-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164359 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »

6 assists in the first 7 baskets for B Jennings. Does he finally get it? If so, look out. He's always had talent.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »

6 assists in the first 7 baskets for B Jennings. Does he finally get it? If so, look out. He's always had talent.

I'd say...probably not.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »

Caught some of the 76ers vs. Hornets game tonight. The best player on the floor for the 76ers was....Alexey Shved! He was really setting up his teammates with some passes that had the crowd "oohing and ahhing". Based on just this one game, I can see him backing up Michael Carter-Williams and getting some significant minutes; I was trying to observe his defense, though; didn't see enough. Nerlens Noel looked good physically; he was keeping up with the speed of the game and he wasn't being pushed around; his offensive game/skills still needs a lot of work. Brett Brown is starting Noel at forward with Henry Sims at center. Speaking of centers, Joel Embiid has been sitting on the bench - in a suit - very frustrating; they haven't officially ruled him out for the season but I think it's still a long shot that he sees any action this year, like Noel of last year. Oh, and KJ McDaniels was making some impressive dunks! Interesting evening.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:09:04 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2014, 06:11:26 AM »

76ers @ Wolves tonight for a preseason clash between two of the worst teams in the league! But hey, it's of interest to SJS and me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2014, 04:23:28 AM »

The 'big deal' the last 2 days has been how Bosh and Wade have made 'surprising' comments about LeBron, with Wade talking about how last season 'wasn't fun', and Bosh saying that Kevin Love is going to have to change his game.

I don't get how any of this is really a big deal. Of course Love is going to have to change his game; he (like Bosh) is coming from a place where he was THE man. On the Cavs, he's probably 3rd in line, behind 'Bron and Irving. It was the same way with Bosh in Toronto.

And I thought everyone kind of knew that it wasn't very much fun in Miami; to be under that much scrutiny all of the time, and to have every word you say taken apart, to try and find secret meanings in all of it-the whole time that team was together was ridiculous, the amount of attention that it got.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2014, 06:21:17 AM »

Love will obviously have to change his game: agreed. But I think Love is the second-best player on the Cavs, not Irving. However, with Irving and James as the primary ball-handlers, he's going to be getting what he is given (or takes off the boards).

I had a great time watching the Wolves/Sixers last night. Anthony Bennett is transformed: slimmed down (but really strong...really strong--huge shoulders), active, energetic, and surprisingly smart on the court. I had no idea. He reminded me of pre-injury Larry Johnson. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's who he is or will become. But that was the kind of game he played last night.) And both rookie wings, Andrew Wiggins and Zach LaVine, are miraculously athletic. It was a lot of fun.

As for the 76ers, that might have been the least talented roster I've ever seen in an NBA game. Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid, Jerami Grant, and Hollis Thompson were all out with various injuries, and of course Dario Saric is in Turkey this year. When the likes of Henry Sims, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Brandon Davies aren't just on your roster--questionable enough!--but starting? Yikes. I know, it's preseason. But wow. I still think KJ McDaniels is a stud, though, and Casper Ware deserves that roster spot.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »

Larry Johnson...now that's a name I've not heard in a long, long time.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »

Most unjustly forgotten superstar in the semi-recent era.

Superstar? Yes. The tragic back injuries derailed what would have been a hall of fame career. "Grandmama" was a legendary college player whose game seamlessly translated to the pros. I remember the doubt about a 6-7 (ahem..,6-5 tops) PF making it, even in the prime of Charles Barkleys career. But pre-injury, he was explosive, intuitive. He scored, rebounded, passed.

That Charlotte team--him, Zo, Kendall Gill--could've been something.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »

He and Zo couldn't co-exist. That should've been a powerhouse team, much like the Nets team with Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson. Coleman's problem is that once he got that money, he lost interest.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »

That NJN team was one of the poster-children of what was wrong with the NBA from the latter day golden era (when Jordan had arrived and really begun winning, but Magic and Larry were still around, etc.), through that weak period of the mid 90s through the Lebron era. Derrick Coleman--whom I loved, basketball-wise, as I am a big Syracuse fan and he was fantastically talented and productive--famously gave coach Butch Beard a season's worth of fines for not following the team's dress code ahead of time. Hard not to take that as insubordination... Chris Morris and Benoit Benjamin were both famous malcontents. Morris's incidents included removing the tape from an injured hand during a game so he couldn't be put back in, practicing with his shoes untied, and writing "It's Time" and "To Say Goodbye" on his shoes during games his last year in NJ... Benjamin was among the most talented underachievers ever.

And yet Anderson was right on the edge of really high level play for a while there. Coleman was there, too. Drazen Petrovic's career really took off there before he unfortunately died, having become a legitimate all-star caliber player. You're definitely right, that team was a shame.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »

As for the 76ers, that might have been the least talented roster I've ever seen in an NBA game. Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid, Jerami Grant, and Hollis Thompson were all out with various injuries, and of course Dario Saric is in Turkey this year. When the likes of Henry Sims, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, and Brandon Davies aren't just on your roster--questionable enough!--but starting? Yikes. I know, it's preseason. But wow. I still think KJ McDaniels is a stud, though, and Casper Ware deserves that roster spot.

I scoured the TV channels including three Comcast affiliates and nobody was televising the game! I can't disagree with you regarding the talent level on the 76ers, which is why I keep using the word "interesting" in describing this upcoming year. Grin

"Patience" is a another word and I'm trying real hard. We'll see if I have any left by February!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »

As a wolves fan since their 89-90 inception, I feel uniquely qualified to comment on talentless rosters, too!

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2014, 03:01:23 AM »

For the three of us who participate in this subject;

I just received the NBA preview of SI in the mail. They have Detroit at 11 in the East, while Philadelphia comes in last. Minnesota comes in at 15.

Their prediction for the Finals is Spurs over Bulls, which kind of surprised me. I thought for sure they'd go with Cleveland in the Finals.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »

Wolves finished off their preseason with a win, a comeback over Chicago. JJ Barea had a big role in the 4th quarter comeback, leading to the local press to speculate he may end up on the final roster yet. (See, we have 16 guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts, and teams are allowed 15. Rookie wing Glenn Robinson III has the sole partially guaranteed deal--about $200k guaranteed--and is stuck behind a glut of wings (Wiggins, Brewer, Budinger, Martin, Muhammad, and Hummel), so he seems like an obvious cut. However, he is a Flip pick, he has great upside, and Mo Williams was brought in by Flip to play ahead of Barea (brought in pre-Flip) to back up Rubio. So the signs had been that Barea might be that odd man out.

He's got a Napoleon complex, so frankly I do hope we find a way to move Barea. He's got value ... I just don't care to see a 5'9" SG in a PG's body try to prove he's the best scorer on the floor when, even in the moments when it's true, that doesn't help a team win. You're not winning many games with Barea leading you in scoring.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »

As for predictions, I think a mostly healthy Wolves team could finish ahead of LAL and Utah in the West. And of course depending on what teams suffer what injuries, that could even change further.

The east is so tough to pick...except Philly. Worst team in the league. By far.

Detroit could be a playoff team, they could be among the worst teams. New coach, new system, several new players. We'll see. There is some legitimate talent.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »

Captain, what do you think about the recent news stories about NBA players avoiding signing with the lakers because of Kobe? I personally think Kobe's ego is a pain to deal with these days. He is still a good player but not the guy who put 81 points on the raptors anymore.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »

I think it's tough to lump individuals' situations into one storyline. Kobe is difficult, no doubt. And maybe some people--ahem, Dwight Howard--chose to leave or not join in the first place largely because of Kobe. But plenty of aspects of that story have already been publicly challenged as demonstrably inaccurate. Ramon Sessions was one guy they said left because of Kobe and he publicly said he actually was trying to sign a long-term deal there, and they didn't keep him. I think plenty of not-quite-max guys who would be offered long-term deals to live in LA and play for one of the two or three most storied franchises in the game would absolutely take it, even if it meant putting up with Kobe for another year or so.

To your final point, he is definitely not prime Kobe anymore. That's no knock on him, just the reality of the body. Jordan wasn't Jordan near the end, either. And trying to prove he was in Washington hurt that franchise. It would be best for the Lakers, and Kobe's dignity, if he would accept that he's a (very good, very smart, very skilled) complementary player now. But that's easy for me to say. I doubt Kobe's worried about what I think about his dignity.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »

I can't stand him, never really could. I tried to like him for a while, he just makes it impossible. I enjoyed watching him play, although I can't stand the Lakers either, so I would always hope that he did some hot stuff on the court, yet the Lakers would lose the game.

I used to love Shaq, too. Back years ago, right after Orlando joined the league, I loved them because they had Scott Skiles and Sam Vincent (Michigan State!) on the team. Back then, there was no internet to order things, so I would get upset that I could never find Orlando gear to wear. It was hard to like a team so terrible too, although Skiles had a record 30 assists in one game. I also love Shaq as a college player, he was unstoppable. So, it was beyond my wildest dreams that my favorite team would end up with a dominant player like him, who everyone knew was going to be the best center in the game within a couple of years.

Then, once he got in the league, it seemed that all he did was talk about how great he was. Once they got Penny Hardaway (trading away Chris Webber, University Of Michigan Bum, and possible nightmare scenario for myself) then his ego took over, and he wanted to play somewhere where he was going to be the Man. So he went to LA, where Karma sent him Kobe Bryant.  Once he started winning there, I really despised him, and his ego talk really seemed to take off, and he was like that pretty much for his entire career.

Everyone talks about how funny he is, and what a good guy he is, I just can't stand him. Long story over.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:54 AM »

Shaq gets on my nerves, too. As a player--especially in his college and early pro years--he was phenomenal. One of the few guys to whom I can think of no obvious predecessor or successor. Before he got bulky as he aged, he was absolutely unique in terms of combining size, speed, and strength. He was athletic like David Robinson in that he could run and jump, but he had so much power. Early Shaq was an absolute freak of nature. (Lebron is the other guy who I think of as almost entirely unique.)

Those early Orlando teams always mattered more than they should have to me because the Magic entered the league the same year as the Wolves, so it was like a measuring stick thing. The big difference early on was that the Wolves hired Bill Musselman, who wanted to win every game no matter what. So in Year 2, we squeaked 29 wins out of a really bad team, but it meant leaning on guys like Tony Campbell, Ty Corbin, and Sam Mitchell for absurd minutes and not developing younger guys. After that, Musselman was fired, reportedly for not playing then-rookie Gerald Glass. (Glass, a small forward out of Ole Miss, was undersized in terms of height and oversized in terms of belly and butt, a sort of Mark Aguirre style guy.) Glass was out of the league within a year or two (I know he spent some Pistons time, Verlander...on the bench.) and Muss went on to S. Alabama, whom he led to the tourney, I believe. Fabulous, if very quirky, coach. He passed away about 15 years ago.

Orlando then started its absurd lottery luck while we always picked lower than our record would suggest. Every stinking year. Shaq, Mourning ... Laettner. Chris Webber, Shawn Bradley (then considered can't-miss), Penny Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn ... JR Rider. Glenn Robinson, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill ... Donyell Marshall. It was only in 1995, when McHale and Saunders were in charge, that we gambled and won with the #5 pick, that "6-foot-12" scrawny high school center who became our Hall of Fame small forward, Kevin Garnett.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »

Not quite NBA yet, so I was excited to see a euroleague game on NBA tv today! (Beats the hell out of the Vikings...) Bayern Munich v Panathinaikos. The latter has one of my all-time favorite non-NBA point guards, Dimitris Diamantidis, who dismantled
The USA in the ... 06 Worlds? I think that was when.

Munich has a promising young point in Vasije Micic, who is considered a future NBA guy. Former NBA guys Julian Wright, Esteban Batista, and Antonis Fotsis are in the game, as well as a few other good players.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:47:30 AM by the captain » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »

Loving the Euroleague game! Munich's wing Nihad Dedovic reminds me of Alexey Shved, a rangy combo type who can really get moving. And Jiri "George" Zidek, of NCAA champion UCLA ('95) fame, is the color commentator.

Some other possibly recognizable names to some: Iowa State's Lucca Staiger, Maryland's James Gist, Western Kentucky's AJ Slaughter, Penn State's Jan Jagla, and Santa Clara's John Bryant.

As for that Vikes-Bucs game, an exciting 3-0 at half...

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

I had a passing interest in the Timberwolves before they even played a game, because the Pistons broke my soul when they had to let Mahorn go in the expansion draft. I still remember the headline in the Detroit Free Press: 'From Bad To Sad: Mahorn gone in draft'. To this day it pisses me off. I even remember that back in the day, they had T-shirts with players on them, like cartoon characters with cute sayings  (mine was Laimbeer: Chairman Of The Boards'). I can't remember what his said, but there was one that had Mahorn in a Timberwolves uniform. That's a collectors item, considering he didn't play a second there.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »

True. We ended up dealing him to Philly for Scotty Brooks. In our first meeting with Mahorn as a 76er, he fouled out of the game. I can still hear then-Wolves announcer Kevin Harlan's voice gleefully yelling, "Rick Mahorn, get your big butt out of here!"

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Ok, so here's my prediction (too early? Yep. This is for fun. Or just for me to be able to come back someday and say 'See, I told you so!').

IF Derrick Rose is healthy, the Bulls will make it to the finals, and lose in 5 games to the Spurs.
IF Derrick Rose isn't healthy, Cleveland will make it to the finals, and lose in 7 games to the Spurs.

Either way, I just realized; I don't think that Derrick Rose will ever get a ring, unless he goes somewhere else later on in his career. I think this is his only year. After this year, Cleveland takes the East (and maybe the League) over. There's way too much talent, and LeBron knows how to win now; the only question mark is how the other 2 of the New Big Three will handle the pressure. They'll go deep this year, and next year is the beginning of a dynasty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »

The fruitless, pointless art of predictions! Yes!!

I'll say this, partly to stir it up but partly because I believe it.

The Eastern conference champion will win the title by beating someone other than San Antonio. WHOAAAA, heresy! Let me explain.

Being burned on the "Spurs are too old" argument doesn't mean it won't inevitably become true (as long as their core features their aging stars). That has been, for the past two or three years, the common refrain: I picked [anyone else] because I figured San Antonio were too old this year. I'm not making that mistake again." But the thing is, Duncan IS still getting older. So are Ginobilli and Parker (and Diaw). Yes, Leonard seems like a star on the rise, but he is also in a contract dispute, where he apparently wants max. (Maxes are not a part of San Antonio's philosophy...) And the vaunted depth is great to get wins through the regular season when nobody cares, or to flesh things out around the stars in the playoffs. But what if those stars aren't stars anymore in the playoffs? I don't mean what if Parker plays badly, or Ginobilli, or Duncan, or Diaw. I mean several of them at once. Even all? At some point, it happens. Realistically that might not be this year: they might win it all yet again. They play beautiful basketball. I'm almost hoping for them to win. But honestly this might be the year I pick against them.

You might say "ok, what about the rest of the West," i'd say that while the rest of the Western conference is good top to bottom, I think they fall below those two best Eastern teams. OKC lacks Durant for a good chunk of the season, which hurts their seeding (most likely). Westbrook might struggle to rescind control once KD returns. Their center spot is still a joke if Perkins gets substantial minutes. Their off-guard spot is weak/shallow. Despite a reputation as great drafters, they just don't have much depth. Guys like Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Grant Jerrett, Mitch McGary ... we'll see. Reggie Jackson has improved, but he's still so similar to Westbrook, it's a challenge to have them out there together.

Chicago and Cleveland, the two best Eastern conference teams are--potentially--really good. Like even if San Antonio holds it together, either of these teams could realistically win the title. If Derrick Rose is healthy and 80% of his former self, they are a Finals-caliber team. Their offensive shortcomings are dramatically reduced even just by Gasol, Mirotic, Aaron Brooks, and McDermott. You've got continued improvement from Butler, Gibson, and Snell. And obviously Rose and Noah are just perfect for Thibs these days. Chicago is potentially a great team, dominant defensively and pretty good offensively. Cleveland, assuming they can protect the rim, could be astounding. I would worry about Irving, Waiters, and Love in the attitude department, but with Lebron there, the fact is that it will not matter (because he won't let it). Lebron has the power to either convert them (most likely) or get them shipped out. He just won't accept pouting at any serious level. Their issue is Love is not long and is floorbound, and they have nothing in the middle to complement him.

So more specifically who wins it?

Healthy Derrick Rose: Chicago over Clippers in 5 games.
Injured Derrick Rose: Cleveland over Clippers in 7 games.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: