gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:39:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36900 times)
frenchsalter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »

I reluctantly went to M&B show this week in Huntsville since I live here, I'm hard core BB since 76 and have seen the group and Brian probably a dozen times since then but not M&B. I must say the show was very enjoyable for a few reasons, watching the skills of Scott Totten and John Cowsill (they are incredible musicians) as well as the photo montage that runs throughout the show. Stamos was there and while the posing is tedious I don't think it stain's the legacy (the group has done that on their own over the years). I agree with the comparison of the Stones trodding out guests as an equal or worst offence.  It is however cold water to the face to realize that there are very few hard cores attending these shows which is obvious when Pisces Brothers garners the most applause and it is crickets (maybe just out of respect) when Carl is featured on GOK.  Again glad I finally went and credit Mike for hiring some great talent and producing an enjoyable video montage.
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2014, 05:00:30 AM »

"Ive never seen a show with him, and the crowds were always lively and sometimes transported. But then, this was mostly in the UK."

I'm jealous almost every show venue in NY that I have attended forbids the fans from standing and dancing. It is the worst situation to be in.  How can 1000's of fans listen to Good Vibrations live and not dance???

I'll dig up my concert photos and post them so you all can witness my misery!!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

Setlist:

Do It Again
Goin' to the Beach
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Wendy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Pisces Brothers
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Be True to Your School
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA

(encores)
Kokomo
Fun Fun Fun

Realise i'm a bit late coming to this thread but... Jesus Christ, 'Goin' To The Beach' - as track 2?? Of all the songs... Can someone please remove Mike's head from his own anus please ASAP?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:20:11 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »

Realise i'm a bit late coming to this thread but... Jesus Christ, 'Goin' To The Beach' - as track 2?? Of all the songs... Can someone please remove Mike's head from his own anus please ASAP?

There`s a clip on Youtube from their recent show in Derry and the crowd actually give a really good response to this one. Seems fairly sensibly positioned as part of that opening group of surfing songs if they are going to play it.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »

Yep, I'd go along with that. I enjoyed it at the Jones Beach show. It's a fun, uptempo song that gets the crowd going.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »

Goin' to the Beach seems to fit nicely into the flow of that setlist. Plus, it's sort of a range-stretcher for Mike and probably good for warming up his voice for the show.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2014, 06:52:06 AM »

"Ive never seen a show with him, and the crowds were always lively and sometimes transported. But then, this was mostly in the UK."

I'm jealous almost every show venue in NY that I have attended forbids the fans from standing and dancing. It is the worst situation to be in.  How can 1000's of fans listen to Good Vibrations live and not dance???

I'll dig up my concert photos and post them so you all can witness my misery!!!

Ah, the old “I paid for a set, so I want to sit down VS. Rock and roll is about getting up and moving dancing” debate. I’ve seen this many a time on the interwebs. I think we had a few discussions here about that in the past as well.

Bottom line, dancing and standing in front of someone else, forcing them to stand if they want to see the show, is much more inconvenient and inconsiderate to those who don’t want to (or can’t in some cases can’t) stand versus how inconvenient it is for those who want to stand and dance to not be able to. Some people have medical issues that prevent them for standing for much or all of a show, medical issues that don't warrant taking a seat in the section reserved for wheelchairs, etc. If those people are stuck behind some ass who has to stand for the entire show, I'm very supportive of venues who prohibit this, even if the venue's reasoning is completely different.

My thinking is that if not dancing to music hinders your actual enjoyment of the music in question, then you probably enjoy dancing more than the music in the first place.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx