gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:58:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Must haves for a newer Beach Boys fan  (Read 10254 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »

I have been an active BB fan since about 2011 (before that was just a general liking of 60s music).  Since that time I've built a small collection of stuff.

50 Big Ones
TWGMTR
Concert CD
TLOS
Plus a song here or there from other albums.

At this point I feel I have all of the mainstream stuff that a casual fan might have, so where do I go from here?  For my birthday I plan to ask for MiC, and TSS for Christmas (I assume the box set is worth getting over the 2 CDs?).  At some point I'll also get Gershwin and Disney.  Other than that, is there anything I'm missing?

I also want to start reading some books about them.  There are so many of them and I obviously won't read them all.  So if you had to pick three, what would you choose?

Finally, what videos should I watch aside from Endless Harmony?  Any concert videos worth watching?
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »

I hear tell a certain "Pet....something or other" is pretty good..... Tongue
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »

Yeah, so have I.  Razz  I was leaving out the albums (aside from Brian's stuff) because I already have most of the music I want and MiC and TSS will cover pretty much the rest of it.  In other words I don't want to pay for what I already have.  Not right now anyway. 
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »

Although a lot of my childhood was spent listening to the BB, I have only been a fan since about 2007. That means I was too late to see Carl and Dennis perform but I've now seen the different combinations of the band five times. Seeing them live is an absolute must! I feel the Mike and Bruce combo is the most fun.

I've kinda looked for what I want to know (books and videos) and taken recommendations from here and that's served me well so far. Some videos are more interesting than others but it depends what you want to get out of them.

Album-wise, for me, you can't go wrong with the following - 20/20, sunflower, surfs up, friends but that's just my personal taste. Oh and you must listen to Time To Get Alone at least once - an absolute gem of a song!

If you want to immerse yourself completely into the world of The BB I would pick up whatever you can but it will change the way you listen to them forever!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

Oh man, you got way to go.

I'll just say this, make your next step everything from all summer long up to love you

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:22 PM »

Any ideas as to how much I should expect to spend on an original album in good condition?  Obviously Pet Sounds will be more expensive than the others, but is there a general price range?  Or is it just one of those things where if I wait long enough, a good deal will pop up.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

Any ideas as to how much I should expect to spend on an original album in good condition?  Obviously Pet Sounds will be more expensive than the others, but is there a general price range?  Or is it just one of those things where if I wait long enough, a good deal will pop up.

Well, so far, everything I've purchased (if you're talking about original vinyls) has been under $30 (well, other than that sealed, $200 Pet Sounds).
Usually, if you look for them, they're there. Quite a bit of the albums were made back in the day and they aren't usually in too high demand - other than Pet Sounds. If you want to get an idea of what something in general costs, check out discogs.com. They have info on numerous different pressings and there's a market place to check out prices. Here's what it looks like for an original copy of Friends: this link.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »

Well, so far, everything I've purchased (if you're talking about original vinyls) has been under $30 (well, other than that sealed, $200 Pet Sounds).
Usually, if you look for them, they're there. Quite a bit of the albums were made back in the day and they aren't usually in too high demand - other than Pet Sounds. If you want to get an idea of what something in general costs, check out discogs.com. They have info on numerous different pressings and there's a market place to check out prices. Here's what it looks like for an original copy of Friends: this link.

Thanks, that will be very helpful!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »

The two-for-one full album CD's can be picked up for very cheap off of Amazon.  Some for less than $5 (used, in good condition). It's a good way to get a complete collection of all the albums from the '60s through the '80s.  The vinyls can be obtained later, and some of the albums you might not even want on vinyl.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:01:58 PM by KittyKat » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »

You've GOT to go buy Love You.  "The Beach Boys Love You", it's awesome. 

I would say "Friends" is one of the most easily accessible albums for a new fan, it's different enough from their other stuff that it'll expand your knowledge of the band, but not so hard to appreciate that you won't get the genius of it. 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »

You need to hear Pet Sounds in full, as Brian intended and not sliced & diced on compilations. Seriously.

Also, Spotify is your friend.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:59:31 AM »

Either Pet Sounds, Sunflower or Holland
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »

The two-for-one full album CD's can be picked up for very cheap off of Amazon.  Some for less than $5 (used, in good condition). It's a good way to get a complete collection of all the albums from the '60s through the '80s.  The vinyls can be obtained later, and some of the albums you might not even want on vinyl.

+1, not to mention you get some pretty spiffy liner notes and commentary (especially KTSA/BB85, of course) in these collections.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:08:18 AM »

I'd go for the classic albums before I'd get Made In California (or any BW solo albums except maybe "...presents SMiLE"). MiC has a lot of cool rarities and previously unreleased tracks, and the hits you already have on 50 big ones, but it doesn't do very well at representing the albums. You'll want to get them eventually anyway.

A few especially recommended ones:
Wild Honey
Friends
Pet Sounds
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile
Today!
Sunflower
Surfer Girl

Please delete my account
Nicko1234
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »

I have been an active BB fan since about 2011 (before that was just a general liking of 60s music).  Since that time I've built a small collection of stuff.

50 Big Ones
TWGMTR
Concert CD
TLOS

At this point I feel I have all of the mainstream stuff that a casual fan might have, so where do I go from here?  For my birthday I plan to ask for MiC, and TSS for Christmas (I assume the box set is worth getting over the 2 CDs?).  At some point I'll also get Gershwin and Disney.  Other than that, is there anything I'm missing?

I also want to start reading some books about them.  There are so many of them and I obviously won't read them all.  So if you had to pick three, what would you choose?

Finally, what videos should I watch aside from Endless Harmony?  Any concert videos worth watching?

MiC is obviously a fine collection but you could probably get pretty much all of the band`s studio albums (which would obviously be a lot more music) for the same price so it depends which way you want to go. Even if you do get MiC then there are still several studio albums that really need to be listened to in their entirety so I would suggest gradually working your way through them rather than buying the box set in all honesty...
Nicko1234
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »

In terms of books, Catch a Wave by PA Carlin is probably one of the best to date.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »

You need to hear Pet Sounds in full, as Brian intended and not sliced & diced on compilations. Seriously.

Agreed.  In fact I only ever listen to Pet Sounds as an album, and usually on vinyl.

Also, Spotify is your friend.  Grin

Agreed again.  Aside from the vinyl I've culled mostly from second-hand stores, I own no Beach Boys material.  But I've got a Spotify playlist with every album, which I've conveniently downloaded to my iPhone.  I have every released track at my disposal at any time.  It's quite glorious.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »

Listen to Pet Sounds.

Then slowly dig into the less commercially successful albums like Friends, Smiley Smile, Surf's Up, Sunflower.

Listen to those exclusively for a while.

Then get into their earlier stuff circa "Today!"

Then stumble upon Love You and become obsessed with it, which will make you want to find the weirdest stuff Brian Wilson ever made. You will then want to scour the internet and small record shops hoping to find b-sides, rarities, demos.

Realize that it can be difficult to find some of the gems that Brian created and buy Made In California.

That's essentially what I did and I think it's a good "next step"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:37 AM »

I have been an active BB fan since about 2011 (before that was just a general liking of 60s music).  Since that time I've built a small collection of stuff.

50 Big Ones
TWGMTR
Concert CD
TLOS

At this point I feel I have all of the mainstream stuff that a casual fan might have, so where do I go from here?  For my birthday I plan to ask for MiC, and TSS for Christmas (I assume the box set is worth getting over the 2 CDs?).  At some point I'll also get Gershwin and Disney.  Other than that, is there anything I'm missing?

I also want to start reading some books about them.  There are so many of them and I obviously won't read them all.  So if you had to pick three, what would you choose?

Finally, what videos should I watch aside from Endless Harmony?  Any concert videos worth watching?
After all those suggestions... have you listened to Pet Sounds yet? What did you think of it?

(Come to think of it, it's rather unusual to join a BBs board before having listened to Pet Sounds -  I guess. Different strokes for different folks.  Wink )
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:34 AM »

Any concert videos worth watching?

TAMI show, Lost Concert and Knebworth are my favorites.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »

Yeah, so have I.  Razz  I was leaving out the albums (aside from Brian's stuff) because I already have most of the music I want and MiC and TSS will cover pretty much the rest of it.  In other words I don't want to pay for what I already have.  Not right now anyway. 

The Fuzzy pet zounds CD also has a DVD inside. I would say thats a must have.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »

I'll 2nd that!  ; )

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 07:20:28 AM »

the TAMI show especially, probably one of the best live footage caught on tape of the guys  Rock!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:42 AM »

I'd go for the classic albums before I'd get Made In California (or any BW solo albums except maybe "...presents SMiLE"). MiC has a lot of cool rarities and previously unreleased tracks, and the hits you already have on 50 big ones, but it doesn't do very well at representing the albums. You'll want to get them eventually anyway.

A few especially recommended ones:
Wild Honey
Friends
Pet Sounds
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile
Today!
Sunflower
Surfer Girl

I second all of this. I had so much fun buying the albums one by one (or two by two, really) and listening to them, discovering which songs I'd want to hear again and again.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »

COMMENT:  It is fans such as yourself for whom I built the study-videos now on my website, and others pending. It may take some time, like reading a book, but watch and listen to the songs outlined. You will gain insight and understanding about how some songs are created and put together -- all the while being entertained. I would encourage you to conform your listening position to your speakers as illustrated in the video. This will give you the best spatial perspective --- and it's all fun!

Beach Boy Study-Videos >>> http://swdstudyvideos.com

Welcome to Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx