gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:55:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Bruce hanging out with Lennon/McCartney as often as he claims?  (Read 3138 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »

According to Bruce, he was the one who solely introduced Lennon and McCartney to both Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations. Is this fact or massive exaggeration? Was he really hanging around these guys that often in 1966? Did they really have multiple private listening sessions together whenever the Beach Boys were on the verge of releasing groundbreaking material? Do these stories have credibility? Does McCartney even know who Bruce is?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:54:04 PM by Smile4ever » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:13:14 PM »

Now that you mention it, I have never heard a quote from John or Paul about "Good Vibrations". We know they listened to Pet Sounds in Bruce's hotel room (supposedly twice) and then went on to record "Here There & Everywhere" the next day. What do you suppose they thought of "Good Vibrations"? I suppose the logical answer would be "Strawberry Fields Forever".
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »

Now that you mention it, I have never heard a quote from John or Paul about "Good Vibrations". We know they listened to Pet Sounds in Bruce's hotel room (supposedly twice) and then went on to record "Here There & Everywhere" the next day. What do you suppose they thought of "Good Vibrations"? I suppose the logical answer would be "Strawberry Fields Forever".

The only time I can recall Paul mentioning it, was in 1990 when David Leaf interviewed him for the Pet Sounds CD debut.

David: FROM THAT SAME PERIOD, HOW ABOUT "GOOD VIBRATIONS”?

PAUL: "I thought it was a great record. It didn't quite have the emotional thing that Pet Sounds had for me. I’ve often played Pet Sounds and cried. It's that kind of an album for me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:54:22 AM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »

I haven't heard Bruce ever claim he hung around with Lennon and McCartney on multiple occasions.  He mentioned being introduced to them by Keith Moon when he was over here promoting Pet Sounds, where he played them the album in his hotel suite.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:29 AM »

According to Paul in his 1990 interview with David Leaf, he first heard "Good Vibrations" courtesy of Brian, who had brought it to Derek Taylor's LA home when he (Paul) was visiting.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »

Someone needs to bone up on their Beach Boys basics: Bruce has never mentioned meeting John and Paul more than once, nor ever playing them "GV".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »

While on topic, where did McCartney say that God Only Knows was his favourite song of all time? I have read interviews where he has praised it, but can't recall him putting it at #1.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »

Someone needs to bone up on their Beach Boys basics: Bruce has never mentioned meeting John and Paul more than once, nor ever playing them "GV".

And that someone--in this case--may be you. Bruce is quoted as saying that he introduced "Good Vibrations" to Lennon and McCartney in the official Beach Boys yearbook that came along with the Made in California box set. In that case, he played and sang the song for them (not the record), and claims they hit the floor, I would assume in awe/frustration that they would have to keep up with a beautiful piece of music.

The Pet Sounds meeting is frequently cited, but I've never heard the story of GV until it was released in that official book. Theoretically this may have been the same meeting (and I'd assume it likely was).
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »

Found this Derek Taylor story which says Brian played it first (unfinished) to Paul. Date would be around the Aug 28 Beatles concert.

https://music.yahoo.com/blogs/rocks-backpages/the-rocks-backpages-flashback-paul-mccartney-drops-in-on-the-beach-boys.html

The lights were low in the house, the Los Angeles basin twinkled blue, red-gold and silver, and we had Glenn Miller's Latest Hits softly on the record player. "Hi," said Brian and the Wilsons. "Hello," said Paul and added: "Well, you're Brian Wilson and I'm Paul McCartney so let's get that out of the way and have a good time." Brian laughed and said, "Would you like to hear a dub?"

He played the extraordinarily fascinating "Good Vibrations" and it impressed Paul, who asked for the dub "as a souvenir." Brian said he'd rather not part with it. He wasn't completely happy with the sound. Oh well. It didn't matter that much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:42:59 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:42:57 PM »

Please tell that to Keith Badman who says Mike & Bruce were at the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour costume part at the end of 1967 and joined some members of the Beatles on stage to jam an impromptu version of "Sloop John B". What an amazing claim! So, is it not fiction?

Which leads me to my next question, how much exactly did Keith Badman invent for his book? And for what purpose? I feel that this subject alone merits it's own thread but I hate to put it out there when we have so many recent threads about Dennis Wilson songs to keep us annoyed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »

Quite a bit of the Badman book was fabricated or erroneous, except of course the social security numbers shown...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »

Quite a bit of the Badman book was fabricated or erroneous, except of course the social security numbers shown...

Yes, mine has the social security numbers in it. What bugs me is what a fantastic layout this book has. It's on par with something by Mark Lewisohn or Andrew Sandoval with the beautiful pictures and chronological information. To know it's tainted with misinformation is yet another scar to fans of this band.

Here is the entry for Thursday, December 21st, 1967:

On their last night in London, Mike and Bruce attended the Beatles' costume party at the Westbourne Suite of the Royal Lancaster Hotel in west London, held to celebrate the group's recently completed film Magical Mystery Tour, which is due for it's television premiere on BBC-1 on the 26th. Singers Cilla Black and Lulu and actor Robert Morley are among the other celebrities in attendance. At the end of the night the two Beach Boys jump on stage and perform an impromptu performance of 'Sloop John B' with members of The Beatles. Mike and Bruce return home to California the following morning to spend Christmas with their families.

I mean, sounds exciting, right? Is there any truth to this at all? I have researched all of my Beatles books (for instance) about this night, and there is never a mention about the two Beach Boys aka Mike and Bruce.

Huh
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:57 PM »

Eddie Deezen was (not) there and had some photos. Not all guests are pictured. There are no pics of George, for instance. He has a website with a link to contact him. Maybe someone here can ask him and see if he remembers and if he'll reply.  (I misread the post on neatorama and thought he was on old guy who was there, but he does seem to have a lot of info and pics.) If the Beatles partied with Monkees, they weren't that snobby.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:01:52 PM by KittyKat » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »

Eddie Deezen was (not) there and had some photos. Not all guests are pictured. There are no pics of George, for instance. He has a website with a link to contact him. Maybe someone here can ask him and see if he remembers and if he'll reply.  (I misread the post on neatorama and thought he was on old guy who was there, but he does seem to have a lot of info and pics.) If the Beatles partied with Monkees, they weren't that snobby.

Thanks for the tip, KittyKat. I found this (after a quick Google):

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/08/23/The-Embarrassing-Magical-Mystery-Tour-Party/#!bhbG8R

Great story about John Lennon and Lulu. No mention of Beach Boys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »

The band played a UNICEF gala in Paris on 12/15/67. Could have been in London six days later but when I asked Bruce about meeting J & P at Epsom last night, he didn't mention it. Did mention seeing them in Chicago summer 1966, though.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:22 AM »

The only claim I've seen so far of Mike & Bruce jamming "Sloop John B" with the Beatles was Keith Badman's book. No wonder nobody takes him seriously.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 02:13:13 AM »

Bruce was the Walrus.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx