gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:19:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ADAM MARSLAND'S CHAOS BAND PRESENT "THE SONGS OF DENNIS AND CARL WILSON"  (Read 8794 times)
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2006, 06:45:46 AM »

http://www.myspace.com/denniscarltour 

This tour kicks off Saturday in Cowtown, and hopefully I will get to go (still a few things to work out).  Anyone else in Columbus going?  If possible, want to hook up?  Rob McCabe, still going?

Alan Boyd will be there too.  Alan, if you pop in, what are we looking at for this tour?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:34:49 AM »

I was fortunate enough to see Alan and Adam and the Chaos Band run through some of the Dennis/Carl material last night.  I think people will love it.  It's a real trip to hear songs that you'd never imagine you'd hear live.  They're really covering a lot of ground, from Friends all the way to the 90s, so there's something for everybody. 
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »

I'm catching their shows at Hodadfest, Taylor MI, Chicago, and Cudahy WI.

Can't wait!  That's gonna be some fun times to celebrate after 2 years of college hell (but I graduate next week YAY!!!)

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »

Not only do they cover a lot of ground, but they cover it realy, REALLY well!

I keep trying to figure out a way to get to a show...but short of a freak snow storm that closes school but miraculously lets me fly out to the midwest, and at a ridiculously low fare, i just don't see it happening...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jason
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »

I saw that Al Jardine claimed that this band does River Song better than Dennis. High praise from a man with very little nice to say about Dennis. I call bullshit.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »

Not only do they cover a lot of ground, but they cover it realy, REALLY well!

I keep trying to figure out a way to get to a show...but short of a freak snow storm that closes school but miraculously lets me fly out to the midwest, and at a ridiculously low fare, i just don't see it happening...

ABOUT TIME we got something that people on the coasts look at us with envy over.  I can't tell you how many times I looked with envy on what other parts of the country get -- esp California.

Jason -- if I go, I will post my opinion and keep that in mind as I listen.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »

Al not having anything nice to say about Dennis?  That would be bullmerda.  

From the "Endless Harmony" interviews:

"Dennis Wilson's talents were highly underrated, but he was appreciated by none other than James William Guercio, who produced Chicago and then subsequently managed the Beach Boys....he produced, I think, a terrific album called Pacific Ocean Blue, which actually outsold the Beach Boys' album that particular time out.... I thought Dennis did his finest work on that album"

I've had quite a few conversations with Al over the years about Dennis and his music.  I can tell you that Al most certainly DID appreciate Dennis' work.   But keep in mind, back in the late 70s Dennis was not the easiest fellow to get along with.  I think it was hard for some people in that world to get past the unpredictable, sometimes destructive behavior in order to really hear the music he was creating.  Which in itself got Dennis even more frustrated and more prone to unpredictable, sometimes destructive behavior..... a very sad vicious circle all around.  

One thing I've learned these last few years working with the group and their archives - none of the BB saga is cut and dry, black and white, heroes or villains.... it's all varying shades of grey, and a lot more complicated than I ever dreamed it could be!

By the way, Dennis never got an opportunity to perform "River Song" live, sadly.  Blondie sang it in concert on the 1973 summer tour, and the arrangement was still somewhat "embryonic."  I wonder if Al was sort of remembering that when he made his comment....

Alan
Jason
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »

Alan, your input is greatly appreciated. My remark is by no means an attack on the work you're doing in bringing this show to the people. My remarks were made based on accounts I've read about Al and Dennis' relationship. There are many accounts that I've seen of Al being very dismissive towards Dennis and his talents; I've seen and heard very few positives out of Al about Dennis. I'm glad to know that I'm wrong in my remarks.
Cabana Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »

Do you read the Beach Boys related literature you purchase, Jason? Or any of the interviews you find online?

Some aural evidence of Alan's belief in Dennis' talent:
The "biggest Beach Boys fan" in 51 (52?) states *HAS* to own a copy of 'Hawthorne CA', right? Maybe he should quit polishing the bishop over 'Secret Smile' cover-art for long enough to actually LISTEN to it. Here's what Mr. Jardine says on Disc2, track #14...
"Dennis Wilson's talents were highly underrated"
"He taught himself the piano!"

Most accounts seem to indicate that AJ's reservations were lifestyle and band-welfare oriented. Can't say that I've come across much criticism of any of the music Dennis was making.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »

By the way, Dennis never got an opportunity to perform "River Song" live, sadly.  Blondie sang it in concert on the 1973 summer tour, and the arrangement was still somewhat "embryonic."  I wonder if Al was sort of remembering that when he made his comment....

Alan

Did Al say something about "River Song"?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Jason
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »

Do you read the Beach Boys related literature you purchase, Jason? Or any of the interviews you find online?

Some aural evidence of Alan's belief in Dennis' talent:
The "biggest Beach Boys fan" in 51 (52?) states *HAS* to own a copy of 'Hawthorne CA', right? Maybe he should quit polishing the bishop over 'Secret Smile' cover-art for long enough to actually LISTEN to it. Here's what Mr. Jardine says on Disc2, track #14...
"Dennis Wilson's talents were highly underrated"
"He taught himself the piano!"

Most accounts seem to indicate that AJ's reservations were lifestyle and band-welfare oriented. Can't say that I've come across much criticism of any of the music Dennis was making.

I never said that Al had nothing good to say about Dennis; his comments over the last few years certainly point up the holding pattern that he was in fact complimentary towards Dennis and his music.

But wasn't Al the same guy who said they could do it without him on the tarmac at the airport in '77? You know what incident I'm talking about.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 05:22:44 PM »

I'm thinking about getting a band together to do a "music of Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston" tour.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »

Maybe Al meant they do "River Song" better live than Dennis did on record...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 08:51:33 PM »

I caught the Chaos Band's tribute to DW and CW last year in Hawthorne, and it was fantastic! I am a huge fan of the "Other Brothers'" music and the Chaos Band does the younger Wilsons' canon justice. GO SEE THIS SHOW if it comes your way!!

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to travel long distances right now, so I am hoping the Chaos Band will consider some venues in the Southeast, especially Atlanta or Athens.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:40:46 PM »

Uh-oh- looks like we have another Georgia Cracker here.  You go to UGA, Emdeeh?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 10:15:53 AM »

I don't go there, I work there!  Cool
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »

I saw that Al Jardine claimed that this band does River Song better than Dennis.

Their cover of River song is surreal; very, very surreal.

I'd definitely recommend the show if they play close to you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:21:52 AM by andy » Logged
Mark Kidd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 03:35:15 PM »

I'm hoping to see the show in Covington if I can find someone to come with me. Any thoughts on that show's venue - The Mad Hatter? A quick google search doesn't turn up a page for them.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 06:42:46 PM »

Mark, I can't help you with Covington.  It may only be 90 minutes away, but I can't go to more than 1 show, and I can't pass up a local one.

OK, I am in unless there is some emergency.  To anyone on this board who is planning on going to the Columbus show:  as of now, a group of us is meeting at either 5:30 or 6 PM that night at the Panda Inn restaurant which is a block away from the club where the band is appearing:

http://cityguide.aol.com/columbus/dining/venue.adp?town=1676&cat=vt%5f45%5fst%5f&page=detailSummary&id=105257534&skip=32&back=search%252eadp%253ftown%253d1676%2526cat%253dvt%25255f45%25255fst%25255f%2526page%253dlistingsLong%2526skip%253d30%2526layer%253dvenues&layer=venues

It's decent food, it's cheap and it's close.  I am waiting to hear from some Columbusites (like Leon Lively) to see if they are interested and in.  Since I haven't consulted everyone, this may change.  If so, I will post any changes.  Plans will be finalized by Friday, I hope.  Please if you are interested in going to this show, PM me or post here, so I have some idea to give to the server.

And Alan, no idea what you guys do before a show, but you are all certainly welcome to come join in with us!  In fact, you would be the guest of honor if you did!   Grin
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »

Jeff - that sounds great!  I may try to take you up on that, and I'll definitely pass it along to the Chaos gang.

Keep in mind, though - we'll be flying in to Columbus pretty close to when we're supposed to get onstage and do the show.  We may be scrambling to get set up in time!  With three keyboard rigs and a mess o' guitars and drums, it takes a bit of doing...

(Man, I can't believe we're really doing this thing.  Wow.)

Alan
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 04:41:29 AM »

Maybe we can go out after together somewhere then...   Grin

(or maybe I can just be happy to get the show and call it good, and not be a greedy pig)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »

Quote from: Alan Boyd

I'm just grateful you're doing this thing. Carl and Denny's music deserves the exposure, and y'all are getting it out there and doing it justice. Please, please, please bring this tour to the South!
Mark Kidd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »

Quote from: Alan Boyd

I'm just grateful you're doing this thing. Carl and Denny's music deserves the exposure, and y'all are getting it out there and doing it justice. Please, please, please bring this tour to the South!

It's only in the South to some people, but if anyone is in the central Kentucky area maybe we could combine forces to get there. I'm in Lexington but at the moment still canvassing my friends and acquaintances to find company for a trip.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 09:06:23 AM »

Just found out....

There's another band, a popular local one, on the docket for the evening.  So the place could be crowded.  Alan, who's playing first?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »

I think the other band is up first...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx