gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:42:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson @ Cork, 4 July  (Read 25942 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »

Jeff did a really good version of "She knows me too well" on tour a few years back. I can only go on youtube videos re:matt jardine but he sounds like a slightly better fit to me (no offence Jeff)

ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2014, 03:54:18 AM »

I like Jeff Foskett's singing.  His solo albums are wonderful.  Especially Thru My Window.  That album is chock full of excellent tunes with great vocal performances.  But Matt Jardine's falsetto just feels like it belongs better in a Beach Boys stack.  It has the yearning quality of early Brian.  A bit more of the whine that carries much of the emotion for me.  I have heard Foskett, Kirsch, Baker and Matt Jardine live in person (where it counts) many many times over.  All very talented folks.  Matt would be my first choice if I could choose a dude for the high vocals in a fantasy Beach Boys line-up.  KittyKat's comments seem a bit odd not to realize what an important role Matt is stepping into (quite beautifully I might add).  To call his vocals "adequate" is nonsense. 

I think this sums it up. If you watch Jeff sing "Don't Worry Baby" live, he usually has a smile on his face (and who could blame him?!?). That smile tends to translate to the vocal delivery. Everything about that song is teen angst, and when Jeff's smile carries over to the way he delivers the vocals, something seems slightly off. Of course if I were singing "Don't Worry Baby" on-stage with one (or more) of my lifelong idols, I'd probably have a sh*t-eating grin plastered on my face each night, too...

Anyway, Matt seems to get a bit more emotional in his delivery where appropriate, and you can hear it.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »

Emotional!  Son of a BeachBoy!  Matt welcome home!  Can you say son of a beach in here?
Gohi
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBCtl1jXHUQ

I'm not sure why people are saying Matt Jardine didn't do well on Don't Worry Baby. I like this performance and it's certainly better than any version Jeff did, in my humble opinion.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »

I'm not sure why people are saying Matt Jardine didn't do well on Don't Worry Baby. I like this performance and it's certainly better than any version Jeff did, in my humble opinion.

I think everyone has been complimenting Matt's performance of it, actually!  Smiley
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »

gee yoko hasn't changed since that day she made the turkey sounds which ruined the classic moment when John Lennon and Chuck Berry got a chance to play together.

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »

Yes, SJB--something sounds off. Compare the Long Beach show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFeaKK1o1Qs.

Not sure which is the "original," but the very high version sung at Cork is not working for me.

Professor

I would assume he meant Sloop John B based on watching the videos.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2014, 01:20:25 PM »

I wouldn't say that Matt's a better singer than Jeff (or vice-versa), but Matt's blend with the falsetto is better and more true to Brian's style back in the 1960s.  There's some emotion and sweetness to it while Foskett's vocals will seem forced and mechanical sometimes.
Gohi
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »

I think everyone has been complimenting Matt's performance of it, actually!  Smiley
I remember reading people complaining it was too high for him or something. He sounds great.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx