-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164253 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:20 PM »

If the Cavs lose tonight, or if they actually win the series, these are probably the last games that Love wears a Cavs jersey.

I think you called this one right.  His decision to come to Cleveland has devalued him.  Not necessarily the wrong decision at the time, but that's they way it worked out.  Wherever he lands he'll be better off.

I got so caught up talking about the first part of this (that it wasn't Love's decision) that I skipped the last sentence entirely. And I disagree, to a point. I think it's essential that Love go to a team with a pass-first point guard, or lacking that, at least a team with several above-average ball movers. He can't just be relegated to the role of garbage man in the paint or of--as he is now--floor-spacing corner shooter. But it is going to be interesting to see what works best. We know he can be the #1 option and put up great numbers on terrible-to-mediocre teams, as he did in Minnesota. And we know he can be a very inconsistent #3 option on a championship contender. Is there a different kind of contender on which he's a #1 option? Or a#2? How the pieces fit together and the style of play will matter tremendously, obviously. I think that eventually Love is a #2 option, or maybe a #1 scorer but 2nd best player.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 19, 2016, 11:02:03 PM »

If the Cavs lose tonight, or if they actually win the series, these are probably the last games that Love wears a Cavs jersey.

I think you called this one right.  His decision to come to Cleveland has devalued him.  Not necessarily the wrong decision at the time, but that's they way it worked out.  Wherever he lands he'll be better off.

I got so caught up talking about the first part of this (that it wasn't Love's decision) that I skipped the last sentence entirely. And I disagree, to a point. I think it's essential that Love go to a team with a pass-first point guard, or lacking that, at least a team with several above-average ball movers. He can't just be relegated to the role of garbage man in the paint or of--as he is now--floor-spacing corner shooter. But it is going to be interesting to see what works best. We know he can be the #1 option and put up great numbers on terrible-to-mediocre teams, as he did in Minnesota. And we know he can be a very inconsistent #3 option on a championship contender. Is there a different kind of contender on which he's a #1 option? Or a#2? How the pieces fit together and the style of play will matter tremendously, obviously. I think that eventually Love is a #2 option, or maybe a #1 scorer but 2nd best player.

I agree, though I am not sure that tonight was his last Cavs game.... I think he would find a good role on a team like the Wizards, good pass-first point in Wall and a inside presence in Gortat/Nene to allow him to be a stretch 4. Obviously not the same prestige as the championship Cavs but it would be somewhere more suited to his abilities. Maybe even Memphis with Mike Conley to help distribute/defend and Gasol to play inside/outside with Z-Bo off the bench
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »

The challenge for Love is not just the pairing offensively but defensively. A Gortat or Gasol, like Love, is limited defensively, particularly on non-post guys. As the league sees fewer teams using two traditional bigs, it'll be hard to find ways to pair Love with complements on both ends

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »

Derrick Rose to the Knicks. Interesting.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 22, 2016, 03:13:52 PM »

Derrick Rose to the Knicks. Interesting.

As a Knicks fan and Derrick Rose "hater" I was very annoyed when I heard about this trade today. I started having Steve Francis flashbacks  Huh With that said, now that I've read about the details of the trade, I may be crazy, but I'm really starting to like it! The Knicks greatest need entering free agency was the PG position and there was no indication of Mike Conley signing with NY. This trade upgrades the PG position (temporarily) and gives NY more options to sign a significant player or two with its $30M in cap space. I think among free agents, the Rose trade, the hiring of Hornacek (over Rambis), along with Porzingis and Melo, make NY the most attractive it has been in a long time (not saying much, I know) and hopefully increases the chances of New York being able to lore a top free agent. I'm not overly concerned with losing Lopez, Calderon, or Grant and it freed up cap space next summer as Derrick Rose only has one more year on his deal and Lopez had three. Admittedly, I'm not very knowledgeable on the current free agents or draft, because it didn't seem to me the Knicks were in a strong position (despite having cap space). Perhaps this trade changes that a bit?

Is there anyone in the draft that could have a big impact on the league next year? The Knicks don't have a pick, of course, they gave theirs to the Warriors (#7) and gave the Denver pick to Atlanta (#9), I believe.

In regard to Kevin Love, I was happy for him to play well in Game 7 despite hoping the Cavs would lose. Tyronn Lue had a lot of nice things to say about him and stated that Kevin would be back next year and that he wanted him back. Perhaps, winning does cure all? I really thought Love's days in Cleveland were over. Still could be...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:36:34 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 23, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »

I think the Rose trade makes some sense for both teams, though it's also odd for both.

NY: gets another marketable player, only 1 year financial obligation, if he's healthy it's a steal. Also loss of Lopez lets them play Melo at 4 and Zinger at 5, which is where both cause best matchup issues. But hasn't been healthy in years and is certainly as far from a triangle guard as an NBA guard can be.

Chi: fixes reported rift between Rose & Butler, removes style issue of Rose from Hoiberg's ball-sharing equal opportunity offense, gives them a legit big to mollify losses of Gasol and Noah, plus a young guard prospect enters the picture (in Grant). But this isn't a playoff team now. Can draft/FA fix that, or do they also move Butler and fully rebuild?

The ATL-ind-Utah trade was also interesting.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 26, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »

Turned on the telly just long enough to see ad for  Stephen Colbert show tomorrow night on CBS.
Kevin Love is scheduled to be one of the guests.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:08:07 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: