gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:41:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4th of July is one HELL of a song.  (Read 28333 times)
RioGrande
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

Carl? "Whiny"?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »

Now I can't get "4th Of July" out of my head! Cheesy  

Was Dennis Wilson a genius? He definitely had "it". He had the "it" that Brian had. There's that beautiful quality in his music that just gets to you and makes you feel. And, Dennis spread his work around like Brian. He especially liked Carl's voice:

"All I Want To Do" - Mike lead vocal
"4th Of July" - Carl lead vocal
"Steamboat" - Carl Lead vocal
"Only With You" - Carl Lead vocal
"Baby Blue" - Carl & Dennis lead vocal

Here's another nice YouTube video of "4th Of July": http://youtu.be/SLgV9jm4IXY
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:22:17 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »

Dennis was one in a million.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:38:29 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:08:57 PM by zatch » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »

Was Dennis Wilson a genius? He definitely had "it". He had the "it" that Brian had.

I disagree.

Also, "genius" is so overused to the point that it hardly means anything anymore when it comes to music. They're much farther and fewer between than we make it seem. I believe Brian is a musical genius, and his work reflects that. The complexity, ingenuity, inventiveness - I think it all points to a superior adeptness in music.

However, I certainly wouldn't classify Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Andy Partridge, Neil Young, Ray Davies, Harry Nilsson, Tom Waits or people like that as geniuses.
Talented, yes. Geniuses, no.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:56:15 PM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »

Was Dennis Wilson a genius? He definitely had "it". He had the "it" that Brian had.

I disagree.

Also, "genius" is so overused to the point that it hardly means anything anymore when it comes to music. They're much farther and fewer between than we make it seem. I believe Brian is a musical genius, and his work reflects that. The complexity, ingenuity, inventiveness - I think it all points to a superior adeptness in music.

However, I certainly wouldn't classify Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Andy Partridge, Neil Young, Ray Davies, Harry Nilsson, Tom Waits or people like that as geniuses.

Brian himself said that Dennis was a genius in his own right

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 11:40:22 PM »

I disagree.

Then I disagree with Brian, too.
Not everyone has to be a genius.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:42:49 PM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »

Was Dennis Wilson a genius? He definitely had "it". He had the "it" that Brian had. There's that beautiful quality in his music that just gets to you and makes you feel.

Completely agreed. So glad this is being largely recognized in the last few years!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »

I disagree.

Wow, he did? That's awesome!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »

I disagree.

Careful Bubbly, I've been flamed in the past for daring to suggest that talented as he was, Dennis was no genius.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »

I disagree.

Careful Bubbly, I've been flamed in the past for daring to suggest that talented as he was, Dennis was no genius.

sometimes people just want to sit and listen to a nice simple song (like "Be Still" for instance instead of "Surfs Up").  everything doesn't have to be about "complexity".  for the people who don't have any music background at all probably won't think of a song along those lines.  if it makes them feel good they'll be satisfied.  and if there's one thing Dennis is known for it's making people feel what he was trying to say in his music.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »

I disagree.

sometimes people just want to sit and listen to a nice simple song (like "Be Still" for instance instead of "Surfs Up").  everything doesn't have to be about "complexity".  for the people who don't have any music background at all probably won't think of a song along those lines.  if it makes them feel good they'll be satisfied.  and if there's one thing Dennis is known for it's making people feel what he was trying to say in his music.

What you've said doesn't have anything to do with him being a genius.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »

I disagree.

sometimes people just want to sit and listen to a nice simple song (like "Be Still" for instance instead of "Surfs Up").  everything doesn't have to be about "complexity".  for the people who don't have any music background at all probably won't think of a song along those lines.  if it makes them feel good they'll be satisfied.  and if there's one thing Dennis is known for it's making people feel what he was trying to say in his music.

Agreed. And I find it ludicrous to suggest that the person who created POB and the highlights of 20/20, Sunflower and L.A. Light Album (okay, even I admit his work on CATP isn't exactly his best), as well as WIBNTLA isn't a genius!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:28:50 AM by Love Surrounds Me » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »

DW was good, but no genius. BW carried a whole band to success and glory from 1961-1967. Plus fleeting glimses from then on in various years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 12:42:53 AM »

Dennis was GREAT, I am a massive fan, but agree not a genius from a musical perspective - I think his talent and unique angle/appeal came from his ability to convey a ton of emotion and power in his songs/art - fuckin' amazing stuff, but I don't think Dennis broke new ground in the same way Brian did.

Nothing to fight over tho' - pretty lucky to have had both of them affect our musical lives.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:33 AM »

I disagree.

Exactly. I said that Brian (being the genius that he is) said that his brother was a genius in his own right.  he didn't have to say that but he did.  dennis wasn't on the same level as Brian but he was the closest one in the band to that.  and they both had two different styles.  I couldn't see Brian making an album like POB.  and just imagine what Dennis could've done if he was still alive today and had been able to battle his demons and come through the way Brian has.

-Dennis Wilson
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »

Judd is a genius.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »

Agreed! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:10 AM »

I find it ludicrous to suggest that the person who created POB and the highlights of 20/20, Sunflower and L.A. Light Album (okay, even I admit his work on CATP isn't exactly his best), as well as WIBNTLA isn't a genius!

Well, I would say that Brian created what are easily the highlights of those albums you mention.

Exactly. I said that Brian (being the genius that he is) said that his brother was a genius in his own right.  he didn't have to say that but he did.  dennis wasn't on the same level as Brian but he was the closest one in the band to that.  and they both had two different styles.  I couldn't see Brian making an album like POB.  and just imagine what Dennis could've done if he was still alive today and had been able to battle his demons and come through the way Brian has.

Once again, I will have to disagree with Brian.

Dennis never composed anything like "I Get Around" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Brian made grand-scale pop symphonies in 2 and half minutes that were musically and vocally complex, and yet they were perfectly listenable and were eaten up by a large audience. The complexity of his songs is sort of hidden and to show off these complexities is never the point of his songs. On the surface, it's simply great music. Yet when you look deeper, there's so much intelligence and inspiration to appreciate. The layers of intricacies is unlike any other pop/rock song-writer.

Dennis was fine - even talented - but he's not a genius. He made some good songs, some great songs, and some excellent songs, and that's all there is to it. Emotional resonance has nothing to do with whether or not he was a genius.

Perhaps we'll have to disagree on what constitutes a genius.

everything doesn't have to be about "complexity".  for the people who don't have any music background at all probably won't think of a song along those lines.

How can someone without any background/understanding of music actually know who is a musical genius?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:05:17 AM by Wuvvly Babes » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2014, 12:58:13 AM »

I disagree.

Exactly. I said that Brian (being the genius that he is) said that his brother was a genius in his own right.  he didn't have to say that but he did.  dennis wasn't on the same level as Brian but he was the closest one in the band to that.  and they both had two different styles.  I couldn't see Brian making an album like POB.  and just imagine what Dennis could've done if he was still alive today and had been able to battle his demons and come through the way Brian has.

Perhaps if Dennis didn't drown, overcame his demons, completed and released Bambu and continued making excellent music, then the idea that Dennis is a genius would be more widely accepted...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »

But he wasn't no matter what he did. BW's production of hits in his prime is unmatched by anybody.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2014, 01:04:45 AM »

Dennis never composed anything like "I Get Around" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

Umm... there's I'm Going Your Way and Slip On Through, which both beat I Get Around IMO.

And as for WIBN, there's WIBNTLA, and River Song, and Thoughts Of You, and etc.

I can understand if a lot of people disagree, but there are people who would agree.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »

Umm... there's I'm Going Your Way and Slip On Through, which both beat I Get Around IMO.

no

bluesno1fann
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »

no

And that is your opinion...
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »

Some people are just born with a gift--that's Brian, we all know that.  Denny's songwriting and music developed over time getting better and better almost getting to the point of reaching Brian's level.  Brian had a lot of people who backed him up and supported everything he did, meanwhile dennis didn't always get that same support (especially since his stuff wasn't "commercial enough") so he didn't have the confidence.

and to answer your question Bubbly Waves, someone who doesn't have a musical background probably will not be concerned whether or not the artist they're listening to is a genius or not. if the song makes them feel good, they'll be satisfied.   like I said Dennis had a way of making the listener feel what he was singing about, sometimes even more so than Brian did  Shrug.  sorry.

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx