gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:41:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson - Extended Interview 1984  (Read 10754 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »

Carl's answers are great and are even more impressive when taking the terrible interviewer into consideration.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »

My favorite part of the interview is when someone offscreen coughs and Carl smiles and raises his eyebrows  LOL

Another thing I noted is he closes his eyes at times during questions and pauses, not unlike Brian. I suspect for Brian its medication but seeing Carl do similar I now wonder.

Hey man! I noticed that too!  I thought it was something I just noticed and thought of it 'thoughtless' to mention....

but I know exactly what you mean........ what is with that?..... 

tiredness?..... meds?..... a 'Wilson'ism'?

RickB
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »

My favorite part of the interview is when someone offscreen coughs and Carl smiles and raises his eyebrows  LOL

Another thing I noted is he closes his eyes at times during questions and pauses, not unlike Brian. I suspect for Brian its medication but seeing Carl do similar I now wonder.

Hey man! I noticed that too!  I thought it was something I just noticed and thought of it 'thoughtless' to mention....

RickB

As a musician, I've seen this many times over the years, and i do it myself. It's a method of focusing or "listening closer" by shutting off one of the senses (sight)

After a while, you get so used to doing it you don't realize your doing it in "regular" conversation. For years my parents would say "What's wrong with you? What are you doing?" they're used to it now though.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:54:36 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

what is with that?..... 

Definitely a 'Wilson'ism' -- Carl was a thoughtful man. He usually thought through what he was saying, even in person. You could see the gears turning in his mind.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »

My favorite part of the interview is when someone offscreen coughs and Carl smiles and raises his eyebrows  LOL

Hey man! I noticed that too!  I thought it was something I just noticed and thought of it 'thoughtless' to mention....

RickB

Anyone who has really observed Carl Wilson, his mannerisms and the way he conversed and answered questions would know this had nothing to do with "meds."  A good example (there's plenty of others available) is near the end of the Endless Harmony documentary when Carl talks about the Beach Boys music and the Boys' relationship with each other. That was in 1996, less than two years before his passing, but even at that point in his life, Carl was ever-thoughtful with his answers. Just like he did in this YouTube video, he looked up, cocked his head to one side and closed his eyes. He was obviously giving careful consideration to exactly what he wanted to say.  It's classic Carl.

And the high resolution of that YouTube video – all I can say is WOW!  It seems like every time I (sadly) decide there's nothing else that we haven't already seen to help us remember this wonderfully talented man, a video like this one shows up and gives us Carl Wilson junkies something else to remember.  Thanks for finding and posting this gem.
leftybass77
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 07:38:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing this OP. :-)
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 02:49:26 AM »

thanks for this! CW comes across as such a gentleman.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 07:59:43 AM »

That was fascinating to watch. As others have said, he was so patient and gracious with the interviewer, even though you could tell he was getting just a bit frustrated. (Just before the interview says "that's it" at the end, Carl starts stretching his neck, as if to say, "How much longer is this guy going to take to get through these questions?") I also noticed that Carl never answered with incomplete sentences or "Yes, that's right." He always started by re-phrasing the question, as if his filmed answers were going to be used in a documentary format where the viewer wouldn't hear the question. He never let on that the question wasn't good. He gave thorough and thoughtful answers throughout. (Embedded in response: "Dennis was the only one who surfed." Next question begins: "It's been said that Dennis was the only one who surfed." Oh my God.)
 And I noticed the Brian-like closed-eye thing, particularly toward the end of the interview where Carl would have been getting frustrated.

Were the Beach Boys sent to "media training" like the young pop stars today often are? This is where they supposedly learn how to behave in interviews, toward fans, etc.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:23 AM »

As someone noted earlier, Carl exemplifies kindness and thoughfulness throughout this interview. Not only was he very gracious and patient with the ill-prepared and unengaged interviewer, but in none of Carl's answers did he say anything remotely insulting or negative about anyone - even performers of who he clearly was not a big fan. He would always find something positive to say about whomever he was asked about or happened to be talking about.

This wonderful interview made me gain even more love and respect for Carl. It exemplifies the "kind and gentle soul" descriptor we've always heard regarding Carl .

I think I'll start marketing some bracelets people can wear that say "WWCWD?" Hmmm.....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

Nice interview. Makes me really miss Carl.

This

Rip Carl

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 07:08:14 AM »

This somehow reminds me of the Chris Farley interview with Paul McCartney.  Paul politely responding to the Farley character's inept questioning.   
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx