gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:37:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Never Learn Not To Love is criminally under-appreciated  (Read 15358 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »

I have little to add, so I'll make it quick.

That argument I just read was absolutely ridiculous and I totally agree with Disney Boy.

Whoever wrote it, or whatever the guy did in his personal life is irrelevant to the music or art or film or whatever. I don't give a f***. Separate the art from the crimes, I say.

So I still enjoy Polanski's films (The guy's an excellent filmmaker, regardless of what he did to the 13 year old), and I'm perfectly fine to listen to Spector's masterpieces. And I've enjoyed what I've heard from Manson so far.

Bottom line, I find it to be unnecessarily over-sensitive, ignorant, and in some cases hypocritical to want to completely ignore or avoid a person's art - regardless of quality - because of what the person may have done outside his work. It shouldn't be overshadowed at all, it should be remembered equally at least. Simple.
RioGrande
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

Actually it was more than likely Manson took a stab at Shorty Shea so yes he did physically murder someone. Still, it has zero bearing on me enjoying his music. I wonder if Aldof wrote any good tunes?

The Internet is always surprising. I googled your spelling and got 61,100 results, first of them a Youtube video titled "Aldof Hitler".

I googled your username and all I got was sad jackass who seems to spend all his time on a board he can't stand with people he doesn't like.

I'll not take this further, due to respect for the 95% of good guys here, whom I like. You have already said more about yourself than I ever could, anyway.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »

P.S. you made a spelling mistake on one of the other threads.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RioGrande
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »

That argument I just read was absolutely ridiculous and I totally agree with Disney Boy.

Whoever wrote it, or whatever the guy did in his personal life is irrelevant to the music or art or film or whatever. I don't give a f***. Separate the art from the crimes, I say.

So I still enjoy Polanski's films (The guy's an excellent filmmaker, regardless of what he did to the 13 year old), and I'm perfectly fine to listen to Spector's masterpieces. And I've enjoyed what I've heard from Manson so far.

Bottom line, I find it to be unnecessarily over-sensitive, ignorant, and in some cases hypocritical to want to completely ignore or avoid a person's art - regardless of quality - because of what the person may have done outside his work. It shouldn't be overshadowed at all, it should be remembered equally at least. Simple.

"Ridiculous, unnecessarily over-sensitive, ignorant, and in some cases hypocritical"? Wow, LSM, way to respect other people's opinions.
RioGrande
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 08:19:55 AM »

Thanks. Glad to have made your day.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »

"Ridiculous, unnecessarily over-sensitive, ignorant, and in some cases hypocritical"? Wow, LSM, way to respect other people's opinions.

Well hey maybe that's just LSM's opinion - in which case shouldn't you, you know, respect it?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

Thanks. Glad to have made your day.

Quick I hear someone is "bashing" Al Jardine in another thread. Go RioGrande, UP UP AND AWAY!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
RioGrande
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:27 AM »

Well hey maybe that's just LSM's opinion - in which case shouldn't you, you know, respect it?

I draw a line here, too, between opinions and derogatory terms.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:25:21 AM by RioUnderBridge » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »

Well, how else would you describe your opinion?

Honestly, it's your loss. Such a shame you choose to completely overlook someone's work over what they did outside their music, which is totally irrelevant, but whatever  Grin
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 08:39:15 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:40:49 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »

This board used to be fun but now it just seems to be full of arseholes trying to start arguments and wind up other members. They just suck all the fun out of these debates. Whether they're deliberately being wankers or just mistakenly believe they're being amusing I really don't know, but man they are making things on here increasingly BORING!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 08:43:12 AM »

Love the production. In some ways 20/20 may be the "darkest" Beach Boys album, which is a strange thing to say about a record that starts things off with "Do It Again".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »

ol' Charlie just wasn't a very good songwriter in my opinion, and no amount of production can save the song from being mediocre at best. again, just my opinion.

it's a damn shame that The Beach Boys were including songs by Manson and excluding songs by Wilson on 20/20.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »

One of your stock AGD-esque phrases. These don't make you look smart.
And if you get mad at me , that means you're over-sensitive and hypocritical. Suck on that.

1st. Your comment is completely irrelevant and does nothing but derail the thread.
2nd. I'm not angry, after all why would I waste my energy on a low-life troll?
3rd. I won't reply to you further, and I recommend you do the same. You'll most likely ignore me and continue, but I suppose that shows you are incapable of growing up.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 08:49:30 AM »

This board used to be fun but now it just seems to be full of arseholes trying to start arguments and wind up other members. They just suck all the fun out of these debates. Whether they're deliberately being wankers or just mistakenly believe they're being amusing I really don't know, but man they are making things on here increasingly BORING!

I know how you feel man. But I urge you to stick around. Just ignore the arseholes and pretend they don't exist. It's easier said than done, though. I've always enjoyed your posts and I'm glad you created this thread.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

ol' Charlie just wasn't a very good songwriter in my opinion, and no amount of production can save the song from being mediocre at best. again, just my opinion.

it's a damn shame that The Beach Boys were including songs by Manson and excluding songs by Wilson on 20/20.

I wish they'd covered Look at Your Game Girl instead of Bluebirds Over The Mountain.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:17 AM »

Which specific Brian songs did they exclude from the album? "Old Man River" perhaps?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 08:52:27 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:40:59 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »

I think Dennis' production and re-write more than brings the song to life. The 'um-a-now, um-a-now, um-a-now-now-now' section is goosebumps-on-the-back-of-ya-neck territory. I love the sound of it, the feel of it - everything.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »

I think Dennis' production and re-write more than brings the song to life. The 'um-a-now, um-a-now, um-a-now-now-now' section is goosebumps-on-the-back-of-ya-neck territory. I love the sound of it, the feel of it - everything.

I read that the vocal chant on the fade is what the Manson clan used to chant while sitting around the campfire stoned.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »

I read that the vocal chant on the fade is what the Manson clan used to chant while sitting around the campfire stoned.

Really - or joke? Either way, I can honestly say it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the song (or the fade). The aforementioned 'um-a-now' section has always sounded a lot like the Love To Say Da Da/Cool Cool Water chant, only faster and more powerful.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »

For real, I'm racking my brain trying to remember where I read it.

RioGrande
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »

I just issued a request of account deletion. My presence is not good for this board, and seems to draw the worst from the resident trolls. Also have much better things to do, in fact. Well, nobody is perfect, and even I have my off moments. Cool Guy

I am posting this only to pre-empt any rumours that I have been banned.

My best wishes to the 90% of good guys here.

Rio
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »

I just issued a request of account deletion. My presence is not good for this board, and seems to draw the worst from the resident trolls. Also have much better things to do, in fact. Well, nobody is perfect, and even I have my off moments. Cool Guy

I am posting this only to pre-empt any rumours that I have been banned.

My best wishes to the 90% of good guys here.

Rio

Great, thanks for that. Right, so sticking to Never Learn Not To Love because that's what this thread is about...
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »

Is Brian on the track? Can anyone make him out?

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx