gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:46:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen or read an interview with Ed Carter?  (Read 2995 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

I was just wondering if an interview has ever been published or posted with Ed Carter?

Anyone know?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »

He was interviewed in bb fun years ago. I tried to interview him for my book but he's a pretty private guy. I think he's pretty loyal and not interested in telling anything too revealing
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

He was interviewed in bb fun years ago. I tried to interview him for my book but he's a pretty private guy. I think he's pretty loyal and not interested in telling anything too revealing
Ed gave me an interview for my Dennis book back in 1999, but as Ian said he's very careful when it comes to on the record quotes. I think the guys from his era had to sign some kind of non-disclosure or privacy agreements when contracted with the group. He was still aware in '99 that whatever he had signed years earlier could be legally dangerous if he revealed too much. I think this was the case with Mike Meros too, who I also interviewed for that book. Mike's  off the record opinions were , shall we say, somewhat colorful...but on the record he kept it similar to Ed, not real deep.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it.

In this case it may be hard to believe but I was interested in some info regarding Ed as a musician (guitars, amps, influences, etc.) as opposed to a witness to some of the most over the top band drama ever, LOL!

I find him to be an outstanding musician, I wish someone (Guitar Player magazine?) would have interviewed him over the years from that perspective.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it.

In this case it may be hard to believe but I was interested in some info regarding Ed as a musician (guitars, amps, influences, etc.) as opposed to a witness to some of the most over the top band drama ever, LOL!

I find him to be an outstanding musician, I wish someone (Guitar Player magazine?) would have interviewed him over the years from that perspective.

The BBFUN interview is pretty good in that respect. It's in two parts. Maybe it's scanned in the media section of this site?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

Old interview here.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=894&dat=19970820&id=z7oKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gU0DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6477,2965721
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »

Interesting to see that Ed apparently sang backup at times. I always thought he was just an instrumentalist.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

Interesting to see that Ed apparently sang backup at times. I always thought he was just an instrumentalist.

Ed can be seen singing backup on "Lady Lynda" from the Midnight Special in '79, as well as all songs at the '81 Long Beach show (when Carl was absent). In the late '80s/early '90s he also doubled Carl on all his backups, IIRC.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »

When I first saw a clip of the Beach Boys playing with Ed Carter, I thought, wow, who knew David Letterman played with the Beach Boys?   Grin

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:19 AM »

When I first saw a clip of the Beach Boys playing with Ed Carter, I thought, wow, who knew David Letterman played with the Beach Boys?   Grin

LOL

Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:31:47 PM »

As with Ian, Ed politely declined the offer to participate in my book. I believe Jon is correct about a non-disclosure agreement. But he does speak in Billy Hinsche's 1974 doc.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »

I recall the bbfun interview. He mentioned some of the Brian sessions circa the LA Album... Brilliant stuff that he regreted was kept unreleased. He describes this carrousel-type effect Brian achieved by having the guitars play slightly off tune.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »

Let's no forget that Ed wrote a song and rejected ( Surfin' Susie ) for the BB's in the late 70's
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »

Ed also sang Al's part (or was at least an understudy/doubler) for the 1993 Box Set tour for "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."  There is a rehearsal recording where Al says something like "here is Ed Carter's part" and then sings whole song with his harmony part way up in mix.  Sounded like a recording was made so he could listen and learn with the recording.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »

Ed also sang Al's part (or was at least an understudy/doubler) for the 1993 Box Set tour for "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring."  There is a rehearsal recording where Al says something like "here is Ed Carter's part" and then sings whole song with his harmony part way up in mix.  Sounded like a recording was made so he could listen and learn with the recording.

Thanks for reminding me of that recording. Pure, unadulterated Al Jardine voice. Sort of makes up for his reluctance to sing his part on the 20/20 program in 1981:

http://youtu.be/0bxqX4FuZnA?t=4m

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx