gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:20:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Live Albums Ever!  (Read 8854 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »

Here's my list.

And I apologize in advance if there's already a thread like this buried someplace.

Blue Oyster Cult: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
AC/DC: If You Want Blood
Yes: Yessongs
The Velvet Underground: 69
Sam Cooke: Live At The Harlem Square Club
Lou Reed: Take No Prisoners
John Cale: Fragments Of A Rainy Season
The Beach Boys: In Concert
Fairport Convention: Moat On The Ledge
Rick Nelson: Live At The Troubadour
Neil Young & Crazy Horse: Weld
Elvis: Live At Madison Square Garden

Oh man, I could go on and on.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »

I'm not really a live albums guy for the most part. I think they are the worst of all worlds, losing the power and magic of a live performance but lacking the polish and detail of a studio product. That said, here are a few more.

Frank Zappa - Live at the Roxy. Many candidates from FZ, but Roxy is spectacular. Cheepnis...

Simon & Garfunkel - Live from NYC 1967. Great singers, great backing band, great era.

Queen - Live Killers. And Live at Wembley for that matter. But the videos always take precedence with Queen live shows because of Freddie's charisma, which is enhanced by visuals.

KISS - Alive. No, it's not really particularly live (though many, many live albums suffer the same fate). But it broke them as a massively popular act and produced some definitive versions of tunes that in their studio versions fell flat. I suspect this board isn't especially KISS-friendly, but frankly I don't care. (I really like Alive II, too.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »

I'm a late blooming KISS fanatic!!!

Some older kid on my block growing up convinced me that they were a satanic cult that kidnapped and sacrificed little kids!

I think that has much to do with me kind of avoiding them. Now I can't get enough! I even love The Elder!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »

Circa 1989, Music from the Elder was one of my favorite albums ever. Yikes. But I am an unabashed KISS fan, in a way. Meaning I fully understand what they were (and weren't), but they were hugely important to me and to rock n roll in the same kind of way the far better received Ramones were. Big dumb catchy pop (hard-)rock. Perfect for adolescent boys.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »

Circa 1989, Music from the Elder was one of my favorite albums ever. Yikes. But I am an unabashed KISS fan, in a way. Meaning I fully understand what they were (and weren't), but they were hugely important to me and to rock n roll in the same kind of way the far better received Ramones were. Big dumb catchy pop (hard-)rock. Perfect for adolescent boys.

I usually use Cheap Trick as a gateway drug for non KISS fans ..... Both bands are very similar: just great, straight ahead and loose rock n roll with great tunes. I've known a lot of people who love Cheap Trick and hate KISS, so it most usually works.

OK, here are some live albums that I think suck:

Blue Oyster Cult: Extraterrestrial Live
Grateful Dead: Steal Your Face
Creedence: Live In Europe (just not the same without Doug)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »

I'd add jerry lee Lewis live at the star club, beach boys live in London, the who live at Leeds, get yer ya yas out by the stones, Dylan and the band live at the royal Albert hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »

Those are all fantastic ones!

I actually dig Still Life and Love You Lives by The Stones as well....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

The Dylan bootleg series Rolling Thunder Revue is pretty great, too.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »

You got it.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »

I usually use Cheap Trick as a gateway drug for non KISS fans ..... Both bands are very similar: just great, straight ahead and loose rock n roll with great tunes. I've known a lot of people who love Cheap Trick and hate KISS, so it most usually works.

You mean Tom.

I'd nominate "Frampton Comes Alive" and Humble Pie "Rockin the Fillmore".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:26:17 AM »

You mean Tom.

Oops! Yes, Tom! Thank you!

Rockin The Filmore is awesome! There was this Steve Marriot live CD I found way back when from, I think, 1984 that was absolutely amazing! I should try and track it down.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »

You mean Tom.

Oops! Yes, Tom! Thank you!

Rockin The Filmore is awesome! There was this Steve Marriot live CD I found way back when from, I think, 1984 that was absolutely amazing! I should try and track it down.

I just saw CCR - Creedence Clearwater Revisited. Gosh, they really miss Tom and John.

Yeah, Marriot could really sing!

Oh, Live at Leeds by the Who was a favorite way back when.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:44 AM »

My two absolute favourites are Live At The Isle of Wight '70 (The Who) and Live '66 At The "Royal Albert Hall" (Bob Dylan).

Others I love:

Aerosmith - Live! Bootleg
The Band - Rock of Ages
Bob Dylan - Live '64 Concert at Philharmonic Hall
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York
Ramones - It's Alive!
Sam Cooke - Live At The Harlem Square Club '63
The Who - Live At Leeds
Simon & Garfunkel - Live From New York City, '67
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:22 AM »

Like the captain I'm not really a live albums guy (and I appreciate Zappa's live recordings). So my list is short:

The Band----Rock of Ages
The Grateful Dead----Live/Dead (the first four tracks)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:39:23 AM »

Tricky thing with Zappa is they several albums were recorded live or contained some live performances but don't scream out "Live album"

Does Running On Empty count? Most of it was recorded at live shows or at soundcheck!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:00 AM »

Just wanted to mention these:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club
"The greatest live show on earth" is almost just as good and has a broader variety of material but the sound isn't as good imo

Elvis Presley - In Person
Originally part of a double album with what would later be released as the "Back in Memphis" album under the title "From Memphis to Vegas - From Vegas to Memphis".

Lonnie Donegan, Van Morrison, Chris Barber - The Skiffle Session

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
The Velvet Underground Live 1993 (better than 1969 in my opinion)
CSNY - 4 Way Street and the newly released CSNY 1974
Paul McCartney & Wings - Wings Over America
The Beatles - Live at the BBC (Vols. 1 & 2)
The Who - Live At Leeds
The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
Bruce Springsteen - Hammersmith Odeon 1975
Billy Joel - A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia
George Harrison - The Concert for Bangladesh
Ben Folds Five - Live
The Band - The Last Waltz

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »

Tricky thing with Zappa is they several albums were recorded live or contained some live performances but don't scream out "Live album"

Well, the thing with Zappa is that he liked to overdub. He would keep the bass and drums and then replace everything else in the studio.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »

When Paul McCartney's Good Evening New York City came out in 2009 (?), it was on sale at Amazon for an unbelievably low price - so I grabbed it. I burned a "highlight" version on an 80 minute CD for my car and it has been a staple ever since. I love the set list, the band, and McCartney's performance. I understand if you want to disqualify it because of the autotune, but I continue to enjoy the album very, very much.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Well, the thing with Zappa is that he liked to overdub. He would keep the bass and drums and then replace everything else in the studio.

He's all over the map, really. With albums he advertised as live, he also boasted the absence of any overdubbing (though sometimes/often he spliced together different performances even within the same song).

However on albums not necessarily marketed as live, live recordings regularly formed a bed for studio work atop it, often making entirely new songs. This seems to be how he did most of his non-orchestral, non-Synclavier albums from the 80s onward.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »

I've seen that Jerry Lee record many times! I will snag it ASAP!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

When Paul McCartney's Good Evening New York City came out in 2009 (?), it was on sale at Amazon for an unbelievably low price - so I grabbed it. I burned a "highlight" version on an 80 minute CD for my car and it has been a staple ever since. I love the set list, the band, and McCartney's performance. I understand if you want to disqualify it because of the autotune, but I continue to enjoy the album very, very much.

It's a favorite of mine as well as I was at one of the concerts where it was recorded!  Only one of the nights did Billy Joel join Paul on "I Saw Her Standing There" and that was the night I went.

A lot of emotional moments on that disc too.  Paul is clearly holding back tears when he sings "Here Today" for John and "My Love" for Linda.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

The Doors - Live at the Hollywood Bowl '68
AC/DC - Live at Donnington (I know, it's not an album - but nearly 20 minutes of 'Let There Be Rock' makes me put this concert on once a year).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

The Doors - Live at the Hollywood Bowl '68
AC/DC - Live at Donnington (I know, it's not an album - but nearly 20 minutes of 'Let There Be Rock' makes me put this concert on once a year).

"Who Made Who" on Donnington kicks ass all over the album version, in my book!

Doors: Absolutely Live is great too, for quite different reasons than Hollywood Bowl!

Alive She Cried is also fab!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »

Here's my list.

And I apologize in advance if there's already a thread like this buried someplace.

AC/DC: If You Want Blood
Yes: Yessongs
The Velvet Underground: 69
Sam Cooke: Live At The Harlem Square Club
Lou Reed: Take No Prisoners
John Cale: Fragments Of A Rainy Season
The Beach Boys: In Concert
Fairport Convention: Moat On The Ledge
Rick Nelson: Live At The Troubadour
Neil Young & Crazy Horse: Weld
Elvis: Live At Madison Square Garden

Oh man, I could go on and on.

I could never get into Elvis' MADISON SQUARE GARDEN album to be honest. The live disc of MEMPHIS TO VEGAS/VEGAS TO MEMPHIS (1969) blows it away! Also prefer the relatively sedate ALOHA FROM HAWAII over MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. The Madison Square Garden gigs are fabled in Elvis history but somehow the magic did not translate.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx