-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  National Basketball Association ('14-'15)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: National Basketball Association ('14-'15)  (Read 164239 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:58 AM »

Part of the issue is that SVG loves surrounding his post(s) with 3-pt threats though, so threatening Smith re 3s doesn't achieve that, either. And to bring your best paid player off the bench is rough.

Hopefully for their sake Detroit can move Smith for legit PG and/or 3-pt threat wing. Getting Monroe on a qualifying may be the best way to try and do that while retaining flexibility.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »

Looks like Monroe's going to sign that offer sheet.

This year will be interesting; he's going to try to put up monster numbers. Josh Smith is going to shoot it every time he gets his hands on it. Brandon Jennings is going to make bad shot selections. Last time I checked, you only play with one ball.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

Teamwork! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »

Interesting, and wise for all involved.

Detroit will be looking to make moves, though, for sure. Up to and in the early half of the season. Time to define that team and build toward an identity. With SVG, we kind of can guess where he's going. You know, the sad thing is, Smith is almost a great Hedo Turkoglu guy, the one who can facilitate from the forward position and let a shot-happy PG (Jennings in the Jameer Nelson role) play off the ball. But unfortunately, Turkoglu was a good 3-pt shooter when he was at his best for SVG, while Smith is ... not.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »

Teamwork! Wink

On this team?  Shocked

Grin
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »

This subject has cooled off, but I just want to put my 2 cents out here. Not to offend anybody, but just to perhaps open discussion a little bit.

Finally, the Clippers have been sold. There's no doubt in my mind that Donald Sterling is a terrible person. That's been known for years. His offenses have been well known by many, and have been reported years ago. Not just the racial bit either, he's a slumlord, and basically a snake. I mean, who brings their girlfriend to games, while his wife is somewhere else?

This is my problem with the whole 'uproar' that happened; why haven't people called out the players who have signed there, or Doc Rivers who signed there, knowing the kind of person Donald Sterling is? I mean, I knew he was a racist and a terrible owner years ago. These guys knew it, and they still signed there. In my eyes, the only thing that's different between a year ago, and now, is that they actually heard his voice say some of these things. Yet if you know he's this way, why sign there? It's almost like, 'we know you're a racist and an asshole, but as long as you don't say it out loud, I'll still work for you'. They were willing to take his money before. Now, they have to act outraged, because that's what the public wants. I'm tired of hearing about how Doc Rivers has to play the role of 'the healer' on this team. Doc's been around forever, he knew the score. That's what burns me about all of this.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »

You have some solid points. And everyone did know Sterling was a racist, penny-pinching asshole. There's a reason no free agent re-signed there until Eric Piatkowski--actually two: players felt like they were escaping jail and wanted out; while Sterling was happy to suck, get lottery picks on lower salaries, and watch them bail for bigger contracts while he welcomed a new batch of prospects and collected league cash from tv deals and revenue sharing.

Here's where I might differ: the players and coaches only have so many opportunities to play and coach, and, asshole pig owner or not, the Clippers are one of those 30 opportunities. I think he was a power the less empowered tried to work around to pursue their (highly lucrative) dreams. When they saw a chance to help force change, they took it.

Frankly I relate somewhat. I'm employed by a firm I don't especially like which is itself owned by a company I loathe, which is mostly owned by a few people I fully despise. But I do what I do to get what I can, and if the chance to change things for the better arose, I'd take it. But I willingly, if unfortunately, still show up, do the work, and collect the checks.

The Clips aren't angels or heroes, they're just like anyone else, people, compromising.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »

I agree that some players had to do it, because of their options. However, Chris Paul re-upped after he was traded there. Doc Rivers knew the score. That's the part that rankles me, nobody wants to get on those guys. But then again, who in the media is really going to do that? Somebody who wants to get fired, mostly.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I just think everyone, including Doc and Paul, is out to do the best he can for himself and his family. Then when they saw leverage, they used it.

Thinking about Sterling in general is just depressing. Even in his court appearances recently...what a miserable f***.

Slow time for bball this month, draft over, free agency fireworks mostly over, the Worlds and training camps a ways off. I need action!

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »

I know that he's a terrible guy, however I also am pretty sure that he has some form of dementia. That's been debated, and I'm pretty sure he has something wrong. One minute he was telling his wife how much he loved her in court, the next he was calling her an animal. Odd.

You know, the Cavs and Heat play on Christmas Day, which is sure to be a ratings blow-out. I think the NBA blew it though, by having them also team up in the pre-season in Brazil. I get why they're doing it, to get 'The Brand' out there, and I think it's only like the 3rd time an NBA game has been played there. I think it would be a lot more exciting if they would've met for the first time for the Christmas game.

Yeah, this time of year, football is starting to heat up. In 2 1/2 weeks I'll be in Spartan Stadium, watching MSU defend their Big Ten title! Anyone else (Captain, because there's only like 2 other people that I think even read these posts) into football?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »

I like football but my attention has really waned in recent years. Honestly, while I seem uber-geeky about basketball, I'm probably at about 35% geekiness in comparison to my prime. Football was never quite the same for me, but has taken a similarly or greater dive. Basketball, I'll watch anybody. Football, it's just Vikings, Gophers, and sometimes Notre Dame.

The Gophers are going to be fun this year. The schedule is really tough (rated something like 22nd most difficult in the nation), but the talent is really getting better and it seems like a program you can begin to depend on. Coach Kill's predecessor, Tim Brewster, was just a huckster. Horrible. Some decent recruiting, though a lot of the best guys didn't ever get eligible or were kicked out of the program and/or school. Kill keeps pulling in under-the-radar-to-decent recruits, but they improve. That's a huge key to college football, especially in a program that isn't going to ever attract large numbers of true blue-chippers: coaching kids up. Glen Mason (Gophers coach in the late 90s to the mid-00s) was pretty good about it, too. Brewster was just the worse. And it didn't help that we had new coordinators every single year. Adam Weber, a former QB, had five different offensive coordinators in his five years, if I'm not mistaken. Just pathetic. Coach Kill is doing a great job.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »

Let me get this out of the way. I believe Sterling is a racist, a jerk, a bully, and I'm glad he out out of the NBA. However, there are three thing about this saga that bother me a lot.

First, the dementia issue. I don't think this was addressed enough in the proceedings. SOMEBODY, SOME DOCTOR examined Sterling and his/her findings were that Sterling suffers from dementia. To the best of my knowledge, there were never any hearings to determine if this was true or not. But, what if it was true? Wouldn't Sterling medically and legally be seen as incompetent, which would have, in effect, made him NOT responsible for his recent actions and proclamations?

Second, in conjunction with Sterling's proclamations, I have a problem with something that somebody says behind the privacy of their home being used against them. Here is a man that basically had his business taken away from him because of something he uttered at the kitchen table, which wasn't supposed to made public. Again I think it was Mark Cuban who said that the NBA is creating "a slippery slope." Professional owners beware and be careful of what you say, even if it is said in the privacy of your own home. I guarantee it won't be long before another owner from some sport utters something racist. We'll see what happens to him.

Which brings me to the last - and most disturbing - point. Just to repeat I don't like Sterling and I think he is a racist. But this whole deal reeks of money and hypocrisy. The NBA knew for over 30 years that Sterling was a racist. From some other things Sterling said and did, public things, the NBA would've had a strong case to remove Sterling a few times in the past. Why now? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ It took the NBA to begin losing money, or the threat of losing large sums of money, which prompted them to act. Sponsors of the Clippers - and the NBA - were pressuring Silver to remove Sterling or they would pull their sponsorships. Also, the players were about to start a mutiny, and jeopardizing the remainder of the NBA playoffs, which also would've resulted in the loss of large sums of money. The NBA was going to take a big PR hit. It was only then - after 30+ years of similar behavior by Sterling - did the NBA decide to remove Sterling. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and hypocrisy.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »

I think I probably agree with all of that, except the part about his competence: there were hearings that included that and he was indeed ruled incompetent. I think the point there wasn't whether he was responsible for racist remarks, but rather that by being mentally incompetent, he was no longer capable of running the team and thus his wife had control (and was able to sell).

But as both of you said, the world--or at least anyone paying attention--knew who and what Sterling was for years. Decades. The remarks in 2014 were not shocking. The reaction was what was shocking.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

I think I probably agree with all of that, except the part about his competence: there were hearings that included that and he was indeed ruled incompetent. I think the point there wasn't whether he was responsible for racist remarks, but rather that by being mentally incompetent, he was no longer capable of running the team and thus his wife had control (and was able to sell).

Thanks for the clarification on that. But I also wonder how/why that ruling didn't carry over as to whether he could LEGALLY be responsible for saying the things he said - which ultimately were used against him.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »

Thanks for the clarification on that. But I also wonder how/why that ruling didn't carry over as to whether he could LEGALLY be responsible for saying the things he said - which ultimately were used against him.

I don't think there is any "legally responsible for what he said" involved. There is no responsibility to be proved or disproved, as that wasn't what caused the team's sale. Basically, this is what I understand as having happened:

1. Sterling's prostitute (sorry, but seriously...) releases racist remarks.
2. Media, league, world go nuts and want him to sell. League makes its somewhat questionable (legally) fines and orders him to sell.
3. He won't sell.
4. Hugely embarrassed (for so, so many reasons by this time...) wife hopes he may decide to sell and talks to potential buyer, Steve Ballmer.
5. Ballmer agrees to buy an insane $2 billion ... but Sterling won't cede.
6. Wife thinks she knows how to make him sell and get out of controversy: mental stability clause of ownership agreement.
7. While furor over racist remarks goes on, the wholly separate process about his mental stability (and thus legal right to prevent sale of team) continues.
8. He is ruled mentally unstable, and thus not competent to block sale of team.

In other words, from a purely legal/procedural standpoint, the racist remarks aren't why he sold the team. His court-proven mental incompetence--admittedly tested in the first place because of the remarks, but with those remarks otherwise irrelevant in this context--is why he had to let his wife sell the team.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »

And also, it was the golden opportunity for the NBA to get rid of him. Even if you ignore the fact that he's a hardcore racist, he wasn't a very good owner, as Captain pointed out earlier. They've wanted him out for years, and this was the perfect setup.

One thing I was always interested in, was his threat to take the NBA to court, and start airing out the dirty laundry. If you think that Sterling is the only owner who's done ridiculously terrible sh*t, you'd probably be wrong.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »

I'd like to see Coach Kill succeed. He's had what, something like 3 seizures in the last year? Man. They have a decent defense, too. That Big Ten schedule though, wow. Those last 3 games are killer!

I used to get worked up about recruiting rankings, like how many 5-star guys do we have. I've come to realize that it doesn't always matter, if you can't coach. Perfect example is our hated rival, University Of Michigan. They get top classes every year, and in the last few years haven't been very good. Since Mark Dantonio has been here, we get average classes, but our teams have been pretty damn good. A lot of is also due to the D coach, Pat Narduzzi. There's a difference in the program now, though. The team expects to win, instead of trying not to lose. Hiring Dantonio is the best move the Athletic Department has made since hiring Izzo.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:19:46 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »

Hal , you should go to some games and meet up with the captain.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »

I like football but my attention has really waned in recent years. Honestly, while I seem uber-geeky about basketball, I'm probably at about 35% geekiness in comparison to my prime. Football was never quite the same for me, but has taken a similarly or greater dive. Basketball, I'll watch anybody. Football, it's just Vikings, Gophers, and sometimes Notre Dame.

The Gophers are going to be fun this year. The schedule is really tough (rated something like 22nd most difficult in the nation), but the talent is really getting better and it seems like a program you can begin to depend on. Coach Kill's predecessor, Tim Brewster, was just a huckster. Horrible. Some decent recruiting, though a lot of the best guys didn't ever get eligible or were kicked out of the program and/or school. Kill keeps pulling in under-the-radar-to-decent recruits, but they improve. That's a huge key to college football, especially in a program that isn't going to ever attract large numbers of true blue-chippers: coaching kids up. Glen Mason (Gophers coach in the late 90s to the mid-00s) was pretty good about it, too. Brewster was just the worse. And it didn't help that we had new coordinators every single year. Adam Weber, a former QB, had five different offensive coordinators in his five years, if I'm not mistaken. Just pathetic. Coach Kill is doing a great job.

The Gophers host Ohio State 11/15/14.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:18 PM »

The Gophers host Ohio State 11/15/14.

And sadly, that is not likely to be a good example of the Gophers' improvement: our talent can't come close to the Buckeyes. Home game or not, I'm sure we'll lose by double-digits. And quite possibly by 20+.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:19:15 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:18:05 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2014, 05:39:51 AM »

Ha! It's almost true, too...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »

Team USA v Brazil in an exhibition in Chicago to warm up for the Worlds. Lot of nba guys for Brazil, but not really a coherent or fluid team.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: