gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:39:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Winter and Elaine Stritch RIP  (Read 1398 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:40:33 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/johnny-winter-rip.html

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/elaine-stritch-rip.html
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »

Thanks for all the great music, Johnny. R.I.P.

A great one: http://youtu.be/wQPlU5q1CBI
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »

R.I.P.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:46:41 AM »

Sad to see this about Johnny Winter.  When I was a kid I worked at a grocery store, this strange hippie used to come in all the time and we'd always talk to him.  He'd talk about his favorite music, and eventually made us a mix tape (me and a couple friends that worked there)... one of the first guys he put on there was Johnny Winter, he was amazed we'd never heard of him and wanted to make sure we all knew who he was and how awesome he was.  I've still go the tape!

I'ts amazing how guys like him who are obviously at basically a virtuoso master level at their particular instrument just kind of fade away and never get the respect they deserve.  I'm foolish enough to believe there's a place we all go after death where everyone's respected; see you then, Johnny!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:08:15 AM »

Elaine Stritch is probably an unusual person to be discussed on this forum but she was truly one of the most engaging performers in musical theatre up to the very end.  Her performance on the original cast album of Stephen Sondheim's "Company" is legendary as is its recording session which was filmed by DA Pennebaker showing a determined woman struggling to make a perfect recording only to come back the next day and knock it out of the park in one take.  It's a really cool moment and Stritch's rendition of the song is mesmerizing.

danieljack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »

Johnny Winter is a huge loss. Much influence on blues and blues based southern rock from my old stomping grounds in the Gulf Coast. Beaumont….what a crappy, toxic place to spawn such a great musician.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx