gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:06:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can somebody help me identify this mix of "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?  (Read 4879 times)
topsyandpip56
Smiley Smile Newbie

Cool cool water keeps on coolin' me.

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:19:19 AM »

Hey everyone,

I've constantly heard this particular mix of Wouldn't It Be Nice being used throughout the years and have only recently found a relatively high quality version (extracted from an episode of King Of The Hill). I've searched the boots and all that and can't find it anywhere, and I was wondering if one of you lot knew which it was. It has Mike on the bridge and, in my opinion, a much better lead from Brian than the album mix.

Thanks, I've put it up on my Google Drive as an MP3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-v80KgPI64RdzluTTU0X3NqU00/edit?usp=sharing
topsyandpip56
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »

I've also found the same mix used on a YouTube upload of the track but in Duophonic Cack-Stereo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFQ4JQqK_0
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »

It's the version from Still Cruisin'.
topsyandpip56
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »

So it is! Even in crummy duophonic. Thank you very much. I wonder why a different mix was used for the movie that this version is supposedly sourced from? ("The Big Chill").
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »

Oh, I forgot that this mix originated on Made In The USA.

I haven't seen the Big Chill in forever and don't remember what version is heard on that (probably duophonic).  But the alternate version heard on Made In The USA/Still Cruisin' was used in place of the single version because the master for the album/single version had been damaged (possibly lost as well).  Here's a thread about it:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2452.0.html

I think because Made In The USA was one of the first BB CD's, it took a while for this mix to get replaced by the "real" version.  I remember it was also used on The Wonder Years and other TV shows/movies.
topsyandpip56
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »

That makes the most sense. I even recall hearing this mix on local radio in my area driving home one night and vowing to find it. I checked out the 'Made In The USA' version, and it appears in genuine Mono instead of low quality duophonic as on Still Cruisin'. Thanks again!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »

in my opinion, a much better lead from Brian than the album mix.

In my opinion too. In my own compilations I always use that mix instead of the original mix.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx