gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:59:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holiday With You  (Read 4561 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »

I posted a very raw version of this song here a long time ago and have finally had a chance to record it a bit better.  The timing gets away from me a bit, but it is a work in progress.  Forgive the canned drums, they are the only drums I know how to play.  Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/empireoflove/holiday-with-you-vii

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

EoL
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:57:22 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »

Catchy melody. Maybe the vocals should be louder.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:20:55 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »

Okay here goes...

Loved it, I think the vocals for the song very well. I'd personally make them a bit louder and add a tiny more reverb to them, considering they're mid range.

Stylistically, I really like mix, the dry feel you have going is nice!
I can't tell if you have a bass line yet... If you're interested I could take a swing at a hot bass line and send it your way if you send me some chords Smiley
I would consider adding a little reverb to the drums, but that's honestly stylistic and what you've got is great in a different way!

Going along with the style, I would recommend adding some nice harmonies, they'd fit beautifully with this style you've got here.

I love the story it tells, not many people worry about painting a storyboard for the listener, it's something I always try to do that you've really done here, awesome work.

So in conclusion, love it! Awesome work.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »

Thank you for the kind words FOTM...

Regarding the reverb on the drums: I have been using GarageBand and the latest version does not have the option to add reverb to MIDI drum tracks.  Strange, I know.  I've since downloaded Logic Pro X but have not had a chance to mess with the reverb in Logic.

Reverb on the vocals: there is a touch of reverb on the second vocal track (which is lower in the mix). 

Volume of vocals: I've taken your advice, and Rab's, and Swedish Frog's, and have increased the volume some on the vocals.  After I play around with the reverb and add a few other things I will upload a link to the revised version.  Any further comments are greatly appreciated.

Harmony: I wouldn't know where to begin.  Zach once posted links to some harmony tutorials on Youtube, but I lost the links before I could listen.  If you want to give it a shot and I will see if I can duplicate it, that would be great.

Bass: I don't have a bass line and have no idea how to come up with one.  Again, if you want to give it a shot please do.  I'll PM the chords to you ('cause the four chords I use are top secret).  Wink

Thanks for your comments regarding the story/lyrics.  Its not Bob Dylan but I like them anyway, I'm glad someone else does too.

EoL

zachrwolfe
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:07:50 PM by zatch » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:58 AM »

Zach that would be great.  If you need anything from me (chords, whatever) let me know.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:14:56 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:07:25 PM by zatch » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

Zach that would be great.  If you need anything from me (chords, whatever) let me know.

Ok great. How low/high can I get with the notes? If you're not sure check out a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IejHKpfHso

I haven't got much of a range so it might be best to do what sounds best, I can always find someone else to sing the harmonies.  I'll PM you a bit more info.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:07 AM »

Good stuff. The relaxed vocal with the guitar lines work well together. Would be good to hear some harmonies on top.

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »

MBW:  Thanks for listening.  I believe Zach is working on some harmonies and FOTM may be doing a bass line.  It would be nice to fill in the sound some.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx