-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164257 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2014, 04:23:33 PM »

THe OKC starting five opening night per TNT will be Westbrook, ANDRE ROBERSON, PERRY JONES, Ibaka, and Steven Adams. Yowsers.

Dallas v San Antonio is on tnt with Orlando v New Orleans on NBA tv. I'll focus on the latter, but let me be clear, I'm so psyched! I really love basketball. (Maybe you didn't notice.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »

Kemba Walker just f***ed the Wolves by signing a 4-year, $48 mil extension. Rubio was reportedly close to 4/$52, but this sounds like a monkey wrench. All due respect to Kemba and his scoring prowess, but he's no rubio.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:32 AM »

I feel bad for Julius Randle. 14 minutes into his NBA debut, and he breaks his leg. As if the Lakers weren't already going to be bad enough.

I admit, I picked the Spurs because I've been picking against them for a few years now, and I decided that I wouldn't do it again. I don't see OKC going to the Finals, and I'm not a Clippers fan. Nothing against them personally (actually, I'm not a Griffin fan. Not because of his play, but because...I don't know why. I just don't like him. Does that make sense?). So Spurs. Or Mavs. I'd like to see Dirk get another one.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2014, 05:39:18 AM »

I'm not at all a Clippers fan. Some of the least likable players in the league!

I didn't watch the late game and hadn't heard about Randle. That's horrible for him and the team.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »

Wolves v Pistons tomorrow night!? What's up, Verlander...

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:55 AM »

Battle of the best! The best of the bottom feeding teams, that is.

I have no idea how the game went last night, as I had a touch of stomach flu and went to bed pretty early. Looking at the roundup this morning, some things stick out: Jennings with only four points in 20 minutes, and didn't take many shots; Drummond fouled out with about 3 minutes left in the game; Smith made almost half of his shots and ended up with 25 points, 5 boards and 3 assists, although he took two 3's, one of them very early in the shot clock (Surprise!), and DJ Augustin had 15 points, 6 assists. Not bad for his debut.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »

The wolves--who played without possible leading scorer Kevin Martin--were predictably up and down against a good Memphis team. Post defense was an expected problem, and after 57 or something points from Gasol and Randolph, I'd say that hypothesis held up to the experiment.

But Muhammad had a nice game off the bench, Mo Williams was 10x better than Barea, and Wiggins had his moments. It'll be interesting.

And SJS, I caught some of Philly too. Ouch. But...LEXEY!! 18 and 5 or something.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »

I watched the 76ers/Pacers game. Indiana didn't play well; a lot of turnovers and sloppy passes. The 76ers were actually up by 10 pints in the first half. Hibbert played very well; he appeared motivated. The 76ers had no answers for him.

Nerlens Noel played a lot of minutes. Again, he was athletic enough; he was active and blocked some shots and hustled on defense. But, he has NO offense game. He makes awkward drives and takes off-balance shots. Also, he also can't make free throws. I like his attitude and he plays hard but he doesn't look like a No. 1 -5 overall pick...yet. The 76ers played hard the whole game, but they have no offense, no "snipers". Most of their points are on fast breaks or follow ups around the basket. Alexey Shved! He almost single handedly kept the 76ers in the game. He made some nice outside shots which will probably get him more minutes; his shooting is needed. He also distributes the ball well. He was struggling on defense, had 4-5 fouls in about a quarter.

Michael Carter Williams is due back in about a week to 10 days. And, they showed some footage of Paul George at a recent practice, shooting around! George was on the bench. He wants to come back this year. I hope not...
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »

Jennings was surprised that he only played for half of the game- "first time it's ever happened in my career", he said today-and already people are talking about a PG controversy. I wouldn't go that far, although I would say that hopefully Van Gundy is gonna be the type of coach who isn't worried about sitting someone down when they stink it up, or when they do the exact opposite of what he tells them to do.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »

I'd read and heard before the season began that Van Gundy might give Jennings a short leash, and that was why Augustin was brought in.

Jennings is either lying or forgetful, though. Check his stas with Lottomatica Roma between HS and the NBA. 19 mpg, alongside/behind Allan Ray, Sani Becirovic, Ibrahim Jaaber, etc.

Also fun fact: his current Pistons teammate Luigi Datome was on that Rome team. Small world.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:39:48 AM by the captain » Logged

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »

Then I get this update on my phone literally 15 minutes ago, from Team Stream: 'Kenneth Faried credits Nuggets' win over Pistons to Josh Smith's FG attempts: "He shot them out of the game".

Aye.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

That's the magic I hope for tonight! Bombs away from him and Jennings...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »

OK, so here are some things I think will be most interesting in tonight's Detroit v Minnesota game. (And yes, I know this game is interesting to nobody but Wolves and Pistons fans ... but this thread comprises approx. 66.7% Wolves and Pistons fans.)

Point Guards! Remember draft night 2009? The #5 pick, the polarizing but uber-sexy Spaniard, Ricky Rubio. Arguably the best (and certainly one of the best) point guards from the 2008 high school class, the California-to-Oak Hill phenom who went pro rather than to college, Brandon Jennings? #10. Behind two true PGs (Rubio and fellow Wolves draftee Jonny Flynn) and two combo guards (Tyreke Evans and Steph Curry). You might remember that Jennings was furious. Most of his rage was aimed at the guy he played against in Europe, Rubio. He said Rubio is overrated. (He also talked sh*t about the guy ahead of him on that Milwaukee depth chart, consummate pro Luke Ridnour.) I don't know if Rubio has grievances against Jennings, but the reverse is true. Plus these guys are polar opposites on the court. Jennings has been a loser who gets numbers. He aggravates coaches and teammates, looks to score despite horrible shooting numbers, and has that old Stephon Marbury style of passing only when he's going to get an assist. Rubio is a winner (yes, yes, I know he's on an awful team) who doesn't really get the great stats. He is flashy, yes, but it's good flash. Teammates love him. He loves them, cheering heartily even when he was benched in 4th quarters for Barea last year. He defends. He runs the sets. He's aggressive defensively. I just love him. Anyway, this is a fun matchup.

Shooting Guards! Obviously the Wolves have a lot invested in Andrew Wiggins, and I do expect a better game than last night's mediocre, foul-plagued debut. (Not that I expect him to consistently perform well this season. Just better than last night.) But I really expect great things from Kentavious Caldwell Pope, and he really struggled from the floor on opening night. I expect him to REALLY come out strong, but he is facing a great defender in Wiggins. These are two really good, young prospects and both are solid basketball players. Not overly showy, no bad attitudes. KCP was actually widely considered to be Flip's #1 priority in the 2012 draft; his selection by Detroit caused us to trade out and get the Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng picks.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2014, 04:15:50 PM »

Cleveland is insane. Pregame concert by Kendrick Lamarr, are you kidding?

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »

Cleveland is insane. Pregame concert by Kendrick Lamarr, are you kidding?

ESPN had a one and a half hour pre-game show! Many of the Cleveland businesses (other than the restaurants, bars, and hotels) were either closed or not doing much work today because workers either called off or were goofing off!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »

Is the king on a throne in the arena?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »

It's going to be hard for me not to focus on Cleveland: a Lebron's debut, Loves debut, I'm a huge Blatt fan (remember, I geek out over international ball maybe most of all, so I'm very familiar)... But y'know, wolves v Pistons, that's serious playoff implications! (Right? Right?)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »

Its opening day of basketball! Grin

Hope springs eternal.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »

Sadly I have too many years as a wolves fan to be that optimistic. I love them forever, and like the direction, but I'm guessing 32-36 wins. In the west? That's 13-15th. Oh well, next year...Huh

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »

It will be interesting to see the wolves without the Kevin Love ego-trip. Will Rubio turn into the next Pistol Pete maravich? Tongue

I got my Bulls as well!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »

Rubio/pistol? Never, because Pistol was a phenomenal shooter. Rubio's best possible outcome is passable, a trend line like Jason Kidd.

You're lucky: Chicago is the best or second best team in the east...and league?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »

Chicago vs. Cleveland for the east.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »

Jennings has shoved Rubio in the back twice in the first 3.5 minutes. Fucking punk. I'd hope Pek would punch him out except we need Pek. maybe Hummel will do it...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2014, 05:39:42 PM »

Sign Lattrell Sprewell to do it so he can feed his family.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2014, 06:37:13 PM »

After the Jennings T, may I add, FUCKING CLOWN.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: