gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:06:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kacey Musgraves in Glasgow, UK  (Read 1553 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »

I bought a ticket for her gig in Glasgow, tomorrow 8th of July, and wondered if anyone else here was going.  If it hadn't have been for her colloboration with Brian I would never have known who she was!  Just goes to show that these types of collaboration can benefits the artists in question.

If I get the chance I'll ask her about working with Brian!  Wink
markb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:32:11 AM »

Looking forward to your review of this concert tomorrow. Have just bought her album on the back of the upcoming duet with Brian and there are a number of songs on there in which you can sense she has been influenced by the band not only harmonically but in terms of chord progressions and a general sense of melancholy that characterises all of the band's best stuff. Be very interested to hear if she is as good as everyone is suggesting she is!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »

Mark, the show was excellent!  I hear what you're saying about her album.  The concert was mellow in keeping with the songs on the album, but she also rocked it up a bit and did a couple of excellent covers of "These Boots Were Made For Walking" and "No Scrubs".  The vocals were spot on and they closed the show with a nice little acapella song round a 50s style radio mike.

She's clearly going to get bigger and played a bunch of new songs which sounded really good.  Next up is a your with Katy Perry.

The support act John and Jacob were also very good and had a Beatles and Beach Boys thing going on, very upbeat with good harmonies.

I'm looking forward to hearing Kacey and Brian together.  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »

My friends and those of you who frequent the non-BBs portions of this board may be sick of me saying so, but I think Musgraves is one of the best talents of modern music. She's not the best singer (likable but no powerhouse), but her songwriting is really, really good, clever in both lyrics and music. Her album only album so far, Same Trailer Different Park, is one of the best of the '10s so far. The singles as well as tunes like "Dandelion" and "Silver Lining" are just fantastic.

I'm very curious to see how she worked with Brian. She's an odd choice as a guest vocalist only, because she's not the best singer out there. Did he write with her? Is he singing her work? So interested.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »

I agree about her talent and also wonder how they worked together.  Did she manage to get into the 'room' and write with Brian!  I certainly wouldn't mind Brian doing more of these kind of collaborations with talented young songwriters.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »

I hope she was able to write or help with the melody.  I think she's very talented and one of my favorite new acts.  Two things she's great at.

1. Melodies.  she is really, really good with coming up with catchy melodies.

2. Nonsense singing... she 'oohs' 'ahhs' and 'woo wooo's' with the best of them, Brian was always good at that too and it's of course a staple of the Beach Boys sound.  She's great at singing little melodies with nonsense syllables that add a lot to her songs.  I don't know what the correct term for that is... it's similar to Scat singing but not as aggressive. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx