-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164371 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:17 AM »

The 76ers are on fire! And they better NOT trade Tony Wroten for a couple of 2019 draft picks. Roll Eyes
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2015, 06:53:12 AM »

The rumors make it seem he's been something of a hot commodity lately. Of course that may just be based on 29 other GMs assuming Hinkie wants to deal away everybody with any hint of NBA potential...

Have you kept up on the Kirilenko story? I read this week that the trade was made with a handshake agreement that the Sixers would waive him, as is often the case when an established player is dealt to a tanking or otherwise terrible team, but that the 76ers then told him he had to report (which obviously he has yet to do, all these weeks later). Notwithstanding the ethics of rules-skirting with handshake agreements (which we can safely assume happen all the time), a quote from an anonymous front office person from another team is what struck me: "Doesn't [Hinkie] realize he's going to have to keep dealing with these same people every day?"

That's my attitude whenever fans complain about placating this or that agent, other team, or "doing right by" a player. It's a small, small world. If you renege on an agreement, or do something generally assholeish, that's one out of 29 other teams that blacklists you. Or one out of [however many--and it isn't many] power-agencies who will never, ever steer a player your way in free agency.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »

I heard/read the same things you wrote about Kirilenko. And, based on the 76ers current front office, I didn't doubt them. However, during last night's broadcast, 76ers play-by-play announcer, Marc Zumoff, who I think has some credibility, reported that 76ers coach Brett Brown "met and had breakfast with Kirirlenko" shortly after the trade and discussed Kirilenko's role with the team, mentoring some of the young players, GOING FORWARD. But, hey, who knows...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »

Wolves get the news that yet another player is out hurt: Second-year "power guard" Shabazz Muhammad is out at least two weeks with a strained oblique. After two weeks, he'll be re-evaluated. Muhammad averaged under 4 ppg in his rookie season, but is at 13.7 ppg and 4 rpg this year. As a starter, which he has been since Kevin Martin got hurt, he has been at 15.6 ppg and 4.9 rpg (13 games).

He's not the greatest player, but he is an aggressive, strong wing who attacks the hoop and the offensive glass. He's a work in progress pretty much all over the court, but he has been a godsend to this struggling Wolves team. Next man up: Chase Budinger or Robbie Hummel, I suppose...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »

Pistons win again, beating the Raptors by 3. I've never quite seen a team be so absolutely horrible, and then suddenly look like a legitimate team that teams have to bring their A game to beat. Pretty weird.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 13, 2015, 09:27:32 AM »

I am so jealous! But happy for you.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 13, 2015, 04:21:06 PM »

Sucks about Muhammad. I'd actually forgotten about him, because last I knew he was in the D-league. They talked about him being the number 1 pick in the draft when he went to UCLA, and then he became sort of a head case (or just a teenager who was used to being The Man and getting his way all of the time). Looks like he's turned himself around, at least on the court.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 13, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »

Baz has surprised me in interviews: one of the most well spoken and insightful athletes you'll hear. But there were definitely issues at UCLA, some on-court and I suspect some mental. Last year he had the issue of playing for a veterans' coach in Adelman. But this summer he lost a ton of weight (he's sculpted now) and really goes after it. The commentators say he's become a team leader. I love seeing and hearing that stuff.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 13, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »

Baz has surprised me in interviews: one of the most well spoken and insightful athletes you'll hear. But there were definitely issues at UCLA, some on-court and I suspect some mental. Last year he had the issue of playing for a veterans' coach in Adelman. But this summer he lost a ton of weight (he's sculpted now) and really goes after it. The commentators say he's become a team leader. I love seeing and hearing that stuff.

So what you're saying is, he's going to become one of the league's rising stars, and then end up leaving when he becomes a free agent?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2015, 04:38:47 PM »

So what you're saying is, he's going to become one of the league's rising stars, and then end up leaving when he becomes a free agent?

LOL Maybe--par for the course--but I hope not. Seriously, what I imagine his best-case, realistic future to be is that of a good-scoring power wing off the bench on a good team. That's about where he seems likely to end up. He's 22 or something despite being only a 1-and-done and second-year pro. (He was old for his class.) Not that he can't develop, as he is proving now. But to become a substantially better passer, defender, ball-handler, and decision-maker? Seems unlikely. But I can easily imagine him as a 6th man of the year type guy, a 15 ppg player whose strength, athleticism, and pure will can help him out-quick SFs and overpower SGs.

Now what that means about whether he stays or goes, who knows? That kind of player usually chases a starting job and a contract (and understandably so). So I guess the idea is, be a 20 ppg Wolf or a 14 ppg Clipper. (It's still weird for me using them as an example of a good team, growing up through their awful years.)

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

[/quote]
 or a 14 ppg Clipper. (It's still weird for me using them as an example of a good team, growing up through their awful years.)
[/quote]

I still don't think that they're that great. Good, but could you see them beating GS, SA, or Dallas to get to the Finals?

I know what you mean, though. It's like saying that the Raptors are good. Toronto had that small window with Vince Carter where they were about to be the team of the East, and then kaput.

Oddly enough, when the Pistons had their Bad Boys run, one of the teams that I remember (and it may not have really been this way, it may have just been the way that I associated certain things) I would always be worried about was Milwaukee. Rickey Pierce, Larry Krystkowiak, Jack Sikma. Del Harris coaching. Those ugly green uniforms. They were like Boston West or something. I hated them.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »

I hated those Bucks teams--though they were definitely consistently good (but not great). The whole team seemed to be 6-9 to 7-0 white guys with midrange games, though! Not only the ones you mentioned, but Danny Schayes, Randy Breuer, Paul Mokeski (that's two Minnesotans in a row, btw), Fred Roberts, Frank Kornet, Brad Lohaus, Frank Brickowski ... I mean, those guys--the ones you mentioned and the ones I mentioned--were all on the team within a span of a couple years!

Last night the Wolves ended their streak behind a 52-point Mo Williams road game at Indiana. And me? I missed all but the first quarter and a half, unexpectedly pulled out for dinner and a drink with a friend who was in town. I mean, socializing is great, but damnit, can't I watch the rare wins?

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2015, 01:53:02 AM »

Don't worry-it will probably be shown again on a local sports channel as an 'Instant Classic'!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2015, 06:27:07 AM »

Two wins in three (road) games from the Wolves, despite none of the injured guys returning yet. Still lacking Rubio, Pekovic, Martin, and Muhammad, last night the Wolves topped Denver in an untelevised game. Bignight--31 points--from Wiggins, who seems to have really begun figuring out how to be an impact NBA player. After averaging about 12 ppg and shooting in the 38% range over the first couple dozen games, he has averaged more than 20 ppg on better than 50% shooting the past 15 or so. It's extremely comforting to know that, at the very least, our Love trade won't end up an unmitigated disaster. Whatever Thad Young or his salary slot ends up as, however mediocre Anthony Bennett turns out to be, Wiggins looks like a solid starter at worst, and maybe even some level of star.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »

Cleveland probably wishes that they still had Wiggins, and the T'Wolves still had Love.

It's amazing what a couple of wins can do for a team, though-not to mention the fans. Now you believe again! 'Hell, we may just win 5 more games this year!'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 21, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »

Pek returns!

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »

Um, didn't seem to help much  Shocked
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »

It was nice to have him back. 14 and 4, I think, in a limited bench role. We'll be much better with him, and with Martin (who could be back any day). To have your backups go from the likes of Raduljica, Budinger, and LaVine to Dieng, Muhammad, and Mo Williams? Yes please.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:01 AM »

Whens Rubio back? I thought it was going to be the middle of January?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2015, 05:34:37 AM »

It has been a slow road with Rubio! The injury occurred on Nov 7, I think. But in addition to bad sprain, Flip said he tore some things in there. He's finally in full practices now and will be back when there's no pain or swelling. I'd guess 1-2 more weeks minimum.

The other side of it is, they just signed him to that $55 mil extension. They're not going to risk further damage now in an already lost season.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2015, 02:02:19 AM »

It appears that Jennings suffered a torn achillies' tendon. See you next year, playoffs.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2015, 03:14:30 AM »

Captain, where ya been? Your guys beat my guys the other night, and I thought you'd be here to rub it in.
You just got a good player in Payne! I might start paying attention to the 'Wolves now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:07 PM »

Yes, yes, the '14-'15 season is long gone, but I'm afraid to start a new thread of the thread police may arrest me. And then I might be waterboarded. And I'm kind of a softie, so...

Why resurrect this thread, you ask? (You asked. Don't kid yourselves.) Because tomorrow is the trade deadline, the second-best holiday of the year (after the NBA draft, of course). I'm kind of excited because there are rumors surrounding plenty of high-quality players: Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Hassan Whiteside, Ryan Anderson, Mike Conley, Michael Carter-Williams, Alec Burks, Trey Burke, whichever bratty Morris is left in Phoenix, just to name a few. Obviously, the way the NBA works, most of these guys don't move ... but a few will, and some others not yet rumored will, too.

The Timberwolves seem unlikely to do anything other than a peripheral move: Kevin Martin if someone will take him, Shabazz Muhammad if someone offers something of legit value that complements the existing team.

Detroit (paging Mr. Verlander) made a really interesting move already in acquiring Tobias Harris for (expiring) Brandon Jennings and (expendable) Ersan Ilyasova. I'm not a huge Harris fan, but he came into the league so young, he underperformed early. He was a selfish jack of all / master of no trades, but he's increasingly good. Like, not just statistically, but really good. If he can become consistent on his 3s, he's an almost ideal SVG PF. (I say almost because he can't pass the ball a la Hedo Turkoglu, the point forward of those old Magic teams.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 18, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »

Well that was a boring trade deadline.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »

The NBA thread has returned!

I swear I read the other day that the Wolves were shopping Rubio around. However, this year's trades all ended up being BS. The only one that I thought for sure would happen was Howard getting dealt out of Houston. Also, I'm going to admit right now that I'm happy about how bad Houston is. I can't stand either of those guys (Hardin, Howard). I used to really like Howard in Orlando, and then he turned into a guy who was only worried about his 'brand'. And Hardin comes off as the type of teammate that nobody would want. Selfish, and only interested in his own stats.

Once Detroit figures out exactly where all of the pieces go, I think they're going to be really good. As in, top half of the East. Which for them would be really good.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: