gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:36:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: O.k. 'splain this to me: What keeps Al from playing with Mike whenever he wants?  (Read 29520 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

It seems that not only there are some "intellectual" types here who think pubs are beneath them, but they also have no idea what a "pub" can be. There are enormous and beautiful pubs, in Ireland, Scotland and elsewhere, where there is live music by performers ranging from good local groups with moderate international following, to the great Chieftains.  

Extolling the magnificence of wineries vs. pubs is a bit ridiculous, though I understand that the equation here is WINERY: where the Exalted M & B Beach Boys play - PUB: where negligible "Hired hands" (according to AGD) like Brian's Band play.

Now excuse me, I'm off to the nearest pub to quaff a pint or two, exchange rough jokes with the other commoners there and listen to some jigs (no, it's NOT a misspelling for "gigs"). Evil

Some of the most revered, longstanding venues for live music in Nashville, for example, are pubs, coffee houses, cafes, restaurants!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »

I don't know if we're getting into splitting hairs as to what is what, but a bar (probably not a pub) in Minneapolis, The Uptown, was one of the greatest venues in town here through some of the city's greatest eras. It was demolished a few years back to build an Apple Store or some sh*t, but it was a fantastic shithole with a wonderful breakfast and a spectacular history. Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, not to mention more great touring acts than you can imagine. Nothing special ... but really special. I was proud to play there ... sometimes for a couple dozen people. Hence me not being on the list of greats to play there!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

It seems that not only there are some "intellectual" types here who think pubs are beneath them, but they also have no idea what a "pub" can be. There are enormous and beautiful pubs, in Ireland, Scotland and elsewhere, where there is live music by performers ranging from good local groups with moderate international following, to the great Chieftains.  

Extolling the magnificence of wineries vs. pubs is a bit ridiculous, though I understand that the equation here is WINERY: where the Exalted M & B Beach Boys play - PUB: where negligible "Hired hands" (according to AGD) like Brian's Band play.

Now excuse me, I'm off to the nearest pub to quaff a pint or two, exchange rough jokes with the other commoners there and listen to some jigs (no, it's NOT a misspelling for "gigs"). Evil

And Brian also plays at wineries. Found an online expired ad for a past Brian winery gig. Complete with dinner.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »

And Brian also plays at wineries. Found an online expired ad for a past Brian winery gig. Complete with dinner.

I'm not sure why this needs to be reiterated. I mentioned a few posts back that Brian has played the Mountain Winery in Saratoga at least three times.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »

Nothing wrong with playing wineries.  I've seen some good shows at wineries including the venue name checked in the above posting.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
RioGrande
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:49 AM »

As reiterating is the new name of originality, I'll be original too and reiterate that there's nothing wrong in playing pubs, either. Even commoners should have the right to their fleeting moment in the Sun.  Even in sorry 2014. Angry   
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »

I don't know if we're getting into splitting hairs as to what is what, but a bar (probably not a pub) in Minneapolis, The Uptown, was one of the greatest venues in town here through some of the city's greatest eras. It was demolished a few years back to build an Apple Store or some sh*t, but it was a fantastic shithole with a wonderful breakfast and a spectacular history. Replacements, Husker Du, Soul Asylum, not to mention more great touring acts than you can imagine. Nothing special ... but really special. I was proud to play there ... sometimes for a couple dozen people. Hence me not being on the list of greats to play there!

The Dakota is a cool place too although not like the Uptown was.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »

It's great--including the food in general and happy hour wine specials in particular--but a totally different thing. Uptown was a (glorious) shithole. The Dakota is pretty nice.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »

the Mountain Winery at Saratoga is a primo venue.  I saw Mikes band there twice under the California stars.  An ideal place.    And by the way, Steely Dan is playing a two night gig there in a couple of days .   the wine and dinner package takes place at the winery before the show.   I guess performers can opt to eat with the elite venue supporters if they wish.
for me, the better option is to take a picnic with a bottle of wine and sit on the mountainside overlooking Silicon Valley for and hour or so before entering the venue.   
many of the regular attendees of the concert series  do this for every show. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx