it was only every couple of months)

I think I've posted previously about buying my Red/yellow vinyl Kenny & the Cadets from Derek Bill ( Still missing him!) in what I thought was 73-74; just found the winning auction notice from his August 19th 1978 listing.  

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »

The BBs collector circuit back in the day seemed to have a great group of guys.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »

Bgas, is your entire collection indexed? How much storage space does it occupy?  And what's the Holy Grail for you in terms of still-outstanding in the collection?

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2014, 07:09:47 AM »

Bgas, is your entire collection indexed? How much storage space does it occupy?  And what's the Holy Grail for you in terms of still-outstanding in the collection?

Not all indexed, every time I think about it, I look around and say "Forget It!  too much time"    
As for space, not all that much, it's mostly all in one 14 X 16 feet room, part of my mancave; I don't have most of it "displayed" tho. some on shelves, some in files, posters are mostly rolled in a storage box  

Ahh the grail!  Thats a tough one; I'd of course KILL to actually find that (postulated)full poster with the Smile cover as a portion, but of the items that I keep on my search list I'd venture one of two, neither of which do I think I'll ever see:  

A bag of BBs Party Potato Chips  ( as I've stated before: if these were actually made, why has nobody ever seen ANY? )  

The BBs Deluxe 3 Pack set on 8 Track tape  ( capitol 8X3T-359) in the original box.  ( I have the cassettes, there have been other cassette sets sold, Beatles sets (both)are known to exist but other than a Billboard mag ad, there's never been any physical evidence of a BBs 8 Track set)  

Now if someone here/anywhere has  one of the Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb" pencils, I'd love to be able to hold one....
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:15:52 AM by bgas » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

Bgas, is your entire collection indexed? How much storage space does it occupy?  And what's the Holy Grail for you in terms of still-outstanding in the collection?

Not all indexed, every time I think about it, I look around and say "Forget It!  too much time"   
As for space, not all that much, it's mostly all in one 14 X 16 feet room, part of my mancave; I don't have most of it "displayed" tho. some on shelves, some in files, posters are mostly rolled in a storage box 

Ahh the grail!  Thats a tough one; I'd of course KILL to actually find that (postulated)full poster with the Smile cover as a portion, but of the items that I keep on my search list I'd venture one of two, neither of which do I think I'll ever see: 

A bag of BBs Party Potato Chips  ( as I've stated before: if these were actually made, why has nobody ever seen ANY? ) 

The BBs Deluxe 3 Pack set on 8 Track tape  ( capitol 8X3T-359) in the original box.  ( I have the cassettes, there have been other cassette sets sold, Beatles sets (both)are known to exist but other than a Billboard mag ad, there's never been any physical evidence of a BBs 8 Track set) 

Now if someone here/anywhere has  one of the Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb" pencils, I'd love to be able to hold one....

Blimey… a Glen Campbell pencil? I guessed the chips would be high on that list but never even heard of the pencil. Anything you wouldn't collect? Would a pair of "Going Public" oven gloves have any attraction*?

* made them up as a figurative example.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

Bgas, is your entire collection indexed? How much storage space does it occupy?  And what's the Holy Grail for you in terms of still-outstanding in the collection?

Not all indexed, every time I think about it, I look around and say "Forget It!  too much time"    

Ahh the grail!  Thats a tough one; I'd of course KILL to actually find that (postulated)full poster with the Smile cover as a portion, but of the items that I keep on my search list I'd venture one of two, neither of which do I think I'll ever see:  

A bag of BBs Party Potato Chips  ( as I've stated before: if these were actually made, why has nobody ever seen ANY? )  

The BBs Deluxe 3 Pack set on 8 Track tape  ( capitol 8X3T-359) in the original box.  ( I have the cassettes, there have been other cassette sets sold, Beatles sets (both)are known to exist but other than a Billboard mag ad, there's never been any physical evidence of a BBs 8 Track set)  

Now if someone here/anywhere has  one of the Glen Campbell "Guess I'm Dumb" pencils, I'd love to be able to hold one....

Blimey… a Glen Campbell pencil? I guessed the chips would be high on that list but never even heard of the pencil. Anything you wouldn't collect? Would a pair of "Going Public" oven gloves have any attraction*?

* made them up as a figurative example.

Well ya know, I really stopped collecting their CDs some years back, and I don't collect backstage passes, and while I bought a bunch of packs and several boxes of the Panini cards I'm not actually searching all of them;   I once had my sights set on getting every magazine, but it's along with the non-USA 45s/EPs/LPs it's just something that I forced myself to "get over" as there are just TOO many....    
  Going Public Oven Gloves, tho, That could be cool! Maybe they come with residue from Bruce's kitchen?    I'm certain if they were out there Jim Burke in Australia would just HAVE to have them!!  ( I think he may have the best collection of their shirts/hats/ whatever there is along those lines)  
 which is to say, SURE , there are lots of items I don't have my sights on !!   Gotta love those CD Trader guys tho....  
  I know I posted a pic (I found somewhere) of the  I like to believe it's legitimate and somewhere there really are a few examples in some DJs collections....  

All of which means I'll probably be collecting in this lifetime AND the next !!  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:14:48 AM by bgas » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »

Many thanks Bgas! One more question if that's okay - is there any one (non-bootleg) track you're still seeking - any format, whether test pressing, DJ-only sampler, record company reps' promo, in-house comp etc etc etc.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »

The collection has begun!  I got it for a steal (IMO) at $1.81 and it plays very well.

Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:25 AM »

I also want to start reading some books about them.  There are so many of them and I obviously won't read them all.  So if you had to pick three, what would you choose?
COMMENT:  It is fans such as yourself for whom I built the study-videos now on my website, and others pending. It may take some time, like reading a book, but watch and listen to the songs outlined. You will gain insight and understanding about how some songs are created and put together -- all the while being entertained. I would encourage you to conform your listening position to your speakers as illustrated in the video. This will give you the best spatial perspective --- and it's all fun!

Beach Boy Study-Videos >>> http://swdstudyvideos.com

Welcome to Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper

I don't know how I managed to miss this! Shocked Watching the videos right now. Absolutely fantastic!!! Will also have to pick up the book sooner rather than later... and I'm really looking forward to the upcoming videos re: the "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" albums (two of my top five favorite BB albums)! Wow... just wow. Thank you, Mr. Desper. Smiley
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »

Surfin' USA
Pet Sounds
Love You
L.A. Light Album
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »

Barest essentials:

Surfer Girl
All Summer Long
Concert !
Today !
Summer Days...
Pet Sounds
The Smile Sessions
(2CD version)
Wild Honey
Friends
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Holland
Love You
TWGMTR
50 Big Ones
(to fill in the gaping holes !)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:30:52 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx