gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike, Bruce and Dave @ Jones Beach - July 5th  (Read 36891 times)
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »

Who sang lead on PPPG?

Smiley

Sounded like Scott but I was outside venue so I'm not sure.
'Twas indeed Scott, good ear.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 05:50:24 PM »

I really enjoyed myself, I thought it was a great show! And I never thought Bruce was such a laugh riot, that guy is hilarious! It was awesome getting to meet Mike, Bruce, and Dave. Class acts, all of them. And the weather today was perfect.

Sounds like Al missed a good show! Wink
A lot of people were expecting him there and some seemed disappointed that he wasn't. Obviously many folks had no idea he had backed out of the show.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »

Too much Stamos pimping.

Y'THINK??!!!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »

Setlist:

Do It Again
Goin' to the Beach
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Wendy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Pisces Brothers
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Be True to Your School
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA

(encores)
Kokomo
Fun Fun Fun
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »

Setlist:

Do It Again
Goin' to the Beach
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Wendy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Pisces Brothers
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Be True to Your School
Rock & Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA

(encores)
Kokomo
Fun Fun Fun

Summertime Blues was on stage set but was not played I think because of time restriction.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »

Did Bruce sing GOK? Or was it the Carl video?

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »

Looks like it's still the Carl video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbb-1M0AdZw
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »

Looks like it's still the Carl video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbb-1M0AdZw

This is an interesting setlist because it is definitely shorter than the average show, presumably because of it being a show with multiple acts performing. But with many songs cut, it's interesting to see how the leads are dispersed on the remaining songs:

Bruce: Wendy, first verse Sloop (shared?) and presumably the bridge on surfer girl (2-3)
David: DYWD (1)
Scott: Betsy (1)
John Stamos: forever (1)
John Cowsill: Rhonda (1)
Carl: GOK (1)
Randell: (0)
Jeff: GV, DWB, WIBN (shared?), kokomo (part)
Mike: 15.5 leads

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:01:54 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »

Man, it's really a ML solo show with him hogging all those leads.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »

In a normal-to-longer length set, the other guys get more leads. Lately, Scott has been doing The warmth of the Sun and sharing lead on Fools. John cowsill usually has Darlin, wild honey, cotton fields. I guess Randell only has Then I Kissed Her lately. And Bruce of course has Disney girls, DYWD (when David isn't there) and Summer means fun. I just found it interesting that those songs were chosen to be cut.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:38:48 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 12:45:05 AM »

Realistically though, shouldn't Mike be doing most of the leads since he's the only original Beach Boy in "The Bruce Boys?"
Nicko1234
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 01:09:28 AM »

This is an interesting setlist because it is definitely shorter than the average show, presumably because of it being a show with multiple acts performing. But with many songs cut, it's interesting to see how the leads are dispersed on the remaining songs:

Bruce: Wendy, first verse Sloop (shared?) and presumably the bridge on surfer girl (2-3)
David: DYWD (1)
Scott: Betsy (1)
John Stamos: forever (1)
John Cowsill: Rhonda (1)
Carl: GOK (1)
Randell: (0)
Jeff: GV, DWB, WIBN (shared?), kokomo (part)
Mike: 15.5 leads

I count Mike as singing 17 of the leads (including Kokomo).

Which, as Pinder so rightly says, is the way it should be to stop it turning into too much of a tribute show.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 01:18:15 AM »

Realistically though, shouldn't Mike be doing most of the leads since he's the only original Beach Boy in "The Bruce Boys?"
I like that name better than M&B. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 01:45:21 AM »

I count Mike as singing 17 of the leads (including Kokomo).

Which, as Pinder so rightly says, is the way it should be to stop it turning into too much of a tribute show.

Yeah you're right. I think I forgot to count Fun Fun fun, and counted kokomo as just a half lead.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 04:04:30 AM »

Love this pic of David in lions head with Bill O R & Mike -

halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 04:27:51 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:32:40 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 04:46:43 AM »

In a normal-to-longer length set, the other guys get more leads. Lately, Scott has been doing The warmth of the Sun and sharing lead on Fools. John cowsill usually has Darlin, wild honey, cotton fields. I guess Randell only has Then I Kissed Her lately. And Bruce of course has Disney girls, DYWD (when David isn't there) and Summer means fun. I just found it interesting that those songs were chosen to be cut.
Those songs would have definitely spiced up the setlist.  Sad  Was particularly hoping for Bruce on Disney Girls, but oh well!

Nicko1234
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »

Love this pic of David in lions head with Bill O R & Mike -

Love it.  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 05:09:59 AM »

Those songs would have definitely spiced up the setlist.  Sad  Was particularly hoping for Bruce on Disney Girls, but oh well!

Yes, even with the time constraint(s), I'm surprised that "Disney Girls" isn't a constant in the setlist. It serves a couple of purposes....it highlights Bruce, who hasn't written many BB songs, doesn't sing many leads live, gives Mike a rest, and spotlights arguably Bruce's shining hour with the BB. I'm also slightly surprised that "I Write The Songs" doesn't get performed more often.

IN MY OPINION, I like that Mike has so many leads. I prefer it when the original lead vocalist sings the lead vocals on the songs. I noticed that, other than Al's three leads, there was a shortage of original lead vocals on the songs that Brian performed the other night.

And, who would've thought that Mike & Bruce's setlist would feature more solo material than Brian's. Shocked
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:35:52 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 06:51:00 AM »

I really enjoyed myself, I thought it was a great show! And I never thought Bruce was such a laugh riot, that guy is hilarious! It was awesome getting to meet Mike, Bruce, and Dave. Class acts, all of them. And the weather today was perfect.

Sounds like Al missed a good show! Wink
A lot of people were expecting him there and some seemed disappointed that he wasn't. Obviously many folks had no idea he had backed out of the show.

And none of the folks here know that he did either because that's never been clarified.  We all wish that we knew what went down between all of them.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »

Those songs would have definitely spiced up the setlist.  Sad  Was particularly hoping for Bruce on Disney Girls, but oh well!

Yes, even with the time constraint(s), I'm surprised that "Disney Girls" isn't a constant in the setlist. It serves a couple of purposes....it highlights Bruce, who hasn't written many BB songs, doesn't sing many leads live, gives Mike a rest, and spotlights arguably Bruce's shining hour with the BB. I'm also slightly surprised that "I Write The Songs" doesn't get performed more often.

IN MY OPINION, I like that Mike has so many leads. I prefer it when the original lead vocalist sings the lead vocals on the songs. I noticed that, other than Al's three leads, there was a shortage of original lead vocals on the songs that Brian performed the other night.

And, who would've thought that Mike & Bruce's setlist would feature more solo material than Brian's. Shocked

I would also say that it appears the promotion for the show was placing as much of an emphasis as possible on “original members” being present for each of the bands. That’s probably one of the reasons Al and Dave were pursued by Live Nation. So, in addition to it being a shorter setlist, I would say it’s possible they didn’t hand as many leads as usual off to the sidemen so that the emphasis was on the main “original member” for the show. Just a guess.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »

I would also say that it appears the promotion for the show was placing as much of an emphasis as possible on “original members” being present for each of the bands. That’s probably one of the reasons Al and Dave were pursued by Live Nation. So, in addition to it being a shorter setlist, I would say it’s possible they didn’t hand as many leads as usual off to the sidemen so that the emphasis was on the main “original member” for the show. Just a guess.

I think it`s more down to the fact that the vast majority of Mike`s leads are songs that are considered `undroppable` from the set list. The only songs that are not classics are Goin to the Beach and Pisces Brothers and they have been ever presents recently. Some of the songs that Mike has sung recently like It`s OK, Dance Dance Dance and Kiss Me Baby were also omitted so all of the band members lost some leads.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »

Here are some of my thoughts on the show.

-- It was a fun night out, and I doubt anyone in the crowd left really disappointed.

-- As mentioned, I wish the setlist were a bit more varied and spicy. It was definitely a 'greatest hits' night, especially as compared to the C50 show I saw two years ago. I do understand that they were under time constraints, and that this 'oldies package' format with two other 60s pop bands pretty much guarantees a crowd showing up to hear the hits.

-- The stage was set up with cheesy palm trees all over it... quite a contrast from the C50 aesthetic, as were the ladies dancing onstage during a couple of songs. In my opinion, the music speaks for itself and I kind of wish they didn't feel the need to do that stuff.

-- Mike Love was fascinating to watch up close. His voice was very strong throughout, and he had amazing energy (as did Bruce), to be able to stand and even dance around a bit through the whole show. Really impressive job throughout.

-- I missed 'Disney Girls' from Bruce. He had a prominent position on stage, but did not get a showcase lead vocal all night.

-- David Marks seemed relegated to much more a sideman role than in C50, and with no big intro, I doubt almost anyone in the crowd knew that he was an original member.

-- Jeff Foskett on 'Don't Worry Baby' was a definite highlight and I continue to be puzzled why he gets no love on these boards. A nice sweet rendition of this song that the crowd really responded to.

-- John Stamos was irritating, and I could have done without the chitchat with him. BUT to his credit, before singing 'Forever' he did an intro where he namechecked each one of the original members (including all the Wilson brothers + Al) and thanked them for the years of great music. Other than that I don't think Brian was mentioned or shown onscreen a single time, which was kind of eerie. And the video during Forever was all Stamos, no Dennis Wilson, which seemed a bit tone-deaf to me given that GOK is set up as a tribute to Carl.

-- I liked Ballad of Ole Betsy a lot -- one of the real rarities, sung by Scott Totten with sweet backing harmonies from the rest of the guys. In general, the harmonies did not always have the richness and depth that I heard at Brian's concert last year, but they were quite lovely on this number.

-- In the context of the show, I really enjoyed Pisces Brothers as a change of pace from the cars/surf music. It seemed an unusual throwback to the more spiritual, introspective late 60s/early 70s Mike (I'd like to see more of that guy), and a reminder of the much wider range of moods and material the Beach Boys are capable of.

-- I hate to say it, as I really like Al and missed his presence at the show, but I thought John Cowsill was great on Rhonda. Dynamic stage presence with an unusually lower, deeper sound to the vocal, almost reminiscent of the early 70s BBs version with Carl on lead.

All in all it was an enjoyable show. If C50 was an A+ and Brian Wilson/Jeff Beck/Al&David last year was an A-, I'd probably have to give the show a B+, docked mostly for the hits-heavy setlist. But overall very glad I went.

Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »

Hi Everyone-

We had a great time at the Jones Beach show.  I, too regret that it was restricted to 90 minutes.  We were given a strict 10:30 curfew and we ended at 10:29.  We did our best to cover all the bases we could in that time schedule.  SJS, Disney Girls IS a staple of our normal-length shows, and is one of my favorites, but at nearly 5 minutes in length, we just couldn't squeeze it in this time.

Despite all that, it was a blast to play there and have David with us.

Scott
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »

Hi Everyone-

We had a great time at the Jones Beach show.  I, too regret that it was restricted to 90 minutes.  We were given a strict 10:30 curfew and we ended at 10:29.  We did our best to cover all the bases we could in that time schedule.  SJS, Disney Girls IS a staple of our normal-length shows, and is one of my favorites, but at nearly 5 minutes in length, we just couldn't squeeze it in this time.

Despite all that, it was a blast to play there and have David with us.

Scott
Scott, nice job on Betsy. Thanks for a fun night!   Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx