gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The John Lennon Peace, Love, and Appreciation Thread  (Read 40007 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »

I'm obsessed with this man. Have you heard of him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uljqhaoykHQ

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:39:25 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »

I like John Lennon's work, but he was a real arsehole in his private life.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:25 AM »

A great artist and writer. Shame he is almost forgotten today except for the few songs he wrote featured on "Beach Boys Party".

Please delete my account
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:17 AM »

A great artist and writer. Shame he is almost forgotten today except for the few songs he wrote featured on "Beach Boys Party".
LOL

A bastard and a beautiful soul. A true and complicated artist. Funny as hell. Guess I'll never get tired reading about his life and listening to his music.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »

I don't feel he was an asshole in his life.  I think this clip gives a good view of how he was privately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Q_AG_nLIo

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »

He beat his wife.
That's a strong case for being an asshole.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »

Public Lennon was witty, funny, charming....
Private Lennon was a real dick.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:35 PM »

He beat his wife.

Not to mention neglecting his child (Julian) to the point where Julian said Paul was more of a father to him than John
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:03:18 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

Whatever problems Lennon had with his first family was brought on by the pressures of wealth and fame. And youth. Being a rock star is a 24-7 job, not a 9-5er.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »

That's no excuse. The other Beatles did fine (no wife beating, child neglect), as did the members of the BBs.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:03:32 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »

I'll really dive into it:

• He failed to acknowledge that he had a wife, as to not put off his female fan base.
  • He beat and cheated on his wife.
  • He beat up a friend for jokingly saying that he was gay. John said “he called me a queer, so I battered his bloody ribs in.”
  • He apparently had an affair with Brian Epstein, and then proceeded to mock Brian for being gay.
  • He also made fun of him for being Jewish.
  • He suggested the titles Queer Jew and A Cellarful of Boys as Epstein's biography titles.
  • He had no relationship with his son, Julian, most likely because he was illegitimate.
  • When he died, he left "very little" (according to Julian) to him in his will.

Pressures of fame, my ass.

Don't get me wrong, I like John. But, saying he wasn't a prick just doesn't make sense to me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:55:09 PM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:49:23 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

Yeah ringo says he doesn't remember sh*t. Probably to try and excuse himself from what he was up to.

Raymond was correct in the art vs artist debate. Regardless of what Lennon did he wrote some amazing stuffs. And the greatest! songs.

Agreed. Let's move on.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 05:58:51 PM »

I love "Julia."  The song musically evokes its lyrics in a way that you almost never hear . It really sounds like the ocean... One of the most incredible songs I have ever heard. It gets me choked up sometimes. Too beautiful.

And Lennon's voice. I'd say his vocals were synonymous with the "sound" of the Beatles. It really gave them something unique as an ensemble.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:59:49 PM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »

That's no excuse. The other Beatles did fine (no wife beating, child neglect), as did the members of the BBs.
Ehh...I didn't wanna get into this...but Ringo allegedly beat Barbara Bach in the late 80's.
Damnit.
I thought we had decided to "Separate the art from the crimes.." ,as Rei said.  I didn't want to mention Ringo was a wife beater... but Mr. Woodmesiter made me do it.

Yes, which is why I'm still able to enjoy listening to his amazing work, be it Beatles or Solo!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:48:42 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

I'll really dive into it:

• He failed to acknowledge that he had a wife, as to not put off his female fan base.
  • He beat and cheated on his wife.
  • He beat up a friend for jokingly saying that he was gay. John said “he called me a queer, so I battered his bloody ribs in.”
  • He apparently had an affair with Brian Epstein, and then proceeded to mock Brian for being gay.
  • He also made fun of him for being Jewish.
  • He suggested the titles Queer Jew and A Cellarful of Boys as Epstein's biography titles.
  • He had no relationship with his son, Julian, most likely because he was illegitimate.
  • When he died, he left "very little" (according to Julian) to him in his will.

Pressures of fame, my ass.

Don't get me wrong, I like John. But, saying he wasn't a prick just doesn't make sense to me.

He was apparently beating girls before the Beatles made it big as well...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

Lennon was part Jesus and part Hitler. Part Obiwan Kenobi and part Darth Vader, like most everyone of us I reckon.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »

He beat his wife.

So did Mike Love (over smoking).
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »

I also recently found out that he wrote that song "Imagine" that Mike Love used to sing in the '80s.  The original is worth checking out, though obviously I prefer Mike's version.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »

Obviously. John Lennon's isn't all that funny, which is weird, cuz Mike's version puts me in stitches every time.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »

Actually, now that I think about it, I grew up to the sound of John Lennon's voice so I find it quite soothing at times. Technically there are way better singers out there but he had a unique sound that I've always loved. Despite him being a bad guy or not, I often wish he was still around even writing books or something as he had a very interesting mind. I also believe that the act of him getting killed raised him up to an almost Jesus-like status where people remember him for only the good things and it does get a bit ridiculous at times when he is marketed in a way that is a stark contrast as to who he really was.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »

2OP:How does one pronounce the name Gabo? Is it gaybo? Is it gahbo?
I say Gabo as in German, as I do every weird username (TdHabib, dombanzai, sangheon).

John is not my favorite as a beatle or solo artist & to me he rarely had shining mo's as a vocalist. To top it all off, he was terrible guitarist, I'm more fond of his Mellotron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9waBYt0WDU (#4 could be an apt score to a black-and-white horror, I like to add scary singalongs to it using reverb & lots of echo/flanger)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx