gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:13:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Solo Survivor #2 Winner: Bruce Johnston's I Write The Songs  (Read 53427 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »

Don't hurt my.......don't fight the.....don't talk.....don't worry....don't be scared

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bluesno1fann
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

Disney Girls (1957)

A bland cover of a great song
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »

Tankoo Baybee

“We live in divisive times.”
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 12:09:59 AM »

Don't be scared

Possibly the wimpiest sing I've ever heard in my life
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

Don't Be Scared
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »

TYB

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »

I don't remember some of these too well.  I believe this too be the absolute worst left:
"Thank You, Baby"...but no thanks Bruce, that is a terrible performance.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »

Welcome back, one and all, to the second thread of the Beach Boys Solo Survivor. I can tell this is a thread for the Survivor DIEHARDS!  LOL

The Solo Survivors are going to tackle the main solo albums of members of the Beach Boys. This will not include solo albums released prior to membership in the Beach Boys. This will also not include works done by members who were participating in different groups (ie David Marks in The Moon or The Marksmen) nor will it include "Best Of" albums or rehash albums (ie Summertime Cruisin' by Mike Love and Bruce Johnston will not be included. This also means we will not be including Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE or I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.) Lastly, we will not be including EP's or Unreleased Albums.

Some of the Solo Survivor albums may be hard to come across. Smilers are encouraged to locate legal copies of the solo albums. I expect these rounds to go quicker with less voting than normal. No big deal.

So without further ado...

Going Public is Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston's third and final solo album, and the only one recorded after becoming a member of the band. It was released in 1977 under Columbia Records. Bruce proves to the world what Beach Boys fans have known from the get-go: namely, he hasn't a rock 'n' roll bone in his body.

So apparently this is the most hated album in entire Beach Boys Oeuvre.  LOL

Thank You Baby for voting this one off. (5)

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK. The track with most votes will be voted off.

Tally on July 25th. If you can bring yourself to vote.

I Write the Songs
Deidre
Disney Girls
Rock and Roll Survivor
Don't Be Scared
Pipeline

Round#1 - Won't Somebody Dance with Me July 18
Round#2 - Rendezvous July 21
Round#3 - Thank You Baby July 23

Crud.. I had to listen to this again to vote...

Disney Girls. BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

Don't Be Scared
bluesno1fann
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »

Disney Girls
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »

Don't Be Scared
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »

Don't Be Scared
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »

Kill meeee.....

Disney Gurls

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »

Dinnae Be Scarred

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »

Don't be scared

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:27 PM »

Don't be scared

Not sure how it lasted longer than thank you baby. Both are bad, but I think TYB is better.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »

Welcome back, one and all, to the second thread of the Beach Boys Solo Survivor. I can tell this is a thread for the Survivor DIEHARDS!  LOL

The Solo Survivors are going to tackle the main solo albums of members of the Beach Boys. This will not include solo albums released prior to membership in the Beach Boys. This will also not include works done by members who were participating in different groups (ie David Marks in The Moon or The Marksmen) nor will it include "Best Of" albums or rehash albums (ie Summertime Cruisin' by Mike Love and Bruce Johnston will not be included. This also means we will not be including Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE or I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.) Lastly, we will not be including EP's or Unreleased Albums.

Some of the Solo Survivor albums may be hard to come across. Smilers are encouraged to locate legal copies of the solo albums. I expect these rounds to go quicker with less voting than normal. No big deal.

So without further ado...

Going Public is Beach Boys member Bruce Johnston's third and final solo album, and the only one recorded after becoming a member of the band. It was released in 1977 under Columbia Records. Bruce proves to the world what Beach Boys fans have known from the get-go: namely, he hasn't a rock 'n' roll bone in his body.

So apparently this is the most hated album in entire Beach Boys Oeuvre.  LOL

Don't be scared. We only have 2 more songs to vote off. (7)

Per the usual, vote for your LEAST FAVORITE TRACK. The track with most votes will be voted off.

Tally on July 27th. If you can bring yourself to vote.

I Write the Songs
Deidre
Disney Girls
Rock and Roll Survivor
Pipeline

Round#1 - Won't Somebody Dance with Me July 18
Round#2 - Rendezvous July 21
Round#3 - Thank You Baby July 23
Round#4 - Don't Be Scared July 25

Crud.. I had to listen to this again to vote...

Disney Girls. BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND BLAND
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »

Rock and roll survivor
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »

Dis G's

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »

Disney Girls
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »

DG

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2014, 04:39:07 AM »

Don't Be Scared
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »

Disney Girls - Sucks compared to the original.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

Trying hard to keep my interest up.  The track that lost would have been my pick, Phoenix hasn't noticed it's gone yet either - or is making sure the point has been made.  "Don't be Scared" is a crap track.
This pick is for maybe the worst version of this I've ever heard.  I've heard bar bands do it better.  Man, I should put my copy up for sale online...cause I don't think I'm ever going to listen to this album again.  My collection doesn't have to be this complete... that is what I thought after hearing it the first time in 1977.  Is it just this album?  Not really.  He had, by this point, lost his knack for writing - that's for sure.  He bounced back for a brief time.  I think he did fine on his return to the Beach Boys.  Remember?  I still don't understand how he got sole production credit, Carl and Al should have got a nod, but L.A. (Light Album) is a great album - I love that, all of it.  Bruce has a solid place in my heart.  But not for this:
"Pipeline"  Putting this out in public was a mistake.  And embarrassing.  We're half way through the record...soon we will have to decide which of the re-do tracks are the worst.  At least those are well written, though "Disney Girls" is already taking a beating.  

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bluesno1fann
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2014, 07:21:36 AM »

I think Pipeline's the best song off this album. It's nothing compared to the original, but it's still catchy as hell. And it's the only reason why I have Going Public on my IPhone  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx