gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:08:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Make It Good Appreciation Thread  (Read 12782 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »

Ho.

Ho.

And probably, ho.

Most risible. My sides, they are splitting.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »

"Make It Good" is definitely NOT filler. It's one of the best tracks on C&TP. The strings by themselves sound great. Add an emotional vocal and lyrics and you have a great song. Sounds even better with all the lights out and a woman next to you.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »

I took special notice of "Make It Good" upon first listen to the album circa the 1990-91 Brother reissues. Months later I would hear the swelling orchestrations in my head at odd moments during the day. Yes, Dennis had better tunes in the can and one might fairly say it is an overwrought piece that doesn't really go anywhere. But like all great art, "Make It Good" transcends perceived flaws to touch the heart anyway. It's still my favorite off the disjointed and peculiar platter that is Carl & the Passions-"So Tough".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:05:16 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:27:11 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

None of Dennis' songs were ever filler. I mean, "Tug Of Love" actually got bumped from POB! Shocked Sad I don't think Dennis ever wrote a bad song.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »

None of Dennis' songs were ever filler. I mean, "Tug Of Love" actually got bumped from POB! Shocked Sad I don't think Dennis ever wrote a bad song.

He should have donated "Tug Of Love" for consideration on MIU. It would have been a nice trade up at the expense of "Hey Little Tomboy", but perhaps "Tug" - a good but not great Dennis tune - was too stellar to keep company with such mediocrity!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »

He should have donated "Tug Of Love" for consideration on MIU. It would have been a nice trade up at the expense of "Hey Little Tomboy", but perhaps "Tug" - a good but not great Dennis tune - was too stellar to keep company with such mediocrity!

Yes, I like that idea! I'm always re-sequencing BB albums but I never thought of "Tug Of Love" on M.I.U. I'm putting it right after "Wontcha Come Out Tonight". I like the lyrical tie, too. Little girl won't you come out tonight into lonely one are you feeling blue.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:35:04 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »

I took special notice of "Make It Good" upon first listen to the album circa the 1990-91 Brother reissues. Months later I would hear the swelling orchestrations in my head at odd moments during the day. Yes, Dennis had better tunes in the can and one might fairly say it is an overwrought piece that doesn't really go anywhere. But like all great art, "Make It Good" transcends perceived flaws to touch the heart anyway. It's still my favorite off the disjointed and peculiar platter that is Carl & the Passions-"So Tough".

Dear Steve -

1. You'd put "Make It Good" ahead of "Marcella", "Cuddle Up", and "Mess Of Help"? Not that I have an issue with that, but .......
2. "Overwrought". "Doesn't go anywhere". "Perceived flaws". Now THOSE I have issues with.  Smiley
3. Go Giants!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »

Make It Good is cinematic...as so many of Dennis' recordings are. That really hit home during the making of the Real Beach Boy documentary, when we started putting things like Be With Me, Mexico, Cocktails, Holy Man etc... over scenes of L.A. sunsets, ocean waves rolling, sky foggy or blue, cityscape, So Cal imagery...his music REALLY comes to life as a soundtrack set to moving images. I think Make It Good is prime for this because it is so sweeping.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

I had similar thoughts when listening to Make It Good, that it would work even better as an accompaniment to images than it does as pure music. It would be a more fully authentic pseudo-Wagnerian experience. I was asking myself  "why hasn't Make It Good made an appearance on z famous soundtrack??"
'Cause it'd fit right into something by Paul Thomas Anderson , I think.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:16:34 AM by the prettiest man in all of smileysmilesville » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »

Somebody once asked if there were any through-composed songs in the BB catalog, and I suggested Make it Good as a possible example. Never really received an answer. My attention span is apparently too short-- is this true?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »

Somebody once asked if there were any through-composed songs in the BB catalog, and I suggested Make it Good as a possible example. Never really received an answer. My attention span is apparently too short-- is this true?

Meant For You could be considered through-composed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »

Dear Steve -

1. You'd put "Make It Good" ahead of "Marcella", "Cuddle Up", and "Mess Of Help"? Not that I have an issue with that, but .......
2. "Overwrought". "Doesn't go anywhere". "Perceived flaws". Now THOSE I have issues with.  Smiley
3. Go Giants!

1. Yes. It's my favorite song on the album.
   2.  Those are some of the things detractors say about "Make It Good." I still like it.
   3. Sure. I haven't looked at the standings lately.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

Despite my relative lack of esteem toward Dennis's music as compared to many people here, I'm actually fond of "Make it Good." It's certainly ballsy from an arrangement standpoint. My biggest complaint is Dennis's vocal, especially as it strains on the higher notes. I realize many people like to call their favorite singers' edge-of-failure stretches "emotional" or something, but to me this is just someone not up to the vocal task, which is inexcusable when he's in the best pop vocal band in history, a band which includes a couple of brothers who could provide better performances without sacrificing an emotional delivery.

I also like that it's 2:39. He gets his point across and we can move on. I'm not one for the dragging out of pop songs, and sometimes (for my taste), Dennis's go on a bit too long.

Now I have to ask, are we going to have a "[Song] is underrated!" thread for every Dennis song?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »

Then you probably don't like Joe Cocker either. Or Don Henley or any other guy who has a gruff voice.

And if "Make It Good" is too long, then so is "Cuddle Up". And "I've Got a Friend". It's all about genuine emotion and love from the heart. And that voice gets it across clearly in those songs, in addition to "Barbara" and "Lady".  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:53:28 PM by Mikie » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »

If Make It Good's too long, then so is all the songs off CATP, as that's the shortest song off it!  Grin
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »

I said I LIKE "Make it Good" being the length it is:

"I also like that it's 2:39. He gets his point across and we can move on."

As for the gruff voices, well, I do hate Don Henley. Seriously, wow. Joe Cocker, meh. But I love plenty of gruff voiced musicians, like Tom Waits and latter-day Dylan. I think if you read the post, you'll see I said "many people like to call their favorite singers' edge-of-failure stretches 'emotional' or something." And I'm no exception. When Waits stretches, I think his performance shows some character. Ditto Dylan. When Dennis, not among my favorite singers, does it, I think "wow, you can't hit the note."

There is one key distinction, in that Beach Boys music tends to require more accurately pitched vocals due to underlying harmonies, including Dennis's. I've talked about it plenty in re Brian's deteriorating vocals, too. When your music is based largely on dense harmonic structures, you aren't afforded the errors allowed a bluesman, for example.

Anyway, I hope you'll read my posts more carefully in the future before criticizing them. Criticize what I actually said, at least.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »

I might have appreciated this soundscape more if it was on a DW solo album...either POB or Bambu

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »

I'm not one for the dragging out of pop songs, and sometimes (for my taste), Dennis's go on a bit too long.

Yeah, and you probably dislike "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" too because it drags on too long.

I just flat out disagree.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 07:24:51 PM »

I'm not one for the dragging out of pop songs, and sometimes (for my taste), Dennis's go on a bit too long.

Yeah, and you probably dislike "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" too because it drags on too long.

I just flat out disagree.

This is just lovely: I compliment something for NOT doing something I don't like, and I'm criticized anyway, with wholly unrelated topics brought in. Cute. Anyway, yes, I am not especially fond of the final minute of WIBNTLA, though the vocal bit is cool: I'd have liked a tighter arrangement.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »

Guys, please try not to argue. There's been too much drama on this forum in the last few weeks or so, try and keep it peaceful!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

Anyone wanting to create or participate in message board drama is pathetic and needs an offline life. I'm sure Mikie and I can disagree without "drama."

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »

Yep. No arguing or drama here. This is the wrong place for it; people are tired of it. If the youngsters on the board want to take it to the Sandbox, fine, otherwise we're gonna run yer asses off the main threads if you pull that sh*t again.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »

Anyone wanting to create or participate in message board drama is pathetic and needs an offline life. I'm sure Mikie and I can disagree without "drama."

Yep. No arguing or drama here. This is the wrong place for it; people are tired of it. If the youngsters on the board want to take it to the Sandbox, fine, otherwise we're gonna run yer asses off the main threads if you pull that sh*t again.

Agreed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »

Back to the gruff voice thing, I meant to go further than I did before. I think it works better in character than it does in earnest. Sometimes the character is earnest, which works. But for example, if Waits is growling some absurd note, it's inevitably in the character of some down-and-out, sympathetic protagonist. It's more acting than singing. When someone who is primarily singing sings that way, it's not so effective. And, as I initially alluded to without quite saying, I think that's something often taken as sincerity, when in reality, a lot of guys just have gruff voices. They aren't any more sincere or emotional than clear-toned singers. And when they miss their notes, it isn't any more touching than when clear-toned singers miss notes.

For a character to fail is tragedy in a good way. For a singer to fail is tragedy in a bad way.

In "Make It Good," I just think Dennis should have used the stronger voices available to him in parts. But as I said, I actually more or less like it as-is.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx