gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:25:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4th of July is one HELL of a song.  (Read 28309 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

Agreed Mike's beard, POB was DW going all out with his songbag that he built in the 1970s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »

my side is--people don't have to love everything Dennis ever wrote, but attacking him with whatever Brian has done is pointless because 1. Brian and Dennis had two different styles.

But what keeps cropping up in your arguements is you claim Dennis is a genius just like Brian, then when people disagree with that statement you say it's unfair to compare Dennis to Brian - you can't have it both ways.

2. Dennis is gone now and his talent never reached it's full potential thanks to battling personal demons and insecurity due to the lack of support from the band at the time.  

Again I'd disagree and say he reached his full potential with POB, no way was he ever going to better that.

I said that he was the closest one who came to Brian's level and I said that Brian himself stated that Dennis is a genius in his own right.  "takes one to know one" right?  and what about Bambu?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »

4th of July is a good song that obviously never reached it's full potential

Same could be said for a lot of Dennis's songs

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »

To be fair, it was never completed.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

Why are you guys getting so defensive, I call it as I hear it. BW wrote whole albums of classics, while DW made the best BBs album never made (POB)

never really got all the hoopla over POB. Love You is where it is at for me.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

thank you

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

Why are you guys getting so defensive, I call it as I hear it. BW wrote whole albums of classics, while DW made the best BBs album never made (POB)

never really got all the hoopla over POB. Love You is where it is at for me.
I was expressing my opinion since love you is one of my favorite albums from any artist.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2014, 08:27:43 PM »

Is the scheduled freakout over Denny finished? Got it you love him so do most of us.

I really want to hear the version of 4th of July with the guitar playing the lead. Sounds pretty nest.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »

Can we get back to talking about 4th of July please?

Listen, different people have different tastes. Sometimes when you really love something/someone, it's hard to comprehend when others feel differently (I've a friend who loathes the Beach Boys and - I've discovered - nothing I ever say, do or play him will change his mind).

Some of us rate Dennis incredibly highly - equal to or almost equal to his big bro - and I rank as one of them. When I listen to River Song or Thoughts of You and then listen to the music Brian was making during the same period... get outta here!! No contest. But this is just my opinion.

Whether i like it or not, other people are always going to feel differently on such matters, no matter how incomprehensible their tastes may seem to me. But that's just the way it is. So just be confident in your own innate good taste, everyone, and don't get so offended by the opinions of strangers. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »

Can we get back to talking about 4th of July please?

Listen, different people have different tastes. Sometimes when you really love something/someone, it's hard to comprehend when others feel differently (I've a friend who loathes the Beach Boys and - I've discovered - nothing I ever say, do or play him will change his mind).

Some of us rate Dennis incredibly highly - equal to or almost equal to his big bro - and I rank as one of them. When I listen to River Song or Thoughts of You and then listen to the music Brian was making during the same period... get outta here!! No contest. But this is just my opinion.

Whether i like it or not, other people are always going to feel differently on such matters, no matter how incomprehensible their tastes may seem to me. But that's just the way it is. So just be confident in your own innate good taste, everyone, and don't get so offended by the opinions of strangers. 

Totally agreed. Let's move on.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »

4th of July really is a nice song

-Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2014, 02:05:52 AM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 08:04:25 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2014, 02:11:47 AM »

You can't move on from the original topic, which was about the song 4th Of July...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2014, 02:12:46 AM »

You can't move on from the original topic, which was about the song 4th Of July...
RioGrande
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »

I hear in Denny's songs a "golden touch" like Brian had, though in a different way. That includes 4th of July.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »

Wen I first started liking the Beach Boys I scorned anything that was post-Smile.

I got the GV 30 year boxset because I heard it had Smile tracks on it, but I gave the whole thing a courtesy listen.

I was ho-hum about everything post-Smile and smirking to myself until I heard 4th of July. I had no idea who wrote it, but it demanded my attention when it came on. I still remember precisely where I was driving when I first heard it back in 2006 (3300 south and 500 east in Salt Lake City). I programmed the cd player to repeat and I listened to it over and over again for the next 45 minutes; my jaw fallen to the floor. yeah, it made an impression.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

Wen I first started liking the Beach Boys I scorned anything that was post-Smile.

I got the GV 30 year boxset because I heard it had Smile tracks on it, but I gave the whole thing a courtesy listen.

I was ho-hum about everything post-Smile and smirking to myself until I heard 4th of July. I had no idea who wrote it, but it demanded my attention when it came on. I still remember precisely where I was driving when I first heard it back in 2006 (3300 south and 500 east in Salt Lake City). I programmed the cd player to repeat and I listened to it over and over again for the next 45 minutes; my jaw fallen to the floor. yeah, it made an impression.

Yep, sounds about right. I'd liked the BB's for a while when I first bought the GV box but not yet enough to know all the history and who was who etc. So to me 4th of July was just another unreleased track on CD 3. Games Two Can Play and I Just Got My Pay - yeah they were light-hearted melodic fun but pretty throwaway, I could see why they hadn't made it onto an album. Same with HELP. And then.... then 4th of July came on. It just floored me. I was instantly smitten and have remained so ever since. The gorgeous melody, the lyrics and Carl's vocal have - I'm not ashamed to admit - been known to bring tears to my eyes. Ah, it kills me how much this should have been on Surf's Up!! Sad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:28:18 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

Great posts, Pixletwin and Disney Boy, I can totally relate.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »

Yep, sounds about right. I'd liked the BB's for a while when I first bought the GV box but not yet enough to know all the history and who was who etc. So to me 4th of July was just another unreleased track on CD 3. Games Two Can Play and I Just Got My Pay - yeah they were light-hearted melodic fun but pretty throwaway, I could see why they hadn't made it onto an album. Same with HELP. And then.... then 4th of July came on. It just floored me. I was instantly smitten and have remained so ever since. The gorgeous melody, the lyrics and Carl's vocal have - I'm not ashamed to admit - been known to bring tears to my eyes. Ah, it kills me how much this should have been on Surf's Up!! Sad

Really good stuff, guys. And Jon (as usual) nailed it. Dennis' gifts to us are arguably more precious because they were so much more unexpected in the wake of the BBs massive success. While the chance of a "second act" spearheaded by Dennis' songs was always remote, most of us grant him the actual, viable possibility of such a phenomenon as the lost artifacts of his work finally become accessible to us.

It's clear right from the get-go, with "Be Still," that Dennis had a separate path in his songwriting that would prove to be as ambitious in its own way as Brian's. We see glimpses of it from time to time, and "4th of July" is another major manifestation of that. It's a terrible shame that such a work, with the depth of feeling, with such a wonderful melody, and with all of the ingredients to be a dynamic ballad (fill in the BBs harmonies inside your head and extrapolate along with me...), is only extant in such a cobbled-together version. We're so very lucky to have that, and we should thank the powers-that-be from the GV box set timeframe for going the extra mile to make it available to us.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »

Swedish Frog is a genius.

You can't block me.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:51:15 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »

Again, great song. I must be lucky, I hear no sloppy vocal, I hear no unfinishedness.

Please delete my account
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »

I love how well 4th of July fits with the other SU tracks. The whole band was really on the same page with that album, and it is a damn shame neither of Dennis' songs made it...the album is much better with 4th and WIBNTLA in the tracklist.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »

Whenever I read these kinda debates about 2 sides convincing one another, I can't help finding 'em funny (no irony). You all did that with so much effort, in a life-determining way.

Dennis is by no means a genius & drastically differs from Brian. The fact that the latter gets compared to Mozart says sth., even though some would find it silly as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »

Again, great song. I must be lucky, I hear no sloppy vocal, I hear no unfinishedness.

Ditto. If it weren't for reading about it on here, I'd never have had any indication that the song was unfinished or that Carl's vocal was 'rough'. I think sometimes people readjust their radars once they learn extra info about a song i.e. 'oh, it was just a demo was it? Hmmm now that I listen to it again I can hear that...'
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »

Carl's delivery bothered me the first time I heard it. Learning that it was a scratch vocal, things made sense.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx