-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:14:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164307 times)
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:02 AM »

The Nike thing wasn't his choice: they had the right to match any offer. (Kind of an endorsement-deal version of restricted free agency.)

Obviously, I missed that along the way! I don't usually pay attention to who signs where, and for how much; this had just got my attention because it fit into my 'Durant To DC' theory.
Honestly, I hate the whole shoe deal thing, anyway. The amount of money paid out is beyond obscene. I always say, these guys talk about 'helping the community' and whatever; how about asking Nike to sell a 15 dollar pair of shoes? I remember when Stephen Marbury signed a deal with someone (I think it was And1), to sell a 20 dollar pair of kicks. I mean, they weren't in high demand (because they weren't Nike or Adidas), but at least the guy made an effort (probably one of the only unselfish things he ever did).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »

The amount of money in and around sports definitely seems obscene. And the players frankly are the least problematic part: the owners and sponsor bring in far more, or they wouldn't pay so much out. In the end it nearly all boils down to our eyes to advertisers. And it says a lot about who we are that we put that much $ into games but cry when confronted with potential costs for social good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »

The amount of money in and around sports definitely seems obscene. And the players frankly are the least problematic part: the owners and sponsor bring in far more, or they wouldn't pay so much out. In the end it nearly all boils down to our eyes to advertisers. And it says a lot about who we are that we put that much $ into games but cry when confronted with potential costs for social good.

You aren't kidding! I cry every year about how much things go up at college football games, and yet every year I keep buying season tickets. So who's really the idiots here-the Universities for raising prices and expecting fans to pay 5 bucks for a 20 oz. pop? Or is it people like me, who continue to fork out the dough?

I use to get upset about the amount of money these guys made, and then one time I was listening to Jim Rome, of all people (not a fan); he said 'look, these huge contracts don't bother me, because the people paying them are millionaires who treat these teams like toys, and nobody is forcing them to pay these guys anything'. And he's pretty much right.

I guess I look at it like, when is enough, enough? Did Kobe really need that 2 year, however-million dollar contract? Why not take the absolute minimum, and have a better team?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »

Been neglecting the topic for a while. I'm sure everyone has felt the absence in their lives...

Spain losing early in the elimination round was a surprise in the World Cup, though it gave us the fun of watching France and Serbia. (I, a longtime fan of former-Yugoslavian ball, enjoyed the latter.) And the US won. Whoopee.

NBA-wise, the news is that the Wolves have offered the Suns' restricted free agent PG Eric Bledsoe the full max (4 years, $63 million) deal he wants. To which I respond ... uh, what? First, the Wolves are over the cap, so technically speaking, they most certainly have not--because they cannot--offered any such thing. It would have to be a sign-and-trade.  But second, one must consider what the Wolves would be thinking in any such thing, and whether the Suns would be interested.

The Wolves are reportedly balking at Ricky Rubio's agents asking a similar max deal. So is Bledsoe (who can't stay healthy) a better option? Further, can one keep both, or would it mean the end of Rubio in Minnesota? Would the Suns want Rubio, in that they have Goran Dragic, newly signed Isaiah Thomas, and newly drafted Tyler Ennis, especially considering he's in the same RFA boat next year? If the Wolves kept both, what's the trade bait? Pekovic? Thad Young + trade exception? Some combo of Brewer/Budinger/Bennett?  Not Kevin Martin!?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »

I noticed that there hasn't been anything going on here, although I chalked it up to just being the boring part of the off-season. I figured that talk would heat up here shortly as training camp and pre-season starts rolling.

In other news:  Greg Monroe got arrested for DUI, and pissed on himself while getting booked in.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »

And in the "you can't make this stuff up" category, the great Darko Milicic has decided to become a kick boxer.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

People always bring Darko up as the big snafu of Dumars' tenure as GM. I don't blame him for that, though. Just about every GM at the time, if they had that pick, would've taken him. His stock was through the roof.

Off topic here, but because you're a Minnesota guy, Captain-what's the consensus among Viking fans regarding Peterson? I know that there's laws that have to be followed, and investigations have to take place, but I'd cut him as fast as I could. I cannot tolerate people who beat kids. Especially ones that are barely out of their toddler years.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »

Regarding Darko:
We had him here in Minnesota for a while as well, and contrary to popular opinion, I actually think that was a good move by then-GM David Kahn. He was here for about $5 million a year, which realistically is backup center money. Darko produced sufficient stats to earn that money. And you know what? While he was here I saw--often--exactly why Dumars picked him, Chad Ford worshipped him, and so many other scouts and GMs loved him. His overall production is nothing remotely like what his talent suggests it should have been. While he was here, I saw a 7-1 guy with relatively quick feet, with an understanding of the game, and with a real skill set. He would hedge on pick-and-roll defense like no center we've ever had here. He also got great position and was a very clever passer.

His shortcomings? Confidence, first and foremost. If he was into a game, he was into it. If not, not. In that respect, he reminded me of his fellow Serb and fellow former Wolf Marko Jaric. Both were guys who produced more when it seemed the team loved and needed them. Both produced better when put in situations where they had to. (Darko was great on the Serbian national team as a focal point; Jaric won European championships as a point guard.) And he was injury prone. It wasn't clear whether he was truly injured, or just soft. But teammates--Kevin Love most of all--clearly resented him. And for a 7-1 guy, he had a tendency to little tricky flip shots around the hoop when you'd want him to just dunk the fucking thing. Those little flips would often miss, beginning a downward spiral of confidence.

Regarding Peterson:
The opinions here seem surprisingly consistent: disapproval. I know nationwide there are a lot of people supporting him, and supporting that kind of physical discipline, but I think in this semi-liberal, northern state, even though a certain amount of spanking is common, very, very few people approve of anything resembling what he has flat-out admitted to doing. It's not that he spanked a kid: he shoved leaves into a 4-year-old's mouth, whipped him with a branch until he scarred the kid's body, and threatened to punch him in the face if he told anyone. That is not a spanking (which reasonable people can presumably disagree about); it is OBVIOUSLY child abuse. I am tired of Peterson being described as a "good, Christian man" again and again. The guy has 6 kids by 6 women; he has been arrested for violence in a strip club; he has this issue; etc. At a certain point, your media-friendliness and articulate, personable nature can't overrule the facts.

I love watching an explosive running back more than anything else in football. My favorite memories are old Notre Dame teams when Rocket Ismail would be placed in the backfield, or Ricky Watters, or Reggie Brooks and Jerome Bettis; or of old Vikings like Herschel Walker, Robert Smith, Michael Bennett. That's my favorite part of football. So I've loved--LOVED--watching Adrian Peterson. But he should be cut and probably be sent to jail. And the Vikings waffling and obviously corporate-dollar driven "come to jesus" moment is pathetic. I felt dirty watching them at all last week, having debated just giving up on the pros and focusing on the Gophers. (Who completed one pass last week in a victory. Go team!)

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 24, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »

Yeah, he's a scum bag. And more than likely, Jerry Jones will probably sign him if the Vikings cut him; there was a report out (from an ESPN story, that I read) where Peterson called Jones and talked about how he'd love to play for him someday.
I wish that for once, they'd send a message in this league, and not sign him once he's cut. Every team preaches the same old PC bullshit, but it's all about the money, and it makes me sick. And yet I still watch.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 24, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »

I just read something that's actually a neat idea; apparently, Mark Cuban had a contest where the fans could submit ideas for alternate jerseys, and the winner would have his design put on actual jerseys that they'll wear this year. I saw a picture of them, and they actually aren't that bad. They remind me of those old nugget uniforms from the 80's, except with the Mavs colors.

I actually lilke those Nuggets jerseys. They remind me of 80's video games. A nice Alex English throwback?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »

I'd get me a Fat Lever one!

Regarding the Minnesotans' reaction to Peterson, I may have spoken too soon. This morning I made the huge mistake of reading the comments of a story on the team--the one cesspool of stupidity worse than message boards--and was surprised by how many morons were calling for his immediate reinstatement, blaming the media for making too big a deal about it, and basically writing like the cavemen they are (all with bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation, I should add).

Truly, the only surprising thing is that I was surprised. I should expect less of people. Especially online.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »

I've always said, just when I think that maybe humanity isn't so bad, I'll read Facebook comments on a news story, and realize that there are a lot of ignorant people in the world-sometimes, it really is unbelievable how stupid people are.

Pistons signed Hasheem Thabeet to a non-guaranteed contract, which means (of course you know) that he's only on the training camp roster. I can't really see him cracking the rotation unless someone gets hurt. Hard to believe that he was the #2 overall pick.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »

#2 is a cursed pick:

2012 - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Not bad at all, but certainly not producing at the level expected. No offense to speak of.
2011 - Derrick Williams. This one feels personal. (Highest Wolves-drafted player ever. Ouch. Usually we mess up in the 4-7 range...)
2010 - Evan Turner. Some good stats on Philly, but that was Philly, who makes the Wolves look talented. I liked him in college, but he's not cutting it.
2009 - Hasheem Thabeet.
2008 - Michael Beasley. Another former Wolf, people! When his GM was fined for discussing his private info (weed violation), he came to the guy's defense, admitting his habit. Ah, Mike.
2005 - Marvin Williams. Not a bust, but #2? Ahead of Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Danny Granger, David Lee, etc.? (This draft did suck though.)
2003 - DARKO!
2002 - Jay Williams. Unfortunate circumstances, but he didn't produce.
2000 - Stromile Swift. STRO! (Uber-athlete. Not good at basketball. AKA a typical LSU player.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »

Eric Bledsoe signed a big-money deal with Phoenix, ending the soap opera (and confusion on the Wolves front): something like 5 years, $70 million. Yowsers. Quite a lot for a guy with exactly one season averaging over 10 ppg. (Though his talent is obvious.) It leaves a shockingly crowded backcourt, with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Isaiah Thomas, Archie Goodwin, Tyler Ennis, and most likely Zoran Dragic. That's not even counting the likes of Gerald Green or PJ Tucker, both wings. I know the coach is an ex-guard, but even so, wow. Something has to give. That's my opinion. Someone is being shopped. Nobody will be happy in this situation.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »

Mr. Verlander, I'm thinking you're more Mich. St. than Michigan, but just in case ... IN YOUR FACE. Gophers over Wolverines in Ann Arbor? Wow. A week after looking like a good running team with no passing game to speak of, and thus an easy team to stop in the Big Ten, the return of QB Mitch Leidner (and a confident and relatively accurate version of him at that) really not only complemented the brilliance of RB David Cobb, but added a spark. And that defense really did a job on the more talented Michigan crew. Poor Shane Morris.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »

And, in a blockbuster deal, the Philadelphia 76ers acquired Keith Bogans and a 2018 - yes, 2018 - 2nd round pick from the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for the 76ers 2015 second round projected pick. Bogans is 34, was literally sent home last year by Danny Ainge, sent to a rebuilding team? I'm scratching my head over this one.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »

Asset collection. they get a pick for taking Bogans. (The outbound pick is protected--I'd bet HEAVILY--and only included because trade rules require you send something, at least on paper. I'm thinking Bogans's deal isn't guaranteed but even if it is, unless I'm mistaken Philly is still below the salary floor.

But you're right that they have no interest in him as a player.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »

Per Minneapolis Star Tribune Wolves beat writer Jerry Zgoda, Wolves SG Kevin Martin said, "I didn't know Kevin Love got traded until yesterday."

Why do I suspect Mr. Martin is having some fun with the media!? I'm just quoting a twitter feed quoted by hoopshype, so it's a bit removed. Maybe context will clear it up...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:42 AM »

#2 is a cursed pick:

2010 - Evan Turner. Some good stats on Philly, but that was Philly, who makes the Wolves look talented. I liked him in college, but he's not cutting it.

...and now he's a Boston Celtic

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »

True, but at only about $3 mil a year. One expects a #2 pick to be negotiating a second deal worth 4 or 5 times that, not to mention longer term than the 2 years he got from the Celts.

Philly had interesting news: #32 pick KJ McDaniels apparently passed up a multiyear deal with guarantees for the right to be a free agent after this season. Normally a 2nd rounder would shoot for stability but on a team as bad as philly is likely
To be, good production could earn him a nice payday.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

Per Minneapolis Star Tribune Wolves beat writer Jerry Zgoda, Wolves SG Kevin Martin said, "I didn't know Kevin Love got traded until yesterday."

Why do I suspect Mr. Martin is having some fun with the media!? I'm just quoting a twitter feed quoted by hoopshype, so it's a bit removed. Maybe context will clear it up...

I imagine that those guys got pretty sick of listening to that Love crap every day all summer. For some reason, I don't think that Love left many good friends behind in Minnesota. Martin's just trying to imply (I think) that he couldn't care less what Love did or didn't do. I like it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »

I imagine that those guys got pretty sick of listening to that Love crap every day all summer. For some reason, I don't think that Love left many good friends behind in Minnesota. Martin's just trying to imply (I think) that he couldn't care less what Love did or didn't do. I like it.

I think you're 100% correct. Rubio had a few quotes over the late summer that led me to believe something similar. Basically, you're with us or shut the f*** up and leave. Quit blaming us for our joint lack of success.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »

Philly had interesting news: #32 pick KJ McDaniels apparently passed up a multiyear deal with guarantees for the right to be a free agent after this season. Normally a 2nd rounder would shoot for stability but on a team as bad as philly is likely

I wasn't thinking too much about about KJ McDaniels until you posted this. So, I'm listening to 94WIP Radio in Philadelphia and 76ers coach Brett Brown comes on. He said that KJ McDaniels is competing for the STARTING 2guard position, and he can see McDaniels being with the 76ers for the next 10 years! Shocked I'm starting to get excited about this season. At the very least it will be interesting.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »

I wasn't thinking too much about about KJ McDaniels until you posted this. So, I'm listening to 94WIP Radio in Philadelphia and 76ers coach Brett Brown comes on. He said that KJ McDaniels is competing for the STARTING 2guard position, and he can see McDaniels being with the 76ers for the next 10 years! Shocked I'm starting to get excited about this season. At the very least it will be interesting.

While I don't recall seeing him in college, I saw McDaniels a little in the summer league. Granted, that's not always the best predictor--MVPs Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Josh Selby, anyone?--I did like what I saw. He is very athletic and was just wild running around the court, showing a level of hustle uncommon in summer league games. He isn't offensively skilled, but he's athletic and tenacious. On a team with so little talent, and even less of it (proportionately) on the wings, I could absolutely imagine him starting and producing numbers beyond what he probably would elsewhere.

The only downside (and this is the Minnesota-sports pessimist in me talking) is that with an out after this year, he could leverage that to a bigger and better deal elsewhere. More optimistically, though, he might look around and realize that being on a team with MCW, Alexey Shved (OK, just seeing if you're paying attention), Dario Saric, Nerlens Noel, and Joel Embiid isnt' the worst place for a young wing to come up.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

All right, the season is (kind of) underway and I'm going to catch Det v Chi. Im excited to see Mirotic and McDermott especially, but also to see what Van Gundy's system is going to look like with that roster.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: