gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:50:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Biographies - Recommendations  (Read 5115 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »

Looking for some holiday reading material..

Anyone recommend some decent music biogs?

Stuff I have read recently (last few years)

Alex Chilton
Shaun Ryder
Nilsson
Motley Crue
Smokey Robinson
Dusty Springfield - Dancing with Demons
Luke Haines

all good except the Smokey one which was poor enough

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:05:50 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »

Dear Boy by Tony Fletcher about Keith Moon is the first that comes to mind. Very well-written, tons of anecdotes, captures both the wild surface of Moon as well as the underlying sadness of the whole story. Hilarious at some times, heartbreaking at others. Ever since I've read it I feel like I know Moon much better, as if I've actually met him.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »

Just a few that come to mind:

Last train to Memphis - Peter Guralnick
I lived to tell it all - George Jones
Hound dog - Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller

Later this year Jerry Lee Lewis' new autobiography will be released.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

The Lives of John Lennon is the best book on the man in question
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:42:50 AM »

almost anything by Greil Marcus, especially The Invisible Republic on The Basement Tapes and Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music.

Barney Hoskyns is another good writer. A great book on the Laurel Canyon scene from 1966-73 called Hotel California.

Levon Helm's autobiog is great.

Robin DG Kelley's Thelonious Monk biog is huge, but worth it. Very atmospheric on the birth of bop in the 1940s around Minton's.

Richard Cook's book on Miles Davis, It's About that Time, is a great book i return to over and over again, but concentrates almost exclusively on the music rather than any salacious personal details.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:58 AM »

Dear Boy by Tony Fletcher about Keith Moon is the first that comes to mind. Very well-written, tons of anecdotes, captures both the wild surface of Moon as well as the underlying sadness of the whole story. Hilarious at some times, heartbreaking at others. Ever since I've read it I feel like I know Moon much better, as if I've actually met him.

On the Who theme, I really enjoyed and recommend Who I Am, Pete T's auto-biog; very immediate and accessible and a bit like you're looking over his shoulder/in the room at times.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:36:16 AM »

On the Who theme, I really enjoyed and recommend Who I Am, Pete T's auto-biog; very immediate and accessible and a bit like you're looking over his shoulder/in the room at times.

I was actually pretty disappointed with that one - too few unknown facts, too much random jumping from one subject to another. From what I've read, the book was originally twice as long, but had to be cut down. But at least I learned a thing or two about boats.  Grin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:59:39 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna make a choice soon

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »

I'll second loaf's suggestion on The Invisible Republic (very detailed), and Barney Hoskyns' books on American music (haven't read all his stuff on UK artists, other than the many MOJO articles).  The one on The Band, and the two loaf mentions, I have read - they are all excellent.  I noticed you bought one of Bobbie Gentry's albums.  Barney wrote a fantastic article on her for MOJO, unfortunately nobody can get her to speak to them.  I'd have to check for the issue number and get back to you.
Dave Zimmer is a honest writer and insider (former editor for BAM magazine - Bay Area Music).  He wrote a very good CSN book in 1984 (now in it's 3rd update, 2008).  He knew the players in real life, and that always helps.  He does not focus on the "dirt" side of their life much - sticking to the music.  He also put out a CSN&Y Reader that collected articles on the band.
John Einarson is a great writer too.  Great book on Gene Clark, and wrote a book about Buffalo Springfield with Richie Furay (For What it's Worth) in 1997, with an updated version in 2004.  Richie was very involved in the writing.
I'm currently reading Graham Nash's Wild Tales book, and studying Ian and Jon's Beach Boys In Concert and The Beatles at the BBC.
Up next for me will be that Nilsson book and the new Lewisohn Beatles release (all of Mark Lewisohn's books are worth owing, and are great study tools - in my opinion).
EDIT:  I did a search of my Mojo collection with little luck.  The Gentry feature I did find was in issue 110/January 2003.  That was four pages and nice (by Holly George - Warren), not the Hoskyns' one.  Perhaps it was in another issue, or some other magazine.  If I come across it I will post another edit or PM you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:48:06 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:21 AM »

I was actually pretty disappointed with that one - too few unknown facts, too much random jumping from one subject to another. From what I've read, the book was originally twice as long, but had to be cut down. But at least I learned a thing or two about boats.  Grin

I really enjoyed the first half or so -- if that tenor were sustained it would be among the best of its kind.  However, it does lapse into chronicles of business meetings and, yes, boat upkeep.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »

I'll second loaf's suggestion on The Invisible Republic (very detailed), and Barney Hoskins' books on American music (haven't read all his stuff on UK artists, other than the many MOJO articles).  The one on The Band, and the two loaf mentions, I have read - they are all excellent.  I noticed you bought one of Bobbie Gentry's albums.  Barney wrote a fantastic article on her for MOJO, unfortunately nobody can get her to speak to them.  I'd have to check for the issue number and get back to you.
Dave Zimmer is a honest writer and insider (former editor for BAM magazine - Bay Area Music).  He wrote a very good CSN book in 1984 (now in it's 3rd update, 2008).  He knew the players in real life, and that always helps.  He does not focus on the "dirt" side of their life much - sticking to the music.  He also put out a CSN&Y Reader that collected articles on the band.
John Einarson is a great writer too.  Great book on Gene Clark, and wrote a book about Buffalo Springfield with Richie Furay (For What it's Worth) in 1997, with an updated version in 2004.  Richie was very involved in the writing.
I'm currently reading Graham Nash's Wild Tales book, and studying Ian and Jon's Beach Boys In Concert and The Beatles at the BBC.
Up next for me will be that Nilsson book and the new Lewisohn Beatles release (all of Mark Lewisohn's books are worth owing, and are great study tools - in my opinion).
EDIT:  I did a search of my Mojo collection with little luck.  The Gentry feature I did find was in issue 110/January 2003.  That was four pages and nice (by Holly George - Warren), not the Hoskins' one.  Perhaps it was in another issue, or some other magazine.  If I come across it I will post another edit or PM you.

Thanks Will. Plenty to consider there.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »

Right now I'm reading the Neil Young bio " Shakey ". Pretty interesting.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 02:04:14 AM »

Anything by Peter Guralnick.

ETC. ETC. ...
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:26:53 AM »

I don't usually enjoy rock biographies especially the more depraved and debauched ones. I find them depressing. I did however enjoy:

There's Something About Jonathan [Richman] -Tim Mitchell
Truth and Beauty- The Story of Pulp- Mark Sturdy
Chuck Berry's autobiography
Pet shop boys, literally - Chris Heath
What's Welsh for Zen- John Cale & Victor Bockris
Serge Gainsbourg- a Fistful of Gitanes- Sylvie Simmons
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:55:45 AM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »

Right now I'm reading the Neil Young bio " Shakey ". Pretty interesting.

Interesting good read.  I am a big fan of the author Jimmy McDonough who has written some wonderful articles on one of my favorite artists, the late crazy inspired country artist Gary Stewart.  Unfortunately there is not much demand for a book on him I suppose.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »

I seem to be in a minority, but i much preferred Johnny Rogan's Neil Young bio Zero to Sixty than Shakey. In terms of biography anyway.

And Johnny Rogan's mammoth book on the Byrds, Timeless Flight, is great too.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

One of my favourite books:

StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »

I second the Peter Guralnick recommendation. To Be Loved the Berry Gordy book is very good too IIRC about the early history of Motown etc. J Randy Taraborelli's Michael Jackson bio is worth checking out too, its been re-released quite a few times now and I think the content has altered, the earlier pressing has more J5/Jacksons stuff in IIRC.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »

I seem to be in a minority, but i much preferred Johnny Rogan's Neil Young bio Zero to Sixty than Shakey. In terms of biography anyway.

And Johnny Rogan's mammoth book on the Byrds, Timeless Flight, is great too.

I read Timeless flight. Excellent read! Shakey is very good  but I will grab Rogan's book too. Just got Neil's autobio. Funny, in Shakey he says he'll never write a book. Like everything in life and music, never say never until death intervenes!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:50 AM »

I've just finished reading 'The Celestial Café' by Belle & Sebastian frontman Stuart Murdoch. It's a book edition of a lenghthy series of blog posts he posted on the Belle & Sebastian website from 2004 to 2006. It's the most atypical rock star book I've read, yet highly entertaining. It doesn't really have that much to do with his (awesome) band and their music but rather you follow him spending his days in Glasgow, musing on everyday life in a very charming and often hilarious manner. Here's an excerpt from the back of the book that perfectly encapsulates the general feel:

"Stuart Murdoch considers himself to be '26% a rock star.' He may be exaggerating. Few rock stars spend time compiling lists of their favourite mathematicians or buy extra-soft slippers so they don't disturb neighbours living in the flat below."  Smiley

So, all in all, a bit of a book equivalent of a Belle & Sebastian concert then. I saw the group live some months ago and Murdoch was quite funny and cool in his typical bookish, indie-nerd manner. At one point the band had a cup of tea between songs with the dry remark, 'you won't see Iron Maiden doing THIS!.  Grin

On another note; here are my five favourite music biographies in no particular order

Mick Brown - Tearing Down the Wall of Sound (on Phil Spector)
John Einarson - Mr. Tambourine Man - the Life and Legacy of the Byrds' Gene Clark
Simon Napier Bell - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
Tommy James - Me, the Mob and the Music - One Helluva Ride with Tommy James & the Shondells
David Ritz - Divided Soul - The Life of Marvin Gaye
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:47:33 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 04:52:08 AM »

David Ritz - Divided Soul - The Life of Marvin Gaye

Ritz also worked with Ray Charles on the latter's autobiography (and the already mentioned Leiber&Stoller autobiography). Really good. Should also go onto the list

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 07:30:09 AM »

I started reading this one last night.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »

Just finishing up Mark Lewisohn's biography on the early years of The Beatles, Tune In. Unbelievable, definitive account. The only thing negative about it is that I have to wait seven years before the next volume.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »

Just finishing up Mark Lewisohn's biography on the early years of The Beatles, Tune In. Unbelievable, definitive account. The only thing negative about it is that I have to wait seven years before the next volume.
Just googled it. HOLY CRAP. Almost 1000 pages of meticulously researched early Beatles history? Cheesy Thanks for the heads up!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »

I can't imagine that there will ever be a better book on the subject.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx