gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:58:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Bobby Womack  (Read 3749 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

Details are skechy

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bobby-womack-dead-at-70-20140627

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »

Oh, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  Cry

His last album was great, it's sad we won't see another.

Rest in peace, Mr. Womack.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »

Well, this is one big surprise. I quite like his song "It's All Over Now" through the Stones version.

R.I.P.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

Another great song of his is "Across 110th Street" which was featured in the movies Across 110th Street and Jackie Brown.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »

Well, this is one big surprise. I quite like his song "It's All Over Now" through the Stones version.

R.I.P.
Ive actually been working on a cover of it, and in fact was taking a break when I read the news.  Freaking crazy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:16:16 AM »

RIP

Here's an obit with a 2012 interview: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/bobby-womack-rip.html
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:48:20 AM »

This is really sad.  I get up fresh every morning, and it's like oh, another death.  This is getting to be too much.  It's hard on my heart.  After brother Phil, I just stopped posting about it.  Not so sure writing about it will make me feel better.  But yes, rest in peace gentle souls.
I know death is part of life, but too many of my favorite human beings have been dying in the past year.  Three of my very favorite actors, James Gandolfini, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and especially Bob Hoskins.  I couldn't bring myself to post on those.  I loved J.J. Cale too.  So, this is for Bobby, but those guys too. 
Bobby was great, and a big influence on some of my very favorite music makers.  I did go over to youtube and listened to "Across 110th Street," but couldn't play another one.   
I'm blue.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
danieljack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:04:22 AM »

Bobby was the MAN he was a mix between r&b & soul there was no human like him and there will never be another womack all day tomorrow R.I.P you deserve it brother thanks for all the great music if you think y’all lonely tonight wait til tonight God bless his family

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »

This is really sad.  I get up fresh every morning, and it's like oh, another death.  This is getting to be too much.  It's hard on my heart.  After brother Phil, I just stopped posting about it.  Not so sure writing about it will make me feel better.  But yes, rest in peace gentle souls.
I know death is part of life, but too many of my favorite human beings have been dying in the past year.  Three of my very favorite actors, James Gandolfini, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and especially Bob Hoskins.  I couldn't bring myself to post on those.  I loved J.J. Cale too.  So, this is for Bobby, but those guys too. 
Bobby was great, and a big influence on some of my very favorite music makers.  I did go over to youtube and listened to "Across 110th Street," but couldn't play another one.   
I'm blue.

I feel ya feelsflow, it's hard on the heart.  I don't know why we get so attached to people we've never met, I think it's because they represent something to us, and when we hear that they're gone it makes us think that it takes away whatever they represent to us. 

For instance, if anything ever happend to Brian it'd be crushing, but since we dont' know him personally we'd really be crying for all the beautiful memories and the warmth and happiness his music inspired in us all these years, as if IT were gone instead of just 1 man. 

Still sucks though.  Think about it this way, what a horrible day it would be if you woke up, heard about somebody dying, AND DIDN'T FEEL ANYTHING.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts Ron.  My first reaction is to just stop.  Either listening to the music or watching the movies.  Most folks run out and buy stuff, I don't.
When J. J. Cale and Gandolfini died I had an order in for that 1979 DVD/CD live Cale/Russell package I'd not gotten the first time it was released, and a Gandolfini film.  They arrived, and I couldn't bring myself to watch them for weeks (Cale) and several months (Gandolfini).  It changes the way I look at the artist.  Remembering way back to the sudden deaths (in a one-two punch) of first Clarence White, and then Gram Parsons in 1973 sent me reeling.  It took me years to get over the loss, in a way you never do.  They were both young and still in their prime, so was I (21).  It's just some of the deaths are harder to deal with.  I never got to see either of them live.  At the time I was making one of my early attempts at living in my home state (Louisiana), and going to college.  Loved living near my parents, but it was so difficult to see acts there.  You had to drive many miles to see the shows.  The reason I didn't get to see the Beach Boys growing up - who wanted to come to northern Louisiana?.  I put college on hold and moved back to California (had spent about six months there and in Hawaii after High School in 1970/71).  I didn't need more education for what I was doing at the time (making jewelry/hand made pottery - working craft fairs in the south-east).  I set up a situation in my home in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and was able to explore my real love.  Music. 
That was then.  Now I'm an old man, and that plays heavily into all this.  I'm just tired of it.  My parents are gone, and one of my brothers - my younger brother.  You have to deal with so many of your heroes dying too.  I cried like a baby when Dennis died.  I still have photos of tv screen shots I took of the press conference (didn't have a vcr back then).   When Carl passed I was in the middle of moving from the West to the East Coast.  I already had my plane tickets and most everything packed.  It was like losing a brother to me.  You have to mourn your way out of it on your own.  I still have trouble playing that last record he did.  One of my reasons for leaving California, and up-rooting myself from the place I'd lived for twenty years, was the death of Laura Nyro in April 1997.  I just seem to want to change my surroundings.  I guess that sounds strange, but I've given you two examples of doing just that.
So, since joining this board it's always in my face.  Every time someone dies, somebody is going to post it.  Some of these artists lived a long productive life, which I can deal with better, though Jonh Martyn was a tough one to handle.  Others, just not enough time to enjoy their talent.  I have no idea what it will be like for me, and this board, when we lose Brian.  I hope not for many years.  I don't have another move in me.
I'm doing the best I can, as James Taylor once wrote "Everybody Has the Blues" sometimes, and that day caught me in it.  I still have many loved ones to hold on to, and memories of the rest.  Memories are powerful, I've lightened up in the past month.  Maybe I should post in Bubbly's Non-Death Thread...but probably won't.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »

That's tough... I have to admit upfront I haven't had that serious of a reaction to anybody famous dying.  You must have a big heart Feelsflow!

I know an old man (he's 80) who's a very interesting character... he always has a weird way of looking at things, I've learned a lot from him.  He's a little cranky, and always complaining about something.  One day, he was complaining to me because a friend of his had called and told him that someone died.  He was so mad; he said "Why'd he even call me to tell me that?  I could have went on the rest of my life thinking he was still alive!"

The big deaths that stick out in my mind are first and foremost Michael Jackson.  I was a HUGE fan of his and was absolutely brokenhearted when he died.  It literally felt similar to when family members have died.  I still don't listen to his music since he's gone.  To me though, the biggest thing with that is, he died such a pitiful creature with such a horrid reputation, it was completely unnatural and not how his life was supposed to go.  God didn't make him so great, to go out like that.  Horrible.  

John Denver is another one.  When he died I wasn't really that conscious of it... but as the years have gone by, everytime I hear a song of his it makes me so damn sad.  

I think since they're celebrities and we don't actually know them, it's hard to go through the typical grief stages that you do with a friend or family member when you lose them.  Eventually the way you come to terms with it... is you basically just try to forget that they're gone.  It's easy to imagine Michael Jackson as still alive, I never talked to him or anything and only knew him from his music, which is still around.  

It's a human condition; you have the ability as a human to feel for somebody, to imagine what their death means for the future, to imagine all the great things and times that they could have contributed to your life if they only wouldn't have died.  Dogs don't imagine that; elephants don't imagine that.  It's only us humans that have the capacity for so much compassion that when one of our loved ones dies, we get sick about it... and if it gets bad enough, it can kill us too!  What an incredible amount of empathy.  

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:46:21 PM by Ron » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx