gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:41:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dallas by Mike Love could have been a country music hit?  (Read 3088 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »

I think if they ended up releasing Country Love this track had the potential for some airplay, can't deny how catchy that chorus is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKdNN1wrjo

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:39 AM »

I actually liked that song.  It would be good to hear it in better quality.  I've always liked Mike's voice, it's very nostalgic for me.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:28:10 AM »

"Dallas" by Mike Love could have been a country music hit?

Neigh.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »

Someone owes me three and a half minutes of my life back.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

Great song, decent production, but Mike's voice is way out of place IMHO. Very nasal
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »

I dunno.  I'm a big country fan and I've got to tell you that's pretty horrible.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »

"I LIIIIIIIVE IN A PALACE. I DRIIIIIINK FROM A CHALACE. "

Quite poetic, no?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »

Listening to it right now and I can't hear a hit song at all. Makes me wonder why he would sing these lyrics (and other songs) but have problems with "Cabinessence" and "Hang On To Your Ego". On the other hand, "Oh! Those Girls" could have been a minor novelty "hit" had it been released in the 1980's. Now you have me listening to Country Love (no, not Courtney Love) again and although it isn't terrible for the most part, it ain't Frampton Comes Alive or one of those other huge selling albums at the time.

Not related to the topic, but I've really begun appreciating Al's "Looking Down The Coast" a lot recently. I think I'll dig up his Postcard cd later to get Country Love out of my brain. For a "country album", it's still drowning in cheese (imitation cheddar at that).
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:39:08 PM »

Part of the problem is his singing. I know everyone talks about Brian and Dennis' voices deteriorating, but Mike's goes south in the mid-late 70s too.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »

Quite poetic, no?

The Chalice from the Palace holds the brew that is true. 

Wait, Wait, no, it's the Flagon with the Dragon holds the brew that is true.

Wait, Wait, no, I think it's The Vessel with the Pestle holds the brew that is true. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »

Listening to it right now and I can't hear a hit song at all. Makes me wonder why he would sing these lyrics (and other songs) but have problems with "Cabinessence" and "Hang On To Your Ego". On the other hand, "Oh! Those Girls" could have been a minor novelty "hit" had it been released in the 1980's. Now you have me listening to Country Love (no, not Courtney Love) again and although it isn't terrible for the most part, it ain't Frampton Comes Alive or one of those other huge selling albums at the time.

Not related to the topic, but I've really begun appreciating Al's "Looking Down The Coast" a lot recently. I think I'll dig up his Postcard cd later to get Country Love out of my brain. For a "country album", it's still drowning in cheese (imitation cheddar at that).

There's three reasons why he'll sing crazy lyrics but had problems with Cabinessence. 

1. He didn't like VDP

2. He just didn't like that song, either, and used the excuse that the lyrics were too trippy

3. AFTER that style of songwriting proved to be successful and even marketable, Mike fully embraced it.  So years later he would sing anything at all if he thought it would make money.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »

Dallas by Jimmy Buffett was already a country hit and a good at that.  Mike couldn't hold Jimmy's jock.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »

Quite poetic, no?

a lyric the common man can relate to  Afro

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx