gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 01:13:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you prefer to listen to the Beach Boys in mono or stereo?  (Read 9884 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »

Stereo all the way, to more distinctly hear all the instruments that Brian was directing.
I'd like to modify that: stereo for the above reason, and mono for sheer listening enjoyment. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »

Mono or any originally released version - I'm not a fan of retcon remixes over the originals.

Having said that, the majority of the stereo remixes are well executed and usually provide a different way of hearing these great songs.

Good: Gettin' Hungry (background harmonies in the middle bit I'd not heard clearly previously)

Bad: When I grow up (think that's more to do with the original recordings tho), 1st attempt at Cal Girls (as per the first run of the EH CD)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »

Mono or any originally released version - I'm not a fan of retcon remixes over the originals.

Having said that, the majority of the stereo remixes are well executed and usually provide a different way of hearing these great songs.

Good: Gettin' Hungry (background harmonies in the middle bit I'd not heard clearly previously)

Bad: When I grow up (think that's more to do with the original recordings tho), 1st attempt at Cal Girls (as per the first run of the EH CD)
Alan, the first EH had the Andrew Sandoval mix of California Girls. That stereo mix matches the mono 45 mix where the horns, drums and background vocals are more prominent in the mix. Linett's first try at it was on the revamped EH. That and his 2nd try both sound more like the mono LP mix.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 11:00:47 PM »

Great observations, drbeachboy, re the Sandoval mix sounding akin to the mono 45; & I was definitely referring to the AS mix as the "problematic" one for me (the above "bad"was a lazy choice of words).

It's been a time since I've dug it out, but I recall thinking the vox are out of sync with the track - could be a dog's ears thing or hazy memories.

Sounds like it could be high time to dust it off and have a fresh listen.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 06:24:19 AM »

Yep, Linett's first try at it was out of sync. The corrected mix showed up on Sounds of Summer and every compilation since.

Also, recheck out Sandoval's stereo mix of Kiss Me Baby on EH v1. Terrific mix, imho.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:30:19 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
halblaineisgood
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2014, 06:49:53 AM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:28:34 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »

Yes, that is the first release of EH. The second release of EH has the out of sync Linett mix. That mix was corrected back in sync on SOS.

If you listen to the mono California Girls on Greatest Hits, Vol 1. and the Summer Days LP mix, you will hear the differences. Then play the stereo Sandoval mix and the SOS Linett second mix and you'll hear the similarities.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 09:11:08 AM »

Yes, that is the first release of EH. The second release of EH has the out of sync Linett mix. That mix was corrected back in sync on SOS.

Well this certainly clears things up (I think).  I had always heard that the Sandoval mix was out of synch, but it sounds fine to me.  Made me wonder if I was slipping in my old age!

One thing in particular that I like about the Sandoval mix is that it seems to be a bit wider stereo than the more recent mixes.  Why do the stereo remixes seem to be getting narrower all the time? 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »

Generally in mono.

Pet Sounds needs to be in Stereo for everything to be heard.

The stereo version however does not nearly have the emotional impact for me that the mono version has. I mean, a human being does not work better if you place some of the inner organs on the left or right speaker so you can see them better. Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 11:35:28 AM »

Generally in mono.

The stereo version however does not nearly have the emotional impact for me that the mono version has. I mean, a human being does not work better if you place some of the inner organs on the left or right speaker so you can see them better. Shocked
Oh, like kidney's, lungs, tonsils, etc.? Wink Serious question, what does the mono have emotionally that the stereo lacks? I asked because emotionally the music affects me the same way whether I listen in mono or stereo. For me, the difference is only in sound quality; instruments and background vocals. Stereo separates them and makes them more clear, while mono squeezes everything down. For me the music is the emotion, not how it is/was recorded.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

Generally in mono.

Oh, like kidney's, lungs, tonsils, etc.? Wink Serious question, what does the mono have emotionally that the stereo lacks? I asked because emotionally the music affects me the same way whether I listen in mono or stereo. For me, the difference is only in sound quality; instruments and background vocals. Stereo separates them and makes them more clear, while mono squeezes everything down. For me the music is the emotion, not how it is/was recorded.

For want of a better term, the mono sounds "scrappier" to me, in terms of a tougher sound, including from Brian's vocals. This is one factor for me liking the mono mix. But I like the stereo better for overall sound.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »

Generally in mono.

I don't know, it's the way it is. Splattered over the stereo spectrum, my mind fails to put those clearer sounding parts together to that emotional experience the slightly muddled mono mix provides. If you experience the same affection with mono and stereo, that's fine, it just isn't the same for me, with Pet Sounds at least.

However, the stereo Darlin' I find more compelling than the original mono mix.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »

Generally in mono.

I don't know, it's the way it is. Splattered over the stereo spectrum, my mind fails to put those clearer sounding parts together to that emotional experience the slightly muddled mono mix provides. If you experience the same affection with mono and stereo, that's fine, it just isn't the same for me, with Pet Sounds at least.

However, the stereo Darlin' I find more compelling than the original mono mix.
Thanks for the answer! I agree too about the stereo mix of Darlin'. It jumps right out at you. One of the few times that a stereo mix is punchier than the mono mix.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,