gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:49:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warning: may change your view of Stamos !  (Read 8593 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:33:38 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gerald-christian/the-quadriplegic-rock-sta_b_5604263.html

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:23 AM »

Very touching indeed -

thank you for posting, Andrew.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:54:29 AM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:11:40 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »

Thank you for posting the article. I enjoyed it very much.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »

Thank you Andrew for posting that. 

One for you!  Beer
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »

Yes, thanks for posting.
I've also seen over the years Bruce assist up to the stage "challenged" individuals during the encore.

Also reminds me that back a few decades when recovering from an operation, I constantly had the Beach Boys on my cassette player in the hospital and which helped keep the spirits up (the doctors and nurses liked it as well!!).
Jason
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 06:42:01 AM »

Awesome story, but...why would this change one's view of Stamos? Stamos isn't a bad person last time I checked.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:20 AM »

Awesome story, but...why would this change one's view of Stamos? Stamos isn't a bad person last time I checked.

I don't get it either. The discussion has usually been whether he needs to be on stage so prominently, and how, if at all, he has impacted the band over the years.

I guess a takeaway could be that we shouldn't so quickly jump on someone, even if criticizing them without making personal attacks, because they could be capable of doing good things for people.

But this is already evident to anyone who cares to have any sort of moral compass. I'm sure some public figures that AGD had said critical, unflattering things about over the years have also done kind, selfless things for people.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:02:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »

I agree with HeyJude. I don't think anybody thinks John Stamos is a horrible person. I'm sure he's a super nice guy. We just don't want him onstage with our favorite band. Even if it is only the Mike 'n Bruce version of the band.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »

I agree with HeyJude. I don't think anybody thinks John Stamos is a horrible person. I'm sure he's a super nice guy. We just don't want him onstage with our favorite band. Even if it is only the Mike 'n Bruce version of the band.
If he wasn't onstage with our favorite band, then he could not have done what he did for Mr. Christian, now could he? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »

If he wasn't onstage with our favorite band, then he could not have done what he did for Mr. Christian, now could he? Wink

Since Stamos is buddies with Mike, I'm sure he could set something like that up without having to be on stage, or at least on stage for so long, so often, and so prominently.

In any event, the original post seems to imply those who aren't fans of Stamos were attacking him personally. Not the case from what I've seen. All of the guys in around this band that AGD and all of us have criticized or at some point taken issue with have done kind, charitable, fan-friendly things over the years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:50:50 AM »

Since Stamos is buddies with Mike, I'm sure he could set something like that up without having to be on stage, or at least on stage for so long, so often, and so prominently.

In any event, the original post seems to imply those who aren't fans of Stamos were attacking him personally. Not the case from what I've seen. All of the guys in around this band that AGD and all of us have criticized or at some point taken issue with have done kind, charitable, fan-friendly things over the years.

Maybe not attacking, but he does get his share of detractors just for being there. I've seen him with them a few times over the past 25 years or so, and with mostly playing percussion, I can't remember him ever playing badly as he would not be wanted up on stage doing that. So, it must be that people just don't like him, which I squarely read here as not liking him personally. Not for the things he does or does not do, just in a general way.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »

This line made me laugh:

I got to experience what it's like to perform before a "full house" of cheering fans.

LOL
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »

This line made me laugh:

I got to experience what it's like to perform before a "full house" of cheering fans.

LOL

I think Mike Love was responsible for that quote.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »

Not saying he's not a nice guy, just not a good drummer. Can he play drums better than me? Yes. Can he play drums well enough to be in a band that charges $100+ a ticket? No.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »

Maybe not attacking, but he does get his share of detractors just for being there. I've seen him with them a few times over the past 25 years or so, and with mostly playing percussion, I can't remember him ever playing badly as he would not be wanted up on stage doing that. So, it must be that people just don't like him, which I squarely read here as not liking him personally. Not for the things he does or does not do, just in a general way.

Saying one feels they don't feel Stamos shouldn't be on stage, or on stage as often or as prominently, is not an ad hominem or personal attack. That opinion doesn't come from disliking him, but rather from not feeling he needs to be on stage. Just because you don't mind him being on stage, that doesn't then mean anyone that doesn't prefer him on stage don't personally like him.

If I like a movie and someone else doesn't, I don't assume they don't like the actors in it on a personal level.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »

Not saying he's not a nice guy, just not a good drummer. Can he play drums better than me? Yes. Can he play drums well enough to be in a band that charges $100+ a ticket? No.
The shows that I have seen, he only played drums on Be True To Your School. One out 32 songs even if played badly is not gonna make me ask for my money back. Kind of being nit-picky and looking, searching, longing for a reason to complain.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »

It's all about perception. If he had been on a serious show where he played a murderer or a tough guy, people wouldn't be so hard on him. Instead, he's screwed because he was on Full House, which was a cutie-pie show with bad actors and worse story lines (although now that I have kids, I can tell you that it's nice to have a show like that, where I don't have to worry about what's going to be on the show). I'm not a huge fan of anything that he's done acting wise, and I think there's an interview somewhere where he showed up drunk and acted like an ass, but he has done his part to bring the BB's to the masses. And he seems to genuinely love 'em.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »

nice!  Grin

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »

Ironically, from TMZ today:

If you're a fan of The Beach Boys song "Never Learn Not to Love," don't plan on ever hearing it live ... because John Stamos says the band never performs it ... because Charles Manson wrote it.

BACKSTORY:  Dennis Wilson befriended Manson before he became famous for all the wrong reasons. Manson had written this song, which Wilson re-worked into "Never Learn Not to Love," which made it onto their early 1969 album "20/20."

Manson became manic after the release, bugging The Beach Boys to work with him again but he was so weird their producer Terry Melcher shunned him.  Manson became enraged and the story goes ... the real target the night of the Tate murders was Melcher.

Melcher -- the son of Doris Day -- had rented the Tate house with then girlfriend Candice Bergen but moved weeks before the murders.  

Monday night in New York, our photog asked Stamos -- who regularly plays with the band -- about the Manson track. It's clear from Stamos' answer ... it's a wild part of the band's history.

See more: http://www.tmz.com/page/2/#ixzz38EZzXJXT
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:24:16 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

He deals well with a difficult question.
Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »

While attacks on John Stamos may not all necessarily be personal, I don`t think there`s any doubt that a dislike for him does temper many people`s opinions.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »

yeah, nah..... doesn't change my opinion on Stamos......

I've always thought he was good for The Beach Boys..... and vice versa......

their occasional additions to full house over the years has done more good than bad....

but I am a full house fan......... particularly love the episode of John wanting to record 'forever'..... and they do

the an acoustic take on it.......

John's Ok with me.

RickB

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

This does not at all change my view of John Stamos being involved with "The Beach Boys'" live stage shows.

Of course it's only people like the ones on this board that give a damn about their musical legacy beyond what you'd find on a greatest hits album and the cheapening of said legacy. Ask 10 people what album their favorite Beach Boys song "Wouldn't It Be Nice" came from and 9 of them couldn't tell you. "The "50 First Dates" soundtrack?"

So in that case, it's nice that somebody whose life has been so degraded through a tragedy has opportunities such as the ones presented to this guy are able to feel such happiness even tho all the stick-in-the-muds here are all "lol fuk jon stamoose." He's done more to bring happiness to people in 1 night that most of us do in a whole week!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it....

No mas, por favor.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »

This is not unlike when a professional athlete gives selflessly of themselves and enriches the life of a sick child or a disabled adult or whatnot. And it's a giving thing, a good thing.

This of course means nothing when the discussion turns to does he belong in the lineup? Why does he swing at curve balls down and in the dirt? He drives me crazy! Why don't they trade his ass?

You see, he did a good thing. Then he did a bad thing...in the 8th inning. Kinda like Stamos during Be True to Your School. I can do without his schtick, although it's nice that he helps the less fortunate. It's the fair and proper thing to do. 

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx