gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:03:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHAT IF....  (Read 1813 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »

What if Jan Berry had not been critically injured on Dead Man's Curve on April 12 1966?  Were Jan & Dean about "finished" or were they headed for greater heights? Recent singles had turned away from the Surf, selling less, but the CARNIVAL OF SOUND album would likely have taken shape for release around 1967. Any theories on the future of Jan & Dean in a world without that terrible accident?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:48:53 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »

Best case : they might have eked out a couple of minor hit singles 66-67.

'Carnival of Sounds' would have been a career killer -- their 'Smiley Smile'. J&D lacked the credibility to cross over to the counter-culture audience.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »

Jan and Dean probably would have faded like the Beatles of Hey Jude. I don't think Carnival Of Sound ranks even close to Smile........maybe or maybe not better than Smiley Smile......and not as good as Wild Honey, even with its minimal production. And Save For A Rainy Day was all Dean. Hard to say what would have happened without the accident, but one thing is certain, both of them would NOT have given up trying to get a new hit single or album. Even WITH the accident, both of them tried very hard (in spite of threatening lawsuits) to get back on track to recover their glory days. Mark Moore has a new book coming out in 2015 that I'm looking forward to - just the title alone sounds enticing.

Excellent article here about the post-accident days:

http://www.carnivalofsound.com/carnival-article-moore.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:49:56 AM »

Carnival of Sound is an interesting album rather than a good one. Interesting to see Jan & Dean try grab the counter-culture audience but it seems rather phoney. Another case of a clean cut group saying 'groovy, far out man, look at me I'm a hippy'. I doubt if it had of come out at the time many people would have fallen for it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »

Jan could conceivably have had a post-J&D career similar to Steve Barri, Gary Usher or Terry Melcher, as a songwriter, producer, record exec. J&D as a recording act would have packed it in by 1970 at the latest.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

As much as I love J&D, if the Beach Boys couldn't convince the general public after '67 then J&D had zero chance. After Sgt Pepper came out I think people viewed the old surf and beach bands as corny and old fashioned, irrelevant basically. Can you imagine The Sunrays trying to continue their success during the fuzzy haze of Iron Butterfly and Blue Cheer?

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx