gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:47:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Make It Good Appreciation Thread  (Read 12902 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »

There doesn't seem to be too much love for this misunderstood song, which resides on CATP. It's not exactly a favourite of mine, but I think it's time people started singing it's praises. Though it could have been better lyrically (Dennis's singing:  Thumbs Up), it's overall a brilliant experiment. It's always nice to hear the Beach Boys try something different, like country (Cottonfields), Hard Rock (All I Want To Do), Roots Rock (Much of CATP), or even Disco (Here Comes The Night, single version). Make It Good is definitely not your average Beach Boys track, but once you understand the song, it's excellent. A real dream-like song.

Oh, and I'd like to dedicate this thread to Gabo, who I know is totally going to love this thread!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:45:55 AM »

Impressive production but everyone was trying a little too hard on this one. Excessive is the word here.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:43 AM »

Impressive production but everyone was trying a little too hard on this one. Excessive is the word here.

+1. I want to love this song, but I have a hard time quite understanding the intention of some of it.  I'm certain Dennis was trying to be very sincere, but some of the orchestral sweeping parts just seem overly dramatic, and the song ultimately is puzzling to me.  I can't say that of any other of his songs.

That said, I'd love to hear more from people who dig the song. Sometimes hearing new insight can open my ears to things I've missed or misunderstood.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:10:39 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »

There doesn't seem to be too much love for this misunderstood song, which resides on CATP. It's not exactly a favourite of mine, but I think it's time people started singing it's praises. Though it could have been better lyrically (Dennis's singing:  Thumbs Up), it's overall a brilliant experiment. It's always nice to hear the Beach Boys try something different, like country (Cottonfields), Hard Rock (All I Want To Do), Roots Rock (Much of CATP), or even Disco (Here Comes The Night, single version). Make It Good is definitely not your average Beach Boys track, but once you understand the song, it's excellent. A real dream-like song.

Oh, and I'd like to dedicate this thread to Gabo, who I know is totally going to love this thread!

What is there to understand? It`s not exactly a quadratic equation...

It`s an ok song but not one of Dennis`s best efforts.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:01:36 AM »

dreamscape is probably one of the best ways to describe it.  it feels like the song is going somewhere.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:08:34 AM »

It's a rubbish song that ruins an otherwise great album. I wish they'd used WIBNTLA in it's place or better yet convinced Brian to take a crack at a full band version of Sweet Mountain.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:10:05 AM »

Found a vinyl copy of CATP at the Chapel Street Bazaar circa 1990. Mesmerised by the atmospheric brilliance of Make It Good upon first listen.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:29 AM »

I believe someone once referred to this as a "pseudo-Wagnerian soundscape" which was "affecting but also mildly irritating because it doesn't get anywhere", and by crackey, they nailed it.

Oh, wait... that was me.   Thud
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:19:47 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:23:03 AM »

It would be more than mildly amusing if someone at a record pressing plant got "Make it Good" mixed up with "Make it Big", leading to "Make it Good" winding up on "Still Cruisin'", while "Make it Big" sneaks onto CATP. Coffee would be spit out by listeners far and wide.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »

I think this would have remained better as an in-joke on another thread - as it was prior to today - rather than being made into an actual thread, especially as we've all gone to such pains to clam down the hysteria which resulted following previous Dennis-song appreciation threads.

Regardless... I love Make It Good. Loved it the first time I heard CATP and never had an inclination of the animosity it attracted until I joined this board. It's not a song, it's a poem with orchestral backing. Clearly not a lot of people's cup of tea - but it certainly moves me...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 03:31:03 AM »

Regardless... I love Make It Good. Loved it the first time I heard CATP and never had an inclination of the animosity it attracted until I joined this board. It's not a song, it's a poem with orchestral backing. Clearly not a lot of people's cup of tea - but it certainly moves me...

Yeah, agreed. That's how I see it. I was quite shocked too when I found out.

What is there to understand? It`s not exactly a quadratic equation...

It`s an ok song but not one of Dennis`s best efforts.

It's not easy to describe, but it's to understand how Dennis was going with it.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:43 AM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:28:20 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:49:55 AM »

I believe someone once referred to this as a "pseudo-Wagnerian soundscape" which was "affecting but also mildly irritating because it doesn't get anywhere", and by crackey, they nailed it.

Oh, wait... that was me.   Thud

Sometimes not really going anywhere is quite nice...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:18 AM »

In general, I like that particular time frame in BB history because it's incredibly strange. CATP was the group's attempt at an early-70s rock sound and DW's material doesn't seem to fit in at all - which I think is great, because it's a remarkable thing to do for a group's drummer to come up with music like that when the rest of the guys were essentially trying to be The Band. It's something you don't expect even on an album that would've been an unusual set of songs anyway. That's what I really really like about CATP, even though it's clearly no Pet Sounds.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »

I rather like it, so long as I pay enough attention to it during the short time that it's on.  It needs attention.  But even at my best, I don't feel quite as moved as it sounds.

If it doesn't go anywhere, it's because it's already there and that's the problem. We're hearing a grand climax, but without experiencing the journey to it, thus the moment can feel unearned.  And then it's over before you know it and you can just move on, a grand thing seeming slight.  Problem of length, I guess.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »

I love "Make It Good"; I think it's a very good song. I don't find it fragmentary or incomplete. It has a direct vocal intro, a peak, and a typical (but nice) Dennis fade. It's not as good as "Cuddle Up", and that's part of the problem - the sequencing and proximity to "Cuddle Up". They should've separated the two Dennis songs better, one song on Side 1 and one song on Side 2.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »

I don't feel it needs to get anywhere that it doesn't--it works perfectly in the context of the CATP album as the firs of the last three beautiful songs (the only part of that album that achieves anything like unity).  Admittedly I almost never listen to it without listening to "All This is That" and "Cuddle Up" immediately afterwards, but I still love the song.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »

What's next, a Denny's drums thread? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »

What's next, a Denny's drums thread? Roll Eyes

Now that song was filler rubbish! I don't think Make It Good deserves to be compared to that!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »

I prefer Denny's Drums.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »

I think both tracks are filler.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »

Not liking a song doesn't automatically make it filler. Dennis (and Daryl Dragon) clearly, audibly put a lot of work into creating Make it Good - whether you like the results or not is another story, but filler it ain't...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »

Considering what Dennis had in his song bag at the time, it's filler.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »

Apparently extracted from his then-solo album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:26:57 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx