-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Famous Musical Locations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Famous Musical Locations  (Read 2627 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:22:36 AM »

I'm going to be stopping through Woodstock in a couple of days, mainly to see the real thing, the Big Pink house. I haven't planned to see anything else in Woodstock yet (any suggestions?) but I'm usually happy to stop through new places without pre-planning. Seeing Big Pink is exciting, maybe it'll start me on a life-long journey of seeing important musical locations.

Where have you guys been that's music related and cool? I've been meaning to ask since guitarfool explained the location of the 'Appeal to the Higher Spirit'. That'll be my next stop.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:23:52 AM by Mr. Jawbone » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »

Is this Woodstock, coming to Woodstock this week-end?  All the avatar/name changes have to be studied...then I'll answer.
Okay, figured it out.  This is Niko.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:53:01 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

SHOOT. I'll change my name back before I post a photo  Wink

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

http://www.woodstockguild.org/about-byrdcliffe
Hey Niko,  This is a wonderful place.  Where Dylan lived, or near here, I forget the exact address he lived.  Sure you could google that and get the right spot.  Byrdcliffe Arts Colony has a neat 1 mile/ one hour or so, according to how slow you go...loop self-guided walking tour.  There is a map at the link.  I'll give it some more thought and maybe add some more tomorrow morning, it's time for me to shut down for the night. 
When are you getting here?   peace, Will
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:09:53 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »

Will, thanks for the link. I forgot that you in fact live in Woodstock. My only plan so far is to see Big Pink, but we'll be planning things out tomorrow. I'll be driving through on Thursday or Friday I believe, and then on to Cranberry Lake. As of right now I'm staying on Little York Lake. It'd be cool to have a beer in one of the bars that all the musicians used to frequent, but I can't say I know what I'll be doing  Grin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:20:05 PM by Woodstock » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

http://www.radiowoodstock.com/events
Niko,  You didn't say how long you were going to be in the area in the PM.  There's always loads going on around here.  From were you were the other day, you guys must be on a very long road trip - up (the Finger Lakes) and down (here) then back up (almost to Canada) through the state.  And that's great!  This is a beautiful place with lots of State Parks - there's one near Woodstock.  And don't forget to have a picture taken in front of Overlook Mountain (like on the classic Brown album photo).  If you are here on Friday night, go to New Paltz - our University Village and very historical (a whole area of old houses, a lot has been saved and cared for in Ulster County). Kingston too, but that's not exactly a fun town.  Yeah, New Paltz would be my #1 place to check out, more going on there than Woodstock - which is over-run with tourists looking for the Hippie Dream.  New Paltz has lots of young folks, Hip bars and you could visit Rhino Records - the place they moved after selling-out to Warners.  It's a great shop.  Woodstock has a nice record store too.
The biggest major act is James Taylor - up in Saratoga (where you're headed) on the 19th, and over at Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock location) on the 20th.  That place is fantastic!  Even to just visit.
Sounds like you are having a great time...continue to enjoy.  peace, Will
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:33:52 PM by feelsflow » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »

I may not make it all the way to Woodstock I'm afraid. I'll be stopping at the Woodstock site and museum, but I just dunno about getting to the town tomorrow  Sad

rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

I went to Woodstock '94 in Bethel, NY (not the huge televised metal band version in Saratoga). Arlo Guthrie and Sha Na Na were there. Great time and everything was free (parking, camping, etc.). We even bathed in that watering hole as seen in the movie.

Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: