gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:05:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The John Lennon Peace, Love, and Appreciation Thread  (Read 40009 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »

Since we're on a John Lennon Thread, I'll add that it was George, not John et.al., whom I would consider the soulful singer of the Beatles. IMO, none of them were really great singers, but it was George's singing that reached down, yes, into my soul. 
George is best singer next to Paul. As I said before in the question, it's not about "John can sing with soul/ emotions/ things like that" but, everybody does it in different way. Everybody's got different voice, George too. He sings like this, John sings like that, Paul sings like sth. else. In short, will disagree with popular point that just few singers can be soulful.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »

Gosh, I have now! Here it is. What do we think? Competition for Murry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbVRQOnQk8

And her's the B side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRlDUeVcTYs
I found these back in 2010. 3D Read Beatles bios, got interested in Beatles' family history, checked Beatles boards & smb. mentioned Alfred sang 2 songs. Lousy singing ofc but curio.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »

The older I get, the more I realize that the mark of a good person is someone who acknowledges their mistakes and tries their hardest to be better. I think John was a great example of someone like that.
It's good for John & people around him. You didn't meet him, many fans here didn't meet him. Then it shouldn't matter what John was like, if he tried to be better etc. We musn't care. People bash Mike, fairly-not fairly, praise Brian, fairly-not fairly, but in these cases it's valid thing to do. BBs fans mainly praise Brian not due to good personality traits but music talents. Mike's bashed due to saying negative things about Wilson brothers, lame jokes, stage banter, can't play instrument etc. Nobody generally studies these 2's characters. To make it easier to read/ get, I'll say this - if smb. is good, it's good for them & immediate friends/ family. Likewise if smb. is bad person, bad for them & fam/ friends.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »

Been reading ancient solo Beatles album discussions at Beatles.ru. I'd like to hear stuff that didn't hear previously. Today listened to Mind Games, John's 1973 album. B4 listening to it, knew just the title track which I immediately disliked/still dislike.

Generally, didn't enjoy it. Track rating 0 to 5:
"Mind Games" - 0
"Tight As" - 2
"Aisumasen (I’m Sorry)" - 0
"One Day (At A Time)" - 0
"Bring On The Lucie (Freeda People)" - 1
"Nutopian International Anthem" - 5
"Intuition" - 0
"Out The Blue" - 3
"Only People" - 3
"I Know (I Know)" - 1
"You Are Here" - 0
"Meat City" - 2

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2020, 03:18:14 AM »

Been reading ancient solo Beatles album discussions at Beatles.ru. I'd like to hear stuff that didn't hear previously. Today listened to Mind Games, John's 1973 album.

I'll be interested to know what you think of Walls and Bridges when you get there. Actually it's the only post-Imagine album of John's I'm familiar with but I think it's super. "#9 Dream" is a fantastic song!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »

Walls & Bridges is next discussion at Beatles.ru, i.e. finished hearing Mind Games, then next listened to W&B. As with MG, single song in it I knew previously - "Steel & Glass". Back then, would give it 0. Today, it's little better. Speaking of, W&B is little better than MG. It's groovy. Track rating 0 to 5:

1. "Going Down On Love" - 3
2. "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night" - 2
3. "Old Dirt Road" - 0,5
4. "What You Got" - 3
5. "Bless You" - 2
6. "Scared" - 2,5
7. "#9 Dream" - 1
8. "Surprise Surprise (Sweet Bird Of Paradox)" - 3,5
9. "Steel & Glass" - 1
10. "Beef Jerky" - 3
11. "Nobody Loves You (When You’re Down & Out)" - 2
12. "Ya Ya" - 2,5

At Beatles.ru, nearly everybody's best track is "Nobody Loves" which didn't get just 5 but 5+, 5++. To these ears, it's best in different version beginning with whistle.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:22:45 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2020, 07:57:25 AM »

Meh, listened to the other John material - really not sth. I really-really like. I must really-really like music to appreciate the artist. Otherwise hey what's the point right? I kinda get why people like "Instant Karma", it's got nice beat, & accessible stuff like "Beautiful Boy" which ain't favorite but listening to it with John fan ears, i.e. as John fan would hear it, I gather why it's really favored, Paul f.ex. said it's his fave John song in youtube interview.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »

Meh, listened to the other John material - really not sth. I really-really like. I must really-really like music to appreciate the artist. Otherwise hey what's the point right? I kinda get why people like "Instant Karma", it's got nice beat, & accessible stuff like "Beautiful Boy" which ain't favorite but listening to it with John fan ears, i.e. as John fan would hear it, I gather why it's really favored, Paul f.ex. said it's his fave John song in youtube interview.

Hey, RR. "Beautiful Boy" is a good song but I can't listen to it. They played it on the radio the night John was murdered. My own son was two at the time so it hit home rather hard.

I love "Instant Karma". It's a good song anyway but Phil Spector's production makes it a great song. Those drums! And "Woman" is the perfect love song -- absolutely flawless.

I don't like everything John did. I own three great albums of his (Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Wall and Bridges) and I can't see myself ever adding to them.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »

I like John Lennon, but there is a lot of his work outside of the Beatles i don't enjoy.
Two Virgins
Life with the Lions
Wedding Album
Sometime In New York City

and certain songs off the other albums. With a lot of John's music, you kind of have to agree with his POV to enjoy it. There are parts of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band that I love, and parts that I hate. And Double Fantasy would have been much better as a John solo album. In fact, as an album, I like Milk and Honey better.

Mind Games is very good, Walls and Bridges is excellent, and Imagine is a masterpiece.

Rock 'N' Roll has some of his best singing on it.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »

With a lot of John's music, you kind of have to agree with his POV to enjoy it.
Hmm. For some of his more overtly political, STINYC-era material? Yes, I can certainly see that. But I don't get that sense for "a lot" of his music.

There are parts of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band that I love, and parts that I hate.
I'm curious what parts you hate (and love, for that matter), but especially hate.  Evil

Rock 'N' Roll has some of his best singing on it.
I totally agree. Especially for his solo career.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »

I don't like everything John did. I own three great albums of his (Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Wall and Bridges) and I can't see myself ever adding to them.
Good decision. Don't waste time listening to the other John albums. It's trash, he's less talented than Paul (duh).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 07:01:56 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »

Peace, love, and appreciation? It doesn't get much farther from trash than the best of those other albums.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 06:48:43 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »

Thanks, I changed Subject title in reply. :D

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx