gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson @ Cork, 4 July  (Read 25584 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »

Can't wait to see a set!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »

It's too bad they couldn't play somewhere in the States on the 4th of July. I'm sure they would have drawn a nice crowd somewhere with that setlist. I know Ireland likes him, and the UK, but they have other days to play there. It also would have been nice competition with the BB in Boston and Jones Beach.
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »

Brian wasn't in the best mood, but the band was fantastic. Matt Jardine did ever so well on Wild Honey.

I was literally in front of Brian, at the front. Got a thumbs up from Al  Grin

Good experience for my first concert. Now I want more! Should have bought the Kent one as well...
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »

It's too bad they couldn't play somewhere in the States on the 4th of July. I'm sure they would have drawn a nice crowd somewhere with that setlist. I know Ireland likes him, and the UK, but they have other days to play there. It also would have been nice competition with the BB in Boston and Jones Beach.

What was the set list?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »

It's too bad they couldn't play somewhere in the States on the 4th of July. I'm sure they would have drawn a nice crowd somewhere with that setlist. I know Ireland likes him, and the UK, but they have other days to play there.

They have other days to play here, too. What's the difference? It's not like BW is the official musical propagandist of the USA. The good aspects of July 4 remain what they were whether BW plays some old Beach Boys (and a few BW) songs within its borders, and I'm sure people's feelings about their assorted home countries remain more or less unchanged regardless.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

Snippet of WIBN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwtfb9dB-o
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:28:03 PM by Mayoman » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »

Sounds an awful lot like Wouldn't It Be Nice.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »

You mean WIBN. Interesting hearing Matt instead of Jeff. I am looking fwd to hearing more from this lineup, either this show or others, just as a comparison. I've never seen Brian without Jeff. (I suppose few people have, really, other than those who saw him with the pre-Jeff BBs.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:28:57 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:10:50 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »

Sorry, the original YouTube poster has it labelled as GOK in the description, and I posted it before I gave it a listen.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

What was the set list?

It includes "Barbara Ann" and had nothing new. Every song mentioned so far is a classic. I'm sure if they played rarities it would have been mentioned by now. So, it's an oldies set. It has to be. And I'm sure the band did a great job with it, as they always do. Brian does have a better band, IMO, than Mike & Bruce (though M & B seem to have improved over the years). They just have more firepower. A sax and horn players, more percussion bells & whistles, etc.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »

You mean WIBN. Interesting hearing Matt instead of Jeff. I am looking fwd to hearing more from this lineup, either this show or others, just as a comparison. I've never seen Brian without Jeff. (I suppose few people have, really, other than those who saw him with the pre-Jeff BBs.)

I still wish Al would sing Wouldn't It Be Nice.  I guess it's getting tough for him to sing that one at his age but he just totally owned it on the 2012 tour.

Nicko1234
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »

It includes "Barbara Ann" and had nothing new. Every song mentioned so far is a classic. I'm sure if they played rarities it would have been mentioned by now. So, it's an oldies set. It has to be. And I'm sure the band did a great job with it, as they always do. Brian does have a better band, IMO, than Mike & Bruce (though M & B seem to have improved over the years). They just have more firepower. A sax and horn players, more percussion bells & whistles, etc.

Of course but there are oldies sets that still have some interesting song selections and Brian and his band always play some non-hits. Will be interesting to see how many leads Al was given...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

It's too bad they didn't play in Japan on the 4th too. Why does it matter? I would imagine Brian was made offers to play these two gigs. He probably didn't pick the dates.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »

What was the set list?

Shouldn't you wait for the actual set list before making such declarative statements? Brian's band has almost never done "Wild Honey" (a few times with Blondie last year), so it already isn't a typical "oldies" set list. Most BB-related bands often do slightly more "meat and potatoes" set lists when it's their first gig in around 8 months.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2014/festival-cork-ireland-1bc18138.html
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

If that's the full set list, then that's about as exciting as one could hope for in a 16-song setlist.

GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »

Says it's partial.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 08:35:37 PM »

Says it's partial.

Yeah, I guessed that's what "with Al Jardine and partial set" meant, but I'm curious to see how much was missed.

Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

This was posted to the Beach Boys Friends group over on Facebook:

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »

Looks good to me! 

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »

Brian wasn't in the best mood, but the band was fantastic. Matt Jardine did ever so well on Wild Honey.

Good experience for my first concert. Now I want more! Should have bought the Kent one as well...

Brian really didn't expect Al to show up, when he did Brian went into a funk....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RioGrande
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »

Brian really didn't expect Al to show up, when he did Brian went into a funk....

Roll Eyes
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »

This was posted to the Beach Boys Friends group over on Facebook:

Thanks to everyone for posting the updates. Very cool.

Now THAT is what I call a setlist! Even includes the chord cheats... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx