gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:56:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Song: Be Okay  (Read 6183 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

Hi all. This morning I decided I should write something, so I started a new little song and demo'd it. I had a rock n roll thing in mind when I started but by the refrain, with the three different vocals and piano, that's out... Anyway, I hope you enjoy it (even though it really needs some fleshing out as well as a proper recording).

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/be-okay

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »

It sounds like you are about as likely to make a rock and roll record as Brian Wilson is.  Wink

I like what you've got going on here, the melody, the bgvs, etc.  Also, this is probably my favorite vocal of yours.  I look forward to hearing the finished product.

EoL

halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:13:17 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »

Thanks EoL and RiC... I appreciate the nice words.

And EoL, I swear I can do (and have done!) actual rock 'n' roll. But yeah, not often, and especially since I'm drummerless, I don't even bother thinking that way much these days. I try to jot down ideas that later can be finished up, and so the rock would theoretically fit into some of those tunes. However, it seems I usually end up with pop.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »

I decided to write a bridge this morning before this song faded away into the trashbin that is my notebooks and memory. So here it is with a middle eight and another verse. I do like the middle eight, some fun and not-quite-normal (though not anything groundbreaking or anything) chord changes:

G/D ' ' ' / D/A ' ' ' / C#-7 ' ' ' / C#-7/F# B/F# F# F#7 /
G#-7 ' ' ' / C#-7 ' ' ' / B/D# ' ' ' / Esus ' E ' /

I'll admit the lyrics are pretty much just a matter of filling space... Anyway, we're up to about 2:13 now, which is (for me) solid song length. Mission accomplished (until / unless I ever get the damn thing done properly).

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes/be-okay-1

halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:25:15 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Just bridge.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:30:26 AM by the prettiest man in smileysmile » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:43 AM »

Other chords:

Intro:
D ' E/D '  / (3x) /  E7 ' ' '

Verse:
A ' ' ' / D ' / F#-7 ' / B-7 ' ' ' / E7 ' ' ' / (2x)

Refrain:
B ' F#/A# ' / E/G# ' G#-7 ' / F# ' ' ' / ' ' ' ' / ((2x)
D#-7 ' ' ' / G#-7 ' ' ' / E-7 ' ' ' /

(Bridge printed above)

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »

I like the bridge as well, great job.  I can never seem to write one, so I'm always impressed when someone else does it well.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »

Thanks, EoL. I appreciate that.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 01:53:05 AM »

ditch the dummy lyrics write something profound + meaningful  Razz  Afro  3D  police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »

ditch the dummy lyrics write something profound + meaningful  Razz  Afro  3D  police
Haha, tough crowd! I think this wasn't bad for a total of a little over two hours' work (across the two mornings)! Sometimes you just have to fill out the syllables...

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »

i will always know that this song was a workshop effort even if you change the lyrics. it did not come from your heart.  Cool
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »

You know what would be a fun game? Guessing what songs come from the heart vs. what were just "workshop efforts."

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »

Jealous Guy was just a recycled Child of Nature
zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:05:48 PM by zatch » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »

Thanks, Zach.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »

Some life has breathed into this old tune, "Be Okay," previously shared as a scratch/demo (which is also still on the soundcloud page if you're into comparing, which is weird but whatever). Drums courtesy Zach. Pretty much everything is new except some vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/the-beau-mondes

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »

Some life has breathed into this old tune, "Be Okay," previously shared as a scratch/demo (which is also still on the soundcloud page if you're into comparing, which is weird but whatever). Drums courtesy Zach. Pretty much everything is new except some vocals.

This may be a superficial comparison (because I don't have the knowledge to properly analyze a song), but some parts remind me of The Yellow Balloon, who have some great songs.  Thank you for sharing the final (or more final) version.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 06:50:30 AM »

This may be a superficial comparison (because I don't have the knowledge to properly analyze a song), but some parts remind me of The Yellow Balloon, who have some great songs.  Thank you for sharing the final (or more final) version.

Thanks, EoL. Any similarity to the Yellow Balloon would be accidental, in that I'm not aware of ever having heard them.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »

Check it out cap, may fav by them:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G13Ze1ndjfA

And...the song doesn't sound like anything of theirs in particular, but has a similar vibe.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »

Thanks, EoL: I can certainly see where the comparison comes from.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx