gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:16:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson @ Cork, 4 July  (Read 25667 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »

Not only is Brian playing the keys, it's audible! (Slight bum note around the 1 min mark, and at the very end you can hear his playing after the rest of the band stops)

This has been the case since at least 2009. He's turned up and down depending on the tune.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »

Videos I found from Hop Farm today since there isn't a thread for that show:

Sloop John B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8g-AU74v0

Do You Wanna Dance?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk-EyIcao5E

California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAE8-LaYug
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »

Not only is Brian playing the keys, it's audible! (Slight bum note around the 1 min mark, and at the very end you can hear his playing after the rest of the band stops)

This has been the case since at least 2009. He's turned up and down depending on the tune.

True, but this was the first time I was easily able to pick out his playing in the mix!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »

Like the little interplay between Al and Brian after the song.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:08:49 PM by zatch » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 02:30:01 AM »

I like jeff but the was not missed last night

You can't beat having al on stage, and matt stepped up to the plate last night.

Best BW show I've ever seen

This going to come across as snarky no matter how I phrase it, so...  Exactly how many BW shows have you seen and from what eras ? Genuine question. Appreciate the qualification, btw.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2014, 03:43:41 AM »

How did you rate Hop Farm?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »

How did you rate Hop Farm?

If that's a question for me, I didn't go. Working.

(If not, apologies)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46:46 AM »

Videos I found from Hop Farm today since there isn't a thread for that show:

Sloop John B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM8g-AU74v0

Do You Wanna Dance?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk-EyIcao5E

California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAE8-LaYug

Yikes, Brian sounds pretty rough on California Girls.

I've noticed that on most of the gigs I've seen him at in recent years...I think it's because it's usually the opening song and he's probably getting a feel for the monitoring system.

On a related note, he looks much thinner in the videos and photos that have surfaced thus far.
RioGrande
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2014, 05:33:56 AM »

I like a lot this configuration of Brian's Band with Al and Matt. I know it's not "permanent" (sigh) , but hope there will be some other gigs. I'm kooking forward to a video with a Matt lead, his falsetto work sounds very good.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2014, 05:53:21 AM »

Matt's falsetto is far superior to Jeff's.

I admire Jeff as Brian's cueman and support, but his voice always dominated Brian's and doesnt capture the sweetness of Brian's original falsetto vocals. I think Matt has a greater ability at capturing that angelic vocal everyone loves.
RioGrande
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2014, 06:32:48 AM »

Yes, that's the point!
Nicko1234
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »

I like a lot this configuration of Brian's Band with Al and Matt. I know it's not "permanent" (sigh) , but hope there will be some other gigs. I'm kooking forward to a video with a Matt lead, his falsetto work sounds very good.

That`s him singing the lead on Do You Wanna Dance? although sadly the song starts halfway through.

You can hear Matt doing the lead on Barbara Ann here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruTCaHf_PxQ
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »

That`s him singing the lead on Do You Wanna Dance? although sadly the song starts halfway through.

You can hear Matt doing the lead on Barbara Ann here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruTCaHf_PxQ

almost as if Brian was singing it aged 24
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »

I like jeff but the was not missed last night

You can't beat having al on stage, and matt stepped up to the plate last night.

Best BW show I've ever seen

This going to come across as snarky no matter how I phrase it, so...  Exactly how many BW shows have you seen and from what eras ? Genuine question. Appreciate the qualification, btw.

I've sen brian six times in the past seven years (not including the reunion tour) I know it's no record but I've seen some amazing shows so going into this one I didnt have the bar set very high. It blew me away, for those who thought jeff departure would be a hindrance to Brian's solo shows you can relax, it's actually improved

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »

Brian had no clue where he was but be was in pretty good form.

He sounded fantastic on H&V especially. He came in late on surfin USA so matt sang the whole song, brian looked confused.

Al was amazing, help me Rhonda and cotton fields went over really well.

A guy at the front was desperate to get his sunflower vinyl signed, I hope he did

Everyone had a great time, seriously everyone was dancing and left the show smiling.

The local pub had a beach boys themed after party with beach boys songs and karaoke, I had a blast

Oh, what local pub? Dammit, I wish I'd known about this  Sad I was booming to talk to anyone about the concert, but ended up going to a pub in the city centre to watch the second half of the Brazil game as I had no idea as to where to go.

But, yeah, the atmosphere was quite good. I had a great time indeed. Just thought that Brian looked confused and not very into the majority of the songs, and often I couldn't make out his voice. When he did step up, he did great.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »

Brian had no clue where he was but be was in pretty good form.

He sounded fantastic on H&V especially. He came in late on surfin USA so matt sang the whole song, brian looked confused.

Al was amazing, help me Rhonda and cotton fields went over really well.

A guy at the front was desperate to get his sunflower vinyl signed, I hope he did

Everyone had a great time, seriously everyone was dancing and left the show smiling.

The local pub had a beach boys themed after party with beach boys songs and karaoke, I had a blast

Oh, what local pub? Dammit, I wish I'd known about this  Sad I was booming to talk to anyone about the concert, but ended up going to a pub in the city centre to watch the second half of the Brazil game as I had no idea as to where to go.

But, yeah, the atmosphere was quite good. I had a great time indeed. Just thought that Brian looked confused and not very into the majority of the songs, and often I couldn't make out his voice. When he did step up, he did great.

We should've arranged a meet up. I was with my girlfriend and she was on her phone most if the gig, would've been good to have a fellow smiley smiler there.. Next time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
markb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:23 AM »

Long term member but first time post. Was at the Hop Farm gig on Saturday and would echo a lot of Shady's comments about the Cork gig. Band played for 90 minutes and dropped 'Girl Don't Tell me' and All Summer Long from the Cork set list. Brian was a little slow starting, first three or four numbers were either flat or he had some issues with his microphone but then he completely nailed 'Heroes' and did a brilliant job with God Only Knows later in the set. Al's vocals were superb throughout, notably on Cottonfields and Sloop John B. Matt Jardine certainly surprised me with his versatility : I haven't seen him since 1993 at Wembley where his role was much more limited but here he was superb. I think the comment about his delivery being ' sweeter'  or ' innocent' than Jeff's is a perceptive one and 'Don't Worry Baby' got a great audience response. That said ' Wild Honey' was an absolute revelation as he literally wailed all the way through backed superbly by the band. One general impression was that the band sounded a little heavier than when I have heard them previously. The only lead that I wish Matt hadn't had was 'Wouldn't It be Nice' which sounded like it was possibly one key too high, wish Al had taken that. The band were very well received by the crowd- I'm guessing between 3500 but hard to tell as I was right at the front and all on stage genuinely seemed to be having a blast. Al and Brian shared a fair bit of banter in the second half of the show as Brian visibly relaxed and ended up trading vocals on Barbara Ann( too slow to my ears but well received), Surfin' USA (which I think Matt was expecting to sing but then found Brian doing it) and everybody chipping in on Fun' at the end. As the band left and the lights dimmed on the stage the sound of thousands of people doing the falsetto part of Fun echoed into the night and will stay with me for a long time!. I have seen Brian and his band more times than I can remember but never with Al or Matt there so I don't feel I am comparing like with like. It was by any standards a terrific gig and  it certainly felt like a new chapter was possible with this line up, a real energy and sense of possibility. Fingers crossed that this configuration get to tour behind Brian's new album .If David can't  be there but Matt can perhaps it would be less BAD,  more BAM...?!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2014, 03:06:59 AM »

Long term member but first time post. Was at the Hop Farm gig on Saturday and would echo a lot of Shady's comments about the Cork gig. Band played for 90 minutes and dropped 'Girl Don't Tell me' and All Summer Long from the Cork set list. Brian was a little slow starting, first three or four numbers were either flat or he had some issues with his microphone but then he completely nailed 'Heroes' and did a brilliant job with God Only Knows later in the set. Al's vocals were superb throughout, notably on Cottonfields and Sloop John B. Matt Jardine certainly surprised me with his versatility : I haven't seen him since 1993 at Wembley where his role was much more limited but here he was superb. I think the comment about his delivery being ' sweeter'  or ' innocent' than Jeff's is a perceptive one and 'Don't Worry Baby' got a great audience response. That said ' Wild Honey' was an absolute revelation as he literally wailed all the way through backed superbly by the band. One general impression was that the band sounded a little heavier than when I have heard them previously. The only lead that I wish Matt hadn't had was 'Wouldn't It be Nice' which sounded like it was possibly one key too high, wish Al had taken that. The band were very well received by the crowd- I'm guessing between 3500 but hard to tell as I was right at the front and all on stage genuinely seemed to be having a blast. Al and Brian shared a fair bit of banter in the second half of the show as Brian visibly relaxed and ended up trading vocals on Barbara Ann( too slow to my ears but well received), Surfin' USA (which I think Matt was expecting to sing but then found Brian doing it) and everybody chipping in on Fun' at the end. As the band left and the lights dimmed on the stage the sound of thousands of people doing the falsetto part of Fun echoed into the night and will stay with me for a long time!. I have seen Brian and his band more times than I can remember but never with Al or Matt there so I don't feel I am comparing like with like. It was by any standards a terrific gig and  it certainly felt like a new chapter was possible with this line up, a real energy and sense of possibility. Fingers crossed that this configuration get to tour behind Brian's new album .If David can't  be there but Matt can perhaps it would be less BAD,  more BAM...?!
Thanks for that, markb! And welcome to the 'posting side of things'. Cheesy
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »

Hi and welcome to the board! Thanks for your review!
I'd like to know from the attendees how they would rate Matt's "Wild honey" against Blondie's from last year (or was it this?)? Does Matt's version sound like the one on Al's live CD?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »

Great review. Welcome, Mark!   Smiley

markb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »

To my ears the Hop Farm version sounded a lot harder than the Family and  Friends version and indeed the Blondie version from last year( although I can only confess to having heard clips via this board). I was stunned at the sheer  wall of sound generated by the band - there was also a heck of a lot going on vocally behind the lead vocal as well). Matt' s performance of it was closer to something out of some sixties soul band than anything else but as  I said in my review of the show the band sounded much more gritty and earthy to than previous times I have seen them. It has made me wonder a little if this heavier sound is something that might be replicated on some of the new tracks on Brian's new album given Joe Thomas' references to Wild Honey and CATP. In a general sense I wonder if Matt is going to bring a little more versatility to the table than Jeff and  that's why a change has taken place.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »

Regardless of your opinion of how things went down with Al and Jones Beach etc. Listen to Sloop and think about how awesome Matt Jardine must feel to be able to harmonize with his 71 yr old dad and his dad's good friend who were 2/5  of one of the best bands of all time.  Talk about being a lucky guy?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:21:09 PM by tpesky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »

To my ears the Hop Farm version sounded a lot harder than the Family and  Friends version and indeed the Blondie version from last year( although I can only confess to having heard clips via this board). I was stunned at the sheer  wall of sound generated by the band - there was also a heck of a lot going on vocally behind the lead vocal as well). Matt' s performance of it was closer to something out of some sixties soul band than anything else but as  I said in my review of the show the band sounded much more gritty and earthy to than previous times I have seen them. It has made me wonder a little if this heavier sound is something that might be replicated on some of the new tracks on Brian's new album given Joe Thomas' references to Wild Honey and CATP. In a general sense I wonder if Matt is going to bring a little more versatility to the table than Jeff and  that's why a change has taken place.

Thank you!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »

Well, Jeff quit, he wasn't fired, and I'm sure the album tracks, whatever they wind up being, were designed well before Matt Jardine was brought on board. I don't think Matt is that dramatically better than Jeff Foskett. From what I've heard of him over the years, he's adequate, but he's not the second coming of Smokey Robinson or something.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx