gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you have liked more from Blondie & Ricky?  (Read 6502 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:02 AM »

Blondie and Ricky were great backing musicians, but I could have done without their contributions to The Beach Boys as songwriters and lead singers. Their songs are boring and just like their voices they don't really "fit in".

Those songs almost sound like, let's say, The Beach Boys took a couple of songs from their opening act and tried to sell them as Beach Boys songs...

Oh, wait...  Roll Eyes
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »

As songwriters, not so much. But Blondie could sing. Sail on Sailor! Nuff said.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

To answer the question at the top of the page: Absolutely.

Regarding what Dennis would have done if Ricky had remained, people seem to forget how many other instruments Ricky played on stage with the Boys: Guitar, flute, pedal steel, etc.  There are several songs on In Concert that Ricky doesn't drum on.  As great as the band was as a live band with Blondie and Ricky (and they most certainly were!), imagine how much BETTER they would be with Dennis alternating drums with Ricky, rather than Kowalski (whom I have no problem with during that period).

As for 15 Big Ones, I'm in the camp that doesn't think it would have happened.  I agree that it had more to do with Brian returning but I also agree it wouldn't have been as "necessary" for Brian TO return had the other guys remained.  A possible scenario would have been a retro record (this was still the time of American Graffiti, etc.) with Brian's covers, paired with more contemporary stuff.  Even if we still would have gotten a 15 Big Ones VERY similar to what we did, odds are it would have been edgier than what they ultimately released, just due to B&R's presence in the band and slight "influence" on Carl.  Who knows?  Maybe Brian would have had Blondie sing the lead on an old doo wop cover.

Either way, I wish they'd stayed.  More importantly, I wish the band had chosen ANY other person or firm to replace Rieley when they did.  Cry

THIS! That's what I don't get about the Ricky/Blondie/Holland?Rieley bashers. It's like, Hey this was the last time your favourite band was truly great! And you don't like it! Come on, 15 Big Ones, MIU, KTSA, the cheerleaders, Baywatch, SIP, and so on. Any alternative would have been better than the route they chose to take! It's because of 1976 onwards that the BB's still aren't taken as seriously as they should be by so many music fans and critics...

Completely agreed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »

I would've preferred a Carl or Dennis or even Al lead vocal. I always thought "Sail On Sailor" should've done better on the charts. Maybe it was the lyrics, but I wonder if a familiar Beach Boy voice would've helped the song more. Just a thought. Do I get attacked now?
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »

To answer the question at the top of the page: Absolutely.

Regarding what Dennis would have done if Ricky had remained, people seem to forget how many other instruments Ricky played on stage with the Boys: Guitar, flute, pedal steel, etc.  There are several songs on In Concert that Ricky doesn't drum on.  As great as the band was as a live band with Blondie and Ricky (and they most certainly were!), imagine how much BETTER they would be with Dennis alternating drums with Ricky, rather than Kowalski (whom I have no problem with during that period).

As for 15 Big Ones, I'm in the camp that doesn't think it would have happened.  I agree that it had more to do with Brian returning but I also agree it wouldn't have been as "necessary" for Brian TO return had the other guys remained.  A possible scenario would have been a retro record (this was still the time of American Graffiti, etc.) with Brian's covers, paired with more contemporary stuff.  Even if we still would have gotten a 15 Big Ones VERY similar to what we did, odds are it would have been edgier than what they ultimately released, just due to B&R's presence in the band and slight "influence" on Carl.  Who knows?  Maybe Brian would have had Blondie sing the lead on an old doo wop cover.

Either way, I wish they'd stayed.  More importantly, I wish the band had chosen ANY other person or firm to replace Rieley when they did.  Cry

THIS! That's what I don't get about the Ricky/Blondie/Holland?Rieley bashers. It's like, Hey this was the last time your favourite band was truly great! And you don't like it! Come on, 15 Big Ones, MIU, KTSA, the cheerleaders, Baywatch, SIP, and so on. Any alternative would have been better than the route they chose to take! It's because of 1976 onwards that the BB's still aren't taken as seriously as they should be by so many music fans and critics...

I agree. Except for Love You, everything since Blondie and Ricky left was all downhill and over the hill.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:01:06 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »

As stated, as a live act in the Blondie/Rickey era the Beach Boys were unbuhleevable.  Best show i ever saw.  And these two guys brought a lot to that.

More than that though, recalling that time, it seemed the band was on a nice upsurge with Holland being (arguably) their strongest or at least most consistent and coherent album since Sunflower.  Certainly as a "band" (as opposed to "Brian") LP it is right up there.  And Leaving this Town is a real good track on it.  I think Holland sold fairly well and got a decent amount of FM airplay.  So the live shows were smokin', Pet Sounds was being acknowledged, albums getting better sales and notice, lots of good press then...nothing.  They had been releasing records regularly with an increasing profile then...nothing.  Blondie then Rickey leave the band, Endless Summer, touring jukebox (though mighty) and the next record is 15 (ugh) Big Ones and the Beach Boys all of a sudden come across as paunchy slightly creepy middle aged goofballs making music you mostly didn't want to hear again.  Not during the Blondie/Rickey era I tell you.

So even though I dig Love You and some of what followed,  I rue the missed opportunity to make more good music while they were still in the band.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »

hey, anything but Ricky & Blondie on Love You
Why not? Do not forget they sang on "Funky Pretty" & that's very similar to the new wave or whatever genre LY is. We heard Blondie on a BW tune, Sail on Sailor, now it would've been cool to have a full Ricky lead. Who cares if they fit the style or not? Just 1 "out there" record, then go on with your own direction (soul, blues rock).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »

I would've preferred a Carl or Dennis or even Al lead vocal. I always thought "Sail On Sailor" should've done better on the charts. Maybe it was the lyrics, but I wonder if a familiar Beach Boy voice would've helped the song more. Just a thought. Do I get attacked now?
Dennis
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:00:24 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 10:57:38 PM »

It's because of 1976 onwards that the BB's still aren't taken as seriously as they should be by so many music fans and critics...
Yeah... Let's raise a glass to being taken more seriously.    Violin

So... you think it's a good thing that the BB's don't get the respect they deserve amongst large numbers of music fans and critics? Fair enough.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 11:38:31 PM »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:31:37 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »

I would definitely have liked to have Blondie & Ricky around for a longer stretch.  I'm not a big fan of "Holland" overall, but "Leaving This Town" is an exception and IMHO the best song on that album that isn't "Sail On Sailor."  I liked Blondie's vocals a lot, and I really enjoyed the live video of him doing "Wild Honey" with the band back then.  Would have been interesting to see how things would have turned out with them around.  I would loved to have heard an album sort of in the vein of WH with them.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »

Dennis

he was originally gonna sing that song anyway right?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 07:37:30 AM »

He gave a vocal take and then left. I doubt they kept it.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »

Mos def.  They made that BB sound even better.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

I listen to The Beach Boys for the good vibes and the humor,and for raising a glass to kindness--and sometimes to get really high and listen to teh SMiLE. I didn't know they were to be taken seriously. Sorry. I won't intrude on the Ricky & Blondie fanclub any further.   I think you take your Beach Boy advocacy very seriously. I feel like I want to punch you redux.
And I don't think an alternate Ricky & Blondie history where they would have stayed in the band would have been good, either. It's OK is "edgier" than any of their sub-Band reject tracks. Am I exasperating too? I hope so. You're like some kind of pushy Ricky & Blondie salesman.

No, not exasperating at all, although somewhat peculiar in clearly wanting to be exasperating. And 'I didn't realise they [the Beach Boys] were to be taken seriously' is rather a stupid comment. So exactly how are we supposed to approach, say, Pet Sounds? Ironically, giggling into our sleeves?

Anyway believe it or not, some people have the capacity to enjoy both: the good vibes/humour and the Ricky & Blondie period.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:56:23 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:27:24 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »

So exactly how are we supposed to approach, say, Pet Sounds?

Get all psyched-up beforehand 'cause listening to Pet Sounds is a really serious thing to do.

Or approach with an open mind and ear . Whatever works.

Or just put it on and stop over-thinking everything perhaps?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:27:07 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »

Get all psyched-up beforehand 'cause listening to Pet Sounds is a really serious thing to do.

Yes.

Exactly!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »

Yes.

Exactly!

Well, man, you're the one talking about maturity in music, and how to approach listening to an album, and taking the music seriously...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:26:01 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 11:15:22 PM »

Yes.

Exactly!

Well, man, you're the one talking about maturity in music, and how to approach listening to an album, and taking the music seriously...

I'm offering my opinion on the music's merits and my feelings about the music and the production history of the music. Doesn't mean that's what's swimming around in my head whenever i sit and listen to it. In fact, if I recall I basically summed up Holland as: 'Big Sur, California, Trader, Funky Pretty, Only With You - these are just brilliant songs'. i.e. forget about the doughy baps and just enjoy the delicious tasty burger therein Smiley (or rather Don't let an upside down boat on the cover put you off an album's music! - although personally it's in my top 5 fave BB album covers...)

If we were going to have a discussion re The Shining, I'd probably talk about the brilliance of the tracking shots, the camera angles, the year-long shooting, etc. Doesn't mean that's what I then sit thinking about when i watch the film, I just Watch The Film. But when you're having a debate/discussion it's obviously got to be different, otherwise we'd all be saying nothing more than I Like This or I Don't Like This.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:29:57 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

Would you have liked more from Blondie & Ricky?

More of the same they did? No. I have no problem with people who praise them though. Cool Guy Only thing they did I like is "Hard Times". I think Ricky was much better in The Rutles.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx