gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 1966 Smile  (Read 8411 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

But without drugs, Smile never happens. It's a convenient scapegoat. Rather than implicate people, blame drugs. Simple and easy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »

Sure. Tell Brian and Marilyn that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

Drugs are like a balancing act, there is a point where the scale tips from a positive experience to a negative one. There is a big difference between recreational use and abuse. Whether it is smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or ingesting drugs, there is always a tipping point where it becomes a detriment to your health and well being.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »

I need a beer!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »

Drugs are like a balancing act, there is a point where the scale tips from a positive experience to a negative one. There is a big difference between recreational use and abuse. Whether it is smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or ingesting drugs, there is always a tipping point where it becomes a detriment to your health and well being.

Right arm, man.  As Brian once said, he experimented himself right out of action.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »

But without drugs, Smile never happens.

I don't know whether that is true or not, but it is a fact that with drugs, SMiLE didn't happen. Smiley Smile did.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:51 AM »

Except for Surf's Up and Wonderful, the music tends to be characterised by two-chord movements, sometimes three like in Heroes and Villains. Each song has these movements with distinctive verses, choruses, bridges and tag endings joined together by hard edits, not via fading. The instrumentation and vocals tend to use chromatic scales within these two or three chord movements to build complexity out of simple musical patterns, hence why the music sounds ornate yet easy to follow. Let's face facts, SMiLE is a work of genius, requiring modern-day digital editing to pull together in 2010/11 what was recorded in 1966/67.

Personally, I still, after more than 20 years of listening to every aspect of this record, cannot get my head around the way it was recorded. Next time you have a listen, think for a moment, you are listening to instruments and vocals mixed live, without separation, which required hours of rehearsal to balance the sound.

And some people say Brian Wilson had drug or mental issues during this period? Yet he produced Good Vibrations, Cabinessence, Heroes and Villains, Vegetables, Wind Chimes and Wonderful, not to mention the first movement of Surf's Up, it was beyond incredible!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »

And some people say Brian Wilson had drug or mental issues during this period?

But he had. Those issues just didn't keep him from doing his thing. Not yet.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 06:20:53 AM »

And some people say Brian Wilson had drug or mental issues during this period?

But he had. Those issues just didn't keep him from doing his thing. Not yet.

I'm just over ignorant conclusions of what happened during this period. No doubt, Brian had these issues, but they didn't get in the way of the music, agreed...that was my real point.

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »

It's unique for sure. I would say Americana themes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »

Except for Surf's Up and Wonderful, the music tends to be characterised by two-chord movements, sometimes three like in Heroes and Villains.

Don't forget the verses to Cabin Essence - great chord structure. Personally, there's too many two-chord stuff to rate SMiLE over Pet Sounds for me.

And some people say Brian Wilson had drug or mental issues during this period? Yet he produced Good Vibrations, Cabinessence, Heroes and Villains, Vegetables, Wind Chimes and Wonderful, not to mention the first movement of Surf's Up, it was beyond incredible!

Yes, but these issues kept him from finishing all that stuff. I mean, after that first version of Wonderful, why rerecord it 4 times? And it wasn't due to technology, as the only completed GV proves.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

I'll just say that I disagree with drug counterarguments. I'd get into more detail, but I know you get pilloried around here if you debate the consensus for too long.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 08:42:54 AM »

Around this period I always pictured Brian on a drug high buzzing around the studio with a million different ideas coming out of his head at once but then hitting a comedown before he'd nail the perfect version. But very little got 100% finished because by the time he was back in the studio again he was on another drug buzz with another million different new ideas to try out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »

I need a beer!

Wrong thread: Wink 2

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17691.msg464491.html#msg464491
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17691.msg464554.html#msg464554

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »

Don't forget the verses to Cabin Essence - great chord structure. Personally, there's too many two-chord stuff to rate SMiLE over Pet Sounds for me.

Of course, yes,  these verses also use the famous Gm7/D - Dm7/G opening chords in Surf's Up!

Yes, but these issues kept him from finishing all that stuff. I mean, after that first version of Wonderful, why rerecord it 4 times? And it wasn't due to technology, as the only completed GV proves.

After reading Keith Badman's chronology on this era, I stood amazed at how many sessions were done for these songs. I concur, Wonderful didn't need 4 version attempts. That obsession with perfection proved too much for Brian!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »

Of course, yes,  these verses also use the famous Gm7/D - Dm7/G opening chords in Surf's Up!

After reading Keith Badman's chronology on this era, I stood amazed at how many sessions were done for these songs. I concur, Wonderful didn't need 4 version attempts. That obsession with perfection proved too much for Brian!

I need to correct myself: I stated Wonderful was rerecorded 4 times - actually after that perfect first version it was rerecorded inferiorly only 3 times, which makes 4 versions in total in various states of completion. Thank you for your patience. Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »

I need to correct myself: I stated Wonderful was rerecorded 4 times - actually after that perfect first version it was rerecorded inferiorly only 3 times, which makes 4 versions in total in various states of completion. Thank you for your patience. Smiley

Is he working toward perfection or just thinking of a sound he likes better than the previous version? Or are some of them inserts for an existing version?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 02:32:34 AM »

I would say that if you're somebody who already had some psychological issues, and you're smoking hash and popping uppers, that's probably going to do something to your brain. I'd say that it played a role in the album never coming out; his inability to find perfection in any of the music he was making. The drugs of course influenced his opinions.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 05:02:05 AM »

Is he working toward perfection or just thinking of a sound he likes better than the previous version? Or are some of them inserts for an existing version?

Rather trying to get a new sound, I guess, but still the Rock me Henry version, the April version and the Smiley version all seem so unnecessary to me after that perfect first one. I think it is plausible that all this was because the drugs clouded his mind. Or for the drug defenders, the drugs gave Brian more creativity than he was able to handle...

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx