-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164246 times)
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2015, 02:09:49 PM »

How 'bout them Golden State Warriors, eh?

They're my 2nd favorite team, because of Draymond Green. He's playing himself into a mighty fine contract. I don't know why they don't hang his number up in the Breslin Center rafters right now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »

I don't know why they don't hang his number up in the Breslin Center rafters right now.

Gotta give it a little room to breathe, you don't want to seem desperate! He'll be up there eventually.

Golden State is by no means the perfect team, but goshdarn is it fun to watch them play basketball. And they have a real shot. I do wish Andrew Bogut could stay healthy. David Lee, too.

Of course being a Minnesotan, I can't help but think about how it might have gone had we gotten Klay Thompson, David Lee, and something else for Kevin Love and Kevin Martin, as had been in consideration at least for some segment of summer. In hindsight, we'd probably have just had an injured Lee (and so been stuck with ... nobody, really, as our other PFs were gotten in that Cleveland trade) and an unhappy Thompson. Would have been a little bit poetic, in that his dad Mychal was a star here in the late '70s in college. But oh well.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »

SJS, watch out: the Knicks look to be chasing that #1 pick with gusto! Reports have them moving JR Smith and Iman Shumpert to Cle as part of a 3-way that lands them Alex Kirk, Lou Amundson and Lance Thomas, all of whom have nonguaranteed deals and will be waived. To make room to complete the deal they will waive Samuel Dalembert.

That's 3 proven (though admittedly imperfect...) players moved for literally nothing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »

SJS, watch out: the Knicks look to be chasing that #1 pick with gusto! Reports have them moving JR Smith and Iman Shumpert to Cle as part of a 3-way that lands them Alex Kirk, Lou Amundson and Lance Thomas, all of whom have nonguaranteed deals and will be waived. To make room to complete the deal they will waive Samuel Dalembert.

That's 3 proven (though admittedly imperfect...) players moved for literally nothing.

And, the 76ers just beat the Cavaliers...without Lebron James and Kyrie Irving. Shocked
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2015, 03:21:41 AM »

Something's wrong with Cleveland, and it's more than just those guys learning to play together.

Why would anyone trade for JR Smith? That's like trading for Josh Smith.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2015, 05:53:15 AM »

Something else occurred to me from the NY angle: not long ago, there were rumors of the Knicks and Melo parting. The rumors were squashed. But IN THEORY, such a trade would almost be a Melo-for-many deal, as there aren't many guys around that $ and most aren't available.

Could this be less a future cap space + tank move and more setting the stage for a trade like the opposite of the one that got him there (Mozgov, Gallinari, Felton, Chandler). Might we see him shipped for a handful of younger, less talented but potential-laden guys?

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2015, 07:45:55 AM »

You may be on to something. The Knicks are absolutely brutal this year, and I can't imagine Phil Jackson sitting around twiddling his thumbs, just hoping things get better.

Steve Kerr made the right career move when he snubbed NY for Golden State, that's for sure!
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 07, 2015, 03:04:18 AM »

Pistons beat San Antonio! A last second steal and layup gets the win. It may have been by 1 point, but a W is a W. The team really seems to be having fun playing, for once. I think that, more than anything, has contributed to this win streak (well, and getting rid of somebody who took like 40 percent of the shots).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 07, 2015, 05:38:15 AM »

I'm jealous. But that is awesome for you. It's so fun to watch a competitive team, and some wins? That's better yet. The turnaround is startling.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »

It is head scratching, for sure. I think it is proof, though, that Josh Smith wasn't just a problem on the basketball court.

I don't know if you watch Pardon The Interruption, with Kornheiser and Wilbon; it's about the only thing I watch on ESPN anymore, and I don't like it as much as I used to. At any rate, Wilbon knows a lot of NBA guys, and when Smith got let go, they were discussing it. Wilbon made mention of the fact that he was told by more than one NBA 'superstar' that they wouldn't want Josh Smith on their team, and that it was the general feeling of guys around the league.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 07, 2015, 06:09:33 PM »

It is head scratching, for sure. I think it is proof, though, that Josh Smith wasn't just a problem on the basketball court.
You could say the exact opposite. You could say that in pure basketball terms, Smith was a problem. He shot in the 30s from the floor as a 6-9 or 6-10 combo forward and he was one of the most prolific shooters on the team. That is a purely on-court problem, and it was a real one. Often, I think chemistry problems are more on-court than off-court, and we just want to make the problems somehow translate into bad people.

That said, pure speculation. I have no idea. He may be the biggest asshole there is. But really, off the court, what evidence of that do we have? The issues seem like they can be contained to the court, if you ask me.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:38 AM »

Besides the fact that Pistons beat writers occasionally mentioned his 'dour locker room presence', I guess we have no 'real' evidence.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. The guy is mucking up Houston now. As for the motor-city madmen, they had a stretch of 3 tough games-San Antonio, Dallas, and Atlanta. The SA game was a buzzer beater; last night, they beat Dallas quite 'comfortably', I suppose you could say. Monroe had 27 pts, 18 boards, 6 assists.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »

Besides the fact that Pistons beat writers occasionally mentioned his 'dour locker room presence', I guess we have no 'real' evidence.

At any rate, it doesn't matter. The guy is mucking up Houston now. As for the motor-city madmen, they had a stretch of 3 tough games-San Antonio, Dallas, and Atlanta. The SA game was a buzzer beater; last night, they beat Dallas quite 'comfortably', I suppose you could say. Monroe had 27 pts, 18 boards, 6 assists.

On topic, this afternoon I had an NBA podcast on--ESPN's NBA Lockdown--and they discussed Josh Smith. One of the reporters (I forget her name) said she knows Smith and that he's actually a really nice guy, but that he also plays up or down to his situation. The better the team, the better he plays, and vice versa. The more you expect, the more you get. Thought I'd pass that along as it relates to our conversation.

That said, a couple people (I think Jeff Goodman was one) also called him a low-IQ player. And whatever the one who likes him said, fact is he was something of a chucker in Atlanta, too, even in the good years. That doesn't refute the "good guy" assertion, but it definitely does refute the "plays up to or down to the situation" one.

Oddly, I am almost interested in tonight's TNT game, Houston v NY. I get to see Smith in that situation for myself (as well as some Rockets I enjoy watching, like the Greek rookie, Patrick Beverly, Donatas Motiejunas, and my dearly departed Corey Brewer!) and I get to see the train wreck that is the Knicks. On that team, it's all about watching Minnesota native Cole Aldrich, who has been playing pretty well lately.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »

Knicks starters: Pablo Prigioni, Jose Calderon, Tim Hardaway Jr., Jason Smith, and Cole Aldrich. First two off the bench, Quincy Acy and Travis Wear.

Um.....ahahaha ha!!!!!!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

Wolves, after a week or two of speculation on the subject, signed Serbian center Miroslav Raduljica. He had been with Milwaukee and I think LAC in previous seasons, but I got to see him with his national team at the Worlds last summer.

Not a major signing, obviously, but it helps. He's like a 2nd rate Pekovic, big (7 foot) and strong with a really good post game. Just knows how to play post basketball on both ends. We had been using 6-9 Jeff Adrien, whom we waived to make room, at backup center. Adrien was energetic, but undersized and not that skilled.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 09, 2015, 01:52:29 AM »

Another couple of weeks, and then everybody will be back though, right?

It will take a bit for everyone to get used to playing with each other; that said, it's better to watch a team lose playing the 'right' way, then to see them play like sh*t and lose. I have a feeling when Minnesota's got everyone back, they'll play the 'right' way a lot more than they do now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 09, 2015, 09:50:41 AM »

Definitely. The guys who are out now will have a huge impact. The team wouldn't have been a playoff contender regardless, but I do believe it could have been something approaching .500 on the season with great health and good luck. Maybe, say, a 35 win team (instead of being on pace for 15 or whatever).

That said, I want to be clear that I don't think we seem to have selfish guys on the team, or anything like that. Their inability to "play the right way" is mostly just inexperience and/or lack of talent.

The biggest exception in my mind, from my perspective, is Thaddeus Young. Again, seems like a great person by all accounts, but his game is befuddling at this point. He is extremely athletic, he has great size and length, and he has all the individual skills and traits (shooting, ball handling, passing, etc). But for some reason, he's maddeningly inconsistent in both style and results. He might be aggressive, he might be passive. He might crash the boards, but more often not. He can dribble, but takes that to mean he should grab defensive boards and lead the break, ending up with a terrible pass to someone badly spaced for a turnover. He could in theory be a great defender, but he's far, far worse than Kevin Love was in that regard.

I really can't explain it. Maybe he should have gone to school longer. Maybe the constant changes in systems and coaches in Philly hurt. Maybe--and I am not saying this is true, just one of many theoretical possibilities--he isn't capable of absorbing and acting on the information he's given via coaches. Whatever the reason or reasons, this prototypical NBA player seems to produce decent-to-good stats without playing good basketball. It's remarkable. I never really noticed it before this year, as I'd only seen him intermittently, a game here and a game there. Watching him daily drives me nuts. I hope he opts out of his deal after this year, as he can, and we try to figure out a new solution.

Unfortunately, that actually reminds me of the second-most frustrating guy, Anthony Bennett, our other PF! He is younger so hopefully it still can sink in. But his issue is, he loves the jumpshot, especially from 15-19 feet. And he's a good shooter, or at least a streaky one. The thing is, he uses that shot as his first, second, third option, very rarely even driving. He sets a pick and it's pick and pop, rarely roll. He almost never seems to post up. And worse, when his jumper isn't falling, his whole game suffers: rebounding, defense, everything. It's not uncommon for younger guys' offense to dictate their effort and defense, but you have to get over that.

Anyway, Rubio, Martin, and Pekovic would help a TON.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »

Many basketball players have a strange mindset. No matter what they hear from coaches, or what the stats say, they're going to do what they want.

Take the whipping boy of late, Josh Smith. Last year, he said (and I had to look this up to make 100 percent sure what he said, because it was so ridiculous): “I just play basketball, I’m a basketball player. People try to throw statistics in there. I’m not one to look at where I am on the court (when I shoot). I’m confident in each and every play I make. I don’t think about it. I just play and play with confidence.”

I mean, really? He isn't the only one, though. There are plenty of guys who think that they're, say, a scorer, when they shoot 30 percent from the field and 15 percent from behind the arc, and everybody else knows that they're anything BUT a scorer. The league is full of guys like that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »

Great point. And in a weird one, a natural belief from the players. Part of becoming good enough to make the pros (or college, for that matter) is confidence in your ability. It matters A LOT that you are confident in your game. I won't pretend to make accurate scientific stats, but I would guess that a player who is a 6 out of 10 can play at an 8 out of 10 level based on confidence, and vice versa. Think about the dramatic fall of former NBA swingman Nick Anderson, who had a really nice career. He missed some key free throws in a playoff game and literally was never the same player. It wasn't injuries, it was mindset. Darko Milicic, I still believe, was an NBA All-Star hampered by the psyche of an adolescent. (Marko Jaric was along the same lines, but not quite so physically gifted as Milicic.) Confidence matters A LOT.

The result of this confidence is an unnatural belief in oneself. You would never believe the percentages of college--AND HIGH SCHOOL--players who honestly believe they'll be NBA players. I have known high school kids who didn't start for their mediocre high school programs but honestly believed they would end up in the NBA. You're a 6'1" power forward who averages 4.5 ppg...you're not making the NBA. But the reality is, kids think it. And if they think it, what do you think the kids who actually DO have the talent think?

Usually, they are absurdly confident in themselves. And that leads to delusion.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

Yep, Anderson missed those free throws in the Finals against Houston. Game 1, I believe.

And, these guys have been surrounded by people who have done nothing but tell them how great they are, probably since they've been about 14 years old. Good luck getting through to somebody like that.

I remember many years ago, an analyst made a comment that really was spot on; he said that even the last guy off of the bench on an NBA team was the best player on his high school team. The league is all guys who at some point in their lives were more than likely the best player on their team. It's gotta be hard to come down from that high, and realize your weaknesses.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »

And, these guys have been surrounded by people who have done nothing but tell them how great they are, probably since they've been about 14 years old. Good luck getting through to somebody like that.

True. But it isn't even all bad. Again, that confidence works as a benefit to get you to where you are if you're that player. It isn't just the hangers-on trying to get something from you once you're rich. It's the thing that helps put you over the top to get you that good. You learn to trust yourself, your confidence. Not easy to turn off.

I remember many years ago, an analyst made a comment that really was spot on; he said that even the last guy off of the bench on an NBA team was the best player on his high school team. The league is all guys who at some point in their lives were more than likely the best player on their team. It's gotta be hard to come down from that high, and realize your weaknesses.

Very, very true. Simple math. The NBA has 390-450 players at any given time. Let's just say 450 for convenience of discussion. It is very safe to say they aren't the BEST 450 players in the world: there is always wiggle room on that based on players deciding to be a leading man overseas rather than a 15th man in the NBA; players from overseas preferring to stay where they are comfortable and maybe even making more money rather than coming over; guys making it over others on teams based on relationships with coaches or front office; and even just the numbers game of who needs what when and where. But let's be generous say there are 650 guys at any given time who are good enough to be NBA players.

There are 350 or so D1 college basketball programs, each of which can have 12 scholarship players. That's 4,200 players who were given college basketball scholarships competing for one of those precious spots, not including the thousands of players overseas also competing for those same spots.

But even those, say, 10,000 guys either playing D1 or pro ball overseas already "made the cut" by getting out of their high school or junior programs to earn that spot. It's an infinitesimal percentage of players who actually makes the NBA (or even that top 650 number that says you're in the mix for an NBA spot). What that means is, those guys were almost always not just the best player on their teams, but on the court at any given time. Better than anyone on either team every time out. In high school, they were the best players in their conferences. In their states.

Look at the McDonalds All America rosters over time. That's the best 20-24 players each year. Sure, the best NBA players were pretty much all in that game ... but the converse is not true. Players in those games pretty regularly do NOT make it to the NBA. Many aren't even college stars. Statistically speaking, nobody makes it. Nobody.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2015, 02:38:50 PM »

Quick non-NBA whining: the Gophers are 0-4 in the Big Ten, and this in a year when many media outlets were saying they may rise to be a second-tier conference program (i.e., upper third of the league, NCAA Tourney team). But we've seen one (redshirted) player booted from the program for some unreported conduct, a key rotation wing player suspended indefinitely after being arrested for beating up his girlfriend, and a promising freshman transfer out after only a handful of games. Making matters worse, our assumed scoring leader, senior guard Andre Hollins, has been terrible in conference play, shooting somewhere around 30% or less.

It's not a good year to be a Minnesota sports fan. The Gopher football team improved, but other than that, man, it hurts.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »

OK, it's the NBA, so we can't wallow in last night's loss: another game tonight.

And it's San Antonio. Damnit. Oh well, miracles happen. Fingers crossed. Maybe they'll sit everyone.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2015, 02:14:03 AM »

OK, it's the NBA, so we can't wallow in last night's loss: another game tonight.

And it's San Antonio. Damnit. Oh well, miracles happen. Fingers crossed. Maybe they'll sit everyone.

It could happen! You know how Popovich like to sit his guys every few games, and to be honest, a game against Minnesota isn't that big of a deal.

I thought that Minnesota was going to take a big jump this year. After coming off of the success they had last year winning the NIT, they seemed to be a team on the rise. They still may get it together, Walker may be the best center in the Big Ten not named Kaminsky. Pitino has shown that he can coach, and Hollins will 'probably' get it together. You're right though, Minnesota hasn't had a very good year, sports wise. After Adrian Peterson, it all went downhill!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2015, 05:26:30 AM »

The Spurs were without Kawhi Leonard, Manu Ginobili, and Marco Belinelli. They still lept out to and then nursed a roughly 15-point lead the whole game long. Austin Daye--largely "guarded" by Thad Young--had a season-high 23 or so points, and those small, quick guards of theirs (Parker, Patty Mills, Cory Joseph) had their way wit Mo Williams and Zach LaVine.

What was really obvious about the Wolves was how bad their help defense is. Daye had a move where he got past his guy just behind the 3-pt line anfd made a straight-line drive to the rim. Two defenders were somewhat nearby, one on each side of the lane near the low block, and neither even took a step toward him to stop him, or even put up a hand. That is the biggest challenge: just terrible defense. I am guessing the issue isn't lack of effort so much as it is uncertainty over assignments. Help defense (and help for helper) is schemed. If both guys think the other guy is getting it...

Anyway, it was a good game from Wiggins and Dieng, and a decent offensive game from LaVine. And Martin is apparently FINALLY getting closer, which gives us a 20 ppg guy who is dangerous from 3. We need it so badly...

As for the Gophers, I don't know if it's the losses of personnel, bad chemistry, or just overrated talent. But it hasn't been pretty. They've been in games, more or less, but just can't win.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: