gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:15:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick review of Jon Stebbins' Beach Boys FAQ  (Read 6962 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »

One of the more powerful passages for me was John's story about Brian and the fireworks (location 5261 of 6318 in the Kindle edition, for those keeping track). Brian is such a black box for many of us, and that story-- especially as told from John's firsthand experience-- provides such a poignant, albeit infinitely sad peek into his mind.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »

Um, no, because I actually purchased and read the book. Not sure what you're getting at. I made an observation that I still believe to be true based on the clarified parameters in my last post.

What are you on about? You said that the mid-period album reviews got given short shift in comparison to the early-period albums, which is factually incorrect as anyone with a copy of the book to hand can see. When this was pointed out to you, you started making petty remarks re people's punctuation and claiming that you weren't 'arsed'.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:26 PM »

One of the more powerful passages for me was John's story about Brian and the fireworks (location 5261 of 6318 in the Kindle edition, for those keeping track). Brian is such a black box for many of us, and that story-- especially as told from John's firsthand experience-- provides such a poignant, albeit infinitely sad peek into his mind.

John who ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »

Um, no, because I actually purchased and read the book. Not sure what you're getting at. I made an observation that I still believe to be true based on the clarified parameters in my last post.

What are you on about? You said that the mid-period album reviews got given short shift in comparison to the early-period albums, which is factually incorrect as anyone with a copy of the book to hand can see. When this was pointed out to you, you started making petty remarks re people's punctuation and claiming that you weren't 'arsed'.

Have you read my last few responses?  First I conceded that that may not be the case. Then I explained that my perception that the middle albums were dealt with less was likely due to a stronger emphasis throughout the book. To be even more specific, John's heavy emphasis on the classic BB sound and the progression that led to Smile. THAT is factually correct as anybody with the book at hand can see. I couldn't be "arsed" (Smilin Ed's word, not mine) into counting pages because it was only part of a minor quibble and, given my clarification above, would be difficult to quantify.

As for AGD, he laid into me with a fallacy. I hit back with the punctuation comment. For the life of me I can't make heads or tails of his last analogy. Kinda funny that you all find my remarks petty given the comments i am responding to.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »

John who ?

Jon. My bad.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:55 PM »

Funny kind of author who can't recall correctly the christian name of the author of the book he didn't actually consult before making an inaccurate point about.

Now, how about the music that Mike wrote for "Good Vibrations" ? Cool or what ? Mind, Brian's lyrics are pretty damn good too, huh ?

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:06 PM »

Pissed you off with the punctuation comment, did I?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 11:49:42 PM »

Have you read my last few responses?  First I conceded that that may not be the case. Then I explained that my perception that the middle albums were dealt with less was likely due to a stronger emphasis throughout the book. To be even more specific, John's heavy emphasis on the classic BB sound and the progression that led to Smile. THAT is factually correct as anybody with the book at hand can see. I couldn't be "arsed" (Smilin Ed's word, not mine) into counting pages because it was only part of a minor quibble and, given my clarification above, would be difficult to quantify.

Not really. Even after it had been pointed out re the album reviews error, you were still saying (of me) 'Thus the concession that he may be right'. Why the 'may be'? It's not a matter of debate: pick up the book and look. Surely it's not that difficult to just grab a book off the shelf? Rather than going 'hmmm well there's a possibility that's accurate'. (Unless you're reading the book off a kindle in which case fair enough, then I can see how it'd have been easier to slip up...)

Also, does Jon's discussion re Smile count as his talking about an 'early album'? Does anyone think of Smile as an early-period album? Is Pet Sounds an early album too then? (In fact, as it was released in the first fifth of their career, could Carl & The Passions be classed as an early album as well?)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:55:59 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »

Pissed you off with the punctuation comment, did I?

Nope. No big deal. It's not like I've been talking nonsense about a book I've not read properly.  Grin

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »

Yep, Kindle version on my phone. I've learned I prefer a nice physical copy. I've also been typing all this on my phone, hence the typos and my apparent failure to communicate my thoughts on this. I don't mean to come off as petty or undignified.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »

Fair enough.

Yet another reason to add to the list of reasons why I hate Kindles. If I'm going to read a book I want a book, with pages I can turn, that I can put on my shelf and, you know, actually own, rather than just having everything stored on some gadget and reading via a brightly lit screen shining into my eyeballs. In much the same way if I want to listen to music I buy a record or a CD rather than listen to a download or an ipad.

(Can you believe I'm only 32? Moan, mumble, grumble, complain, modern technology, when i were a lad, etc.)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 12:17:06 AM »

I was particularly curmudgeonly in my early 30's (I'm 39 now) and except for vinyl, I usually prefer digital everything for the convenience. I grabbed the Kindle version of the book because I was on the road and had a few hours I could devote to reading it. iPhone screen with no page numbers. I'm going old school with the next BB book.  Speaking of that, I'm looking for suggestions.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 02:26:38 AM »

I was particularly curmudgeonly in my early 30's (I'm 39 now) and except for vinyl, I usually prefer digital everything for the convenience. I grabbed the Kindle version of the book because I was on the road and had a few hours I could devote to reading it. iPhone screen with no page numbers. I'm going old school with the next BB book.  Speaking of that, I'm looking for suggestions.

AGD's Complete Guide to... is great fun.
Peter Ames Carlin's Catch a Wave is brilliantly written, a great read.
Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys by Mark Dillon is very interesting, a really unique and interesting take on the bands history, full of great quotes from famous BB fans and associates.
Keith Badman's BB book gets a hard time on here - due to several errors and some pinching from uncredited sources - however it's a great book for leafing through when the need arises and its full of great photos.
I'd avoid Timothy White's The Nearest Faraway Place. Some people rave about it; personally I think it's boring and I find myself disagreeing with him on the music so often its frustrating.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »

Agree with you on White's book - a chore to get through IMO.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx